“Adequate Motel...Clean and Friendly”

Americas Best Value Inn- Merced
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Merced
New Ulm, MN
“Adequate Motel...Clean and Friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Pros:
* friendly, helpful, and efficient check in person and process
* room was clean and comfortable and everything (including wifi) worked well
* nice clean pool
Cons:
* breakfast was pretty minimal
* motel style setup with exterior entry
* parking lot difficult to maneuver

This was a basic 2 star style accommodation and was a good value at $55/night for a king "executive". Dont know what executive gave us other than a jetted tub?

The city of Merced looked "tired and unloved". There was trash all along the roadsides and many/most residences and businesses had bars on their windows.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank AlumniGuy
abvimerced, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Friendly staff, Clean room, Nice pool, I'll take two :o) Free continental breakfast includes homemade waffles, blueberry bagels, english muffins, white and wheat toast, cinnamon raisin bagels, several kinds of cold cereal, coffee, tea, juice, milk, fresh fruit, and so on. Pretty good spread for free but not for everyone I guess. Thank you again for your review and be safe on all your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

America's Best Value Inn Merced

First things first. For $50, you can't expect too much. The hotel is next to the highway, which is a good thing. The staff was friendly enough. As I was checking in, however, a man came to the desk after he had checked in, asking for a different room. His smelled badly, he said. When asked by the clerk if it was a smoking room, he said no. While they were setting him up, I asked for a ground floor room and was told they were sold out. The clerk told me that a second floor room was available in a section that had just been remodeled. It would smell nice, I was told. I think they had done some renovation recently.

As we hefted our luggage to the second floor, a maid informed us that she had turned on our air conditioner. Thank God, as it was 109 that day. I rated the room a 6 for a $50 hotel. It had free WiFi! It was fairly clean, but I just couldn't get past the thought that it had a LOT of stories to tell. we were out by 4 AM.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gregman1
abvimerced, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
What LOT of stories??? You received a great rate, great location freeway close, great service having the housekeeper turn on your air conditioner prior to your arrival so your room would be nice and cool at check in, and you were give a nice clean newly remodeled room. It sounds like you had great stay though your review sure doesn't reflect it. As far as I can tell, the worst of your visit was that you had to "HEFT" your luggage up 11 stairs, I truly am sorry for the inconvenience. We are a very popular hotel and unfortunately half the rooms are upstairs, so if you don't request it at the time of your reservation, don't be surprised if we don't have a downstairs just waiting around for you at the last minute. As for the gentlemen you overheard in the lobby, sounds like he had an issue, he reported it immediately, and we rectified it immediately. Tell you what, why don't we let him write his own review???
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Amazingly friendly staff; very clean rooms; wonderful bed; excellent price. Over all, an extremely pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lance1911
abvimerced, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Amazing is a great way to start a review:o) I am so glad you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Your kind words serve as such a powerful reminder as to why we have become so successful in such a short period of time. Our direction is clear.....Great service, Great value. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you the next time your passing through.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

If the price wasn't so cheap, I would have given 2 stars.

Pros - Great price, good location, and okay breakfast. The room felt clean.

Cons - THE SHOWER WAS THE WORST I've had in a long time - No water pressure & the temperature fluctuated wildly. The counter top where the sink was located was dipping significantly - I was terrified that we would break it.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pvtmulholland
abvimerced, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Great price, good location and clean room, I'll buy that. My maintenance supervisor and I did check the counter top and it was dipping a little but was in no danger of breaking so no reason to be "terrified"? Now the shower was definitely a problem on our end. Apparently one of our main tankless gas fired water heaters tripped a circuit breaker keeping it from firing the burner. We were at maximum capacity that day and of course there were fluctuations in the hot water because of this and it wasn't resolved until later in the day. I do apologize for the inconvenience since we were clearly at fault in this situation. If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then a hot shower in the morning is the most important activity of the day :o) I am truly sorry you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay with us and wish you all the best in your future travels.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here, it was cheapest one around, this hotel has bad and good side,
Bad - room we were in was very very dirty, sheet were uncleaned had big patch of stain on it, carpet... my god was horrible, the term steam cleaner never came to mind of hotel manager i guess, the chair was so dirty so ill condition that i was afraid of leaving clothes on it, may be a bug or something would come out of it, we leave this kind of chair on garbage to throw away. its not near to yosemite (1.5-2hrs from here)
Its pretty old hotels i am kind of ok with that if its kept clean,
Good - break fast was not very bad, bathroom and harsh towels were clean.Cheap price for night!!! It had value but it would be perfect place if it was clean. Very fast internet.
I would not stay here again with my family.

Room Tip: Before check in make sure you check the room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AK-who-Travels
, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Nothing but the best for my family, (as long as its super cheap) I don't know about you, but if my room was as bad as you stated and I had my family with me, I would have called the front desk immediately and requested another room or a full refund. You chose to do neither which concerns me about this review being accurate. I looked at all your other reviews for hotels and restaurants and noticed a common pattern. You commented on them as "cheap" which you very much liked, but always something wrong with them. I am very proud of my hotel and my staff, and when someone challenges either of them I take it very seriously and investigate the validity of the issue. We are not immune to making mistakes and when we do, I own up to them. But.......when a complaint is without merit, then it is also my job to state the obvious, this review is just plain false. We are a budget hotel that provides outstanding service and a nice clean environment that families all over the world have visited and loved their stay with us. I am sorry that you were not one of them.
Louisiana, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights....The service was absolutley Outstanding ...An A+ as my Husband would say and he is a picky man... We are from out of town just stayed to go to Yosemite National Park. I had a nice woman check me in very respectful and fast. The Manager was also on sight in the lobby when i checked in which is rare usually with hotels (we travel quite a bit) the manager is never there definte plus shows he cares. Then the morning me and my husband were getting ready to check out of our room we decide to get breakfast why not the room was clean spacious and even had free wifi! I said lets try the breakfast and the front desk lady who later introuduced herself as Vanesa let us in 10 minutes early! A plus she was very nice stood there and watched the news with us because we invited her to drink a quick cup of coffee with us very sweet girl. Overall A fantastic stay we would definetly recomend this hotel to everyone ...Great staff, clean comfy rooms oh and the breakfast was good not a huge selection but definetly hit the spot as my husband said.

Room Tip: Rooms was spacious,clean,comfortable!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meghan S
, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
REMARKABLE, that's a new one and I have to say, I LIKE IT! Service is the reason that travelers keep on coming back time and time and time again. My staff is what makes this hotel so inviting and the incredible job they do is without a doubt why our hotel is so successful. Thank you again for your A+ review and good luck in all of your future travels.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

It's a simple concept. The staff is nice but offers a discount specifically for posting good reviews on trip advisor. That's a bit shady in my book. This hotel is rated one of the top 3 hotels in Merced only for this. Like I said, you get what you pay for... I stay in hotels on business 9 months out of the year and all I expect out of a hotel is a clean bed, a hot shower, and a secure room..... at least the bed was clean. You pay for a 2-3 star hotel and that is what you get. Just saying.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank GypsyKatie
, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Merced, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
You pay for a 2-3 star hotel and that's exactly what you get. THANK YOU! That is exactly what we advertise and the reason we have such great reviews and are rated so well on this site. We "earn" everyone of our great reviews with hard work and great service. I think travelers will find it very hard to believe that all these wonderful reviews were the result of a discount given to the guest after they already left the hotel since it is impossible to leave a review for us on our own network because this site is designed to reject any correspondence made from the hotel from a guest. Just something to think about???