“Great Buffet”

Taste of Little India
Ranked #19 of 159 Restaurants in Merced
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Merced, California
“Great Buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Taste of Little India is an excellent place to have lunch. The buffet contains two kinds of vegetables and two chicken dishes. My husband is not fond of really spicy Indian food but he found the dishes to be just perfectly seasoned. You can also order from the menu if the buffet is not your style.

If you intend to get a seat at noon you need to go about a half hour before or after 12 p.m. as it gets quite crowded and is a fairly small restaurant. This restaurant is located in downtown Merced almost at the north end of Main Street.

• Visited July 2011

California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Indian Food...for Merced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

Taste of Little India has a nice menu and i have tried many of the dishes with no major complaints. I'm not a big fan of the nahn...it seems to be thicker and not as good as other indian places i've had. Coming from the bay area, i have a high standard for Indian food, so I can't say it's the best....but being in Merced this is the best you are going to find for sure!!

1 Thank paulf477
Merced, California
“Best Indian food I've had... anywhere! Good Vegetarian choices as well!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I are regulars here, and we also stop by with out-of-town visitors whenever they visit us. If you have never eaten here, may I suggest the "Chicken Tikka Masala", and order it "mild". If you are used to eating spicy foods you might try the "medium", but unless you are Indian, stay away from ordering it "hot"! I also like the Karahi Chicken (with bell peppers and tomatoes), and the Saag Paneer (Spinach with cheese). My husband loves the mango lassi, and I love the hot chai. We have known, respected, and appreciated the owner since he opened the restaurant in Atwater, as well as the cooks. They are Indian, but the servers are locals (any nationality). The decor is Indian, very pleasant.
If you happen to be there during lunch hour, that is a good start if you've never eaten here, as you get to taste a variety of dishes in a buffet. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Merced
“Wait isn't that my food?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

I have eaten here many times but it had been awhile since the last time I had gone in and all the wait staff was new. Well we made our order and when they brought the food out they took it to a table behind ours and after they had started sampling our dishes the waiter went to their table, apologized for bring them the wrong food and picked it up and brought it to our table without saying anything to us like nothing had happened. I heard the people say they thought something was wrong but the food was really good. No refund, no discount, didn't even say anything about it. I was just so shocked I didn't know what to say. The food had already taken a really long to come out and we didn't want to wait so we just ate it. If the would have taken it back they probably would have just replated it anyway.

washington
“the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

I lived in Merced for 5 years and was a regular at this restaurant, coming from England I think I can honestly say I know my curry and this is the best I have tasted since I have been in America. After leaving Merced I have been all over California, Oregon and Washington and look forward to passing through Merced again just to have a good Bhuna, the local indian restaurant here in Washington doesn't even know what a bhuna is!.
Any way back to Taste of Little India, always good food, always full when I leave, nice decor, very good prices and I look forward to going back there again

Been to Taste of Little India? Share your experiences!