“Perfect place to stay the night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect place to stay the night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My photographer buddy and I were on a trip to Yosemite and needed a good place to stay the night before moving on. This motel fit the bill perfectly. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room very comfortable and nicely appointed and clean. The beds came with 4 smaller pillows of varying density (thank you) and quite new mattresses. It's easy access to the freeway at the south exit to Merced at Hwy 140, the main road to Yosemite. I would definitely consider staying here again. Did I mention it was quiet? (although you will hear roller board noise as it is wheeled down the tile walkways).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Merced, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Horrible hotel, stank, room was not made up, was trash in the room, very unclean. Even found a hair on my pillow. People roamed in the hallways all night. The door looked as if it had been broken into once before.

• Stayed December 2013
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We arrived in Merced, and checked in. The clerk at the desk gave us directions to park in the back of the motel (near the freeway) to unload our car and be close to our room, which was three doors away from the outside. We felt a little weird parking back there but since she suggested it, we figured it must be ok. We walked into the hall and I almost wanted to go get another motel. The entrance was dirty and felt 'weird'. We brought most of our things into the room and found that the room itself was comfortable and clean so I changed my mind. We went out to dinner, came back and settled in for the night. About 3am, my husband took the dog out for a walk. About 4 am, I thought about going out to my camera charger from a bag I had in the car but didn't feel safe going out there at night so I opted to wait till daylight. My husband had to go out, again, around 6am and he found that our side window of our Expedition had been busted out and the car had been broken into and they stole our bag with all our cords in it and other personal stuff and our Garmin (which was NOT in sight) and a plastic box full of change that was hidden under the seat. We had taken almost everything into the motel except for some things that we had tied down in the very back and a bunch of other clothes and things we didn't need for the night. We called the police to give a report but of course, there was nothing they could do. He did tell us that this is not the first time they have been called to this motel. After he left, one of the maintenance men came to help my husband vacuum out the car and the surrounding area of glass....and he also told us that this has happened before back in the back. Another employee that came out to help said the same thing. My question is....IF they are aware that there are break ins back there..WHY do they park people back there? We are not familiar with the area but were told that there really isn't any part of town that is safe from this type of thing and that we had actually stayed in the 'better' part of town. I just want to warn others not to stay at this motel...and IF they do or have no where else to go...park up front by the lobby. We noticed another vehicle across from where we parked had the front window smashed. We don't know if it was already like that as it wasn't there when we arrived or if it happened that night as well.

Room Tip: Park close to the front of the motel, if you plan on staying here and take EVERYTHING into your room...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
South of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Part of the Choice Hotels chain too which I try to use. We stayed here after leaving Yosemite on route to Pacific Coast. A great location as you can get away from the national park prices, but not have a really long drive in the evening. Rooms are clean, breakfast was good. Would recommend and use again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here on my way to Yosemite. Good location close to the highway, nice spacious rooms, swimming pool and good breakfast. The area did seem a little strange (didn't feel safe getting out to my car at night) The hotel hallways are rather poorly lit and property is full of signs "park at your own risk, not responsible for theft"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mason City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was an average (in a good way) motel. Clean rooms, 2 queen room was large, guest computer, breakfast, pool. Bed super comfortable. Restaurants within walking distance. Negatives were the hallway was totally open to the outdoors so it seemed a little dirty. There was quite a bit of noise from guests in the hallway. They were doing some work across the road so extreme noise there. Glad we weren't trying to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blueharley
Budmouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I felt very unsafe as the room door opened into a corridor which was open to the outside! Very insecure. The room faced on to the car park so the curtains had to be closed at all times for privacy. The wash basin was in the room, rather than in the bathroom. Why?

The pool looked mucky, with unidentified stuff floating in the bottom of it. We went in to breakfast, but spotting the filthy carpet, we swiftly left and went to the restaurant opposite.

I'm glad to see the place is being renovated - it certainly needs it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends