WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Paul's Place

Paul's Place
Ranked #9 of 157 Restaurants in Merced
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Merced, California
“Down Home Cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We often have guests at Serenity Gardens B&B who are looking for a nice American dinner at a reasonable price so we give them directions to Paul's Place. Folks always return very happy with the food, service and prices.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Serenitygardens

California
“Ask for Michelle - best service in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love the home town feel and the new steak fries. Something for everyone at anytime of day. My daughter always orders the french toast for dinner with a salad on the side.

• Visited February 2014
Modesto, California
“Great place for a family meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our family loves going to this place together. It's affordable, delicious and has a good menu. I love the burgers best!

Arlington, Virginia
“Major Disappointment....Super Big Portions but average food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I went here based off the Trip Advisor reports and the internet. The service slightly above average. The food portions was large but the pricing and the quality of food to include temperature of food was a major let down. The carrott cake was also barely adequate. We had the ribs and the fish. The fish was decent but the ribs was a lot but the quality and sauce was not good. I felt like i was eating in a town in northerning Wyoming or along a major tourist area where the food is simply fuel. I do not recommend this place unless you are looking for large portions. This place reminded me of Shoneys back in the day!

Merced, California
“salad left a bad taste in my mouth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I always get the same thing at paul's; the crispy chicken salad. Last time it was great with fresh lettuce, fresh bacon, freshly grated cheese and good fried chicken strips chopped up. This time I got "bag" lettuce that was old dry, and wilty with bland unrip tomatoes, pregrated bag cheese that had only a bitter freezer burn taste which could only be covered up by lots of thousand island dressing. The chicken was greasy and I sent it back and was then served another type of chicken strip fried but with no taste except for the bar-b-que sauce I dipped it in. I was not happy wih the Salad and made comment to the manager "Larry" about the food to which he just replied that I should be a food critic. He did not offer to redo the salad with a better one or refund me for the cost. I took the most of the salad home but choose to make a detour to Sonic to make a purchase of a burger with taste. I threw teh salad from Paul's in the garbage and told my wife we would not be going back to Paul's for dinner any time soon. Paul''s restraunt does not keep consistant quality for their salads and when paying around $10.00 would think that Paul's would put more care in what they put into their salads. I have been told it is based upon the cook working. I think it is more than just who is cooking.I think I will be going to sizzler, Denny's or Carrows going forward. Paul's used to use fresh products in their foods but I think based upon my discussions with the owner's son that they seem to be caring more about using cheap products with less taste then using the good products with taste. I am so disappointed with the Management at Paul's place with their lack of concern to handle a customer's voiced disatisfaction with their food. I can be reached by Paul's management at 209-723-5188 if you care enough to find out what you can do to make a better salad. Not sure if giving my contact information will help since my concerns in the past have been voiced to the owner's son as well as other managers at various times over the years. My last statement to Larry (the manager on duty tonight) was that they should be using fresh products to put into their salads since that is the best for a good salad.

• 2 of 5 bubbles