“One of the best in the nation”

Taste of Little India
Ranked #14 of 169 Restaurants in Merced
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I've eaten a LOT of indian food. Much of it prepared by India natives. This random restaurant has some of the better Indian food I've had around the county. After several visits to Merced, it was my first choice for lunch. Highly recommended - and the vegan options are great too!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We just love Taste of Little India. Every time we have money and time we end up going there.
We love the environment real laid back not to loose but not snobby. Their buffet is great that is probably the best way to try their food if you go a la carte, the chicken tikka masala is their main dish and is home run. Also, if you are going their for the first time the sample platter for two is a good choice. They offer a vegetarian and a meat one. Yes it is true that the wait staff has been in fluctuation but it seems that they have a group of guys that seem to be doing a very good job. P.S. try the mango lasi its to die for.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Taste of Little India is an excellent place to have lunch. The buffet contains two kinds of vegetables and two chicken dishes. My husband is not fond of really spicy Indian food but he found the dishes to be just perfectly seasoned. You can also order from the menu if the buffet is not your style.

If you intend to get a seat at noon you need to go about a half hour before or after 12 p.m. as it gets quite crowded and is a fairly small restaurant. This restaurant is located in downtown Merced almost at the north end of Main Street.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Taste of Little India has a nice menu and i have tried many of the dishes with no major complaints. I'm not a big fan of the nahn...it seems to be thicker and not as good as other indian places i've had. Coming from the bay area, i have a high standard for Indian food, so I can't say it's the best....but being in Merced this is the best you are going to find for sure!!

1  Thank paulf477
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I are regulars here, and we also stop by with out-of-town visitors whenever they visit us. If you have never eaten here, may I suggest the "Chicken Tikka Masala", and order it "mild". If you are used to eating spicy foods you might try the "medium", but unless you are Indian, stay away from ordering it "hot"! I also like the Karahi Chicken (with bell peppers and tomatoes), and the Saag Paneer (Spinach with cheese). My husband loves the mango lassi, and I love the hot chai. We have known, respected, and appreciated the owner since he opened the restaurant in Atwater, as well as the cooks. They are Indian, but the servers are locals (any nationality). The decor is Indian, very pleasant.
If you happen to be there during lunch hour, that is a good start if you've never eaten here, as you get to taste a variety of dishes in a buffet. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Been to Taste of Little India? Share your experiences!