“Terrible first-hand experience”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our room was sweltering HOT when we opened the door. The ancient window a/c unit with a clogged vent filter took to long to affect the room. We checked in late and that made it very hard to go to sleep. It was cooler outside in the night air and we probably could have slept better in the minivan with the windows down.

The sheets were clean but the beds are in need of major rehab. The mattresses are old.

The shower door was difficult to close. Even more dangerous was the bath room window. The latch did not lock and the window could be opened from the outside. I placed the soap dish in the window seal to limit the opening to make it impossible for someone to crawl through or at least I would hear them coming in the room. This compromised the safety of the room and is a major failure on the motel’s part.

Another thing, I booked the room through Priceline and I understand Priceline rooms are guaranteed for 2 people in the room. However, the motel policies that I got when I booked stated 2 children could stay in the room free as long as they used the existing beds. That brought our occupancy to 4. I still have the policies in writing.

Here is the problem. The bathroom had 2 towels and 2 bath clothes on the rack. The next morning we asked a staff member for 2 more towels and 2 more bath clothes. She said we could have 1 towel and we must exchange a used towel for the other. WHAT???!!! After a lengthy and exhausting effort, we finally got the towels. RIDICULOUS!! The last thing I want to do in the morning is to fight the staff for towels.

I booked this room solely on the tripadvisor reviews and, after really examining the reviews tonight (the night after my stay); they eerily begin to sound the same. Also, I noticed the one review posters and their associated broken English styles and they just started traveling with tripadvisor the same year of their one review. Could some thing fishy be going on here? Could there be faking reviews for this motel? I know this is a serious charge but it is my opinion. You are free to form your own.

I’m sure there will be some type of reply from the management to probably make excuses. Nevertheless, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. These problems are enough to keep me away forever.

My recommendation is that you take my terrible first-hand experience and choose some where else to stay.

Room Tip: "If you must stay here, stay out of unsafe room 106"
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank layztrav
Manny S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for your opinion/review about us. I see that you did not enjoy your stay here. However, i agree that weather is hot here in Merced and downstairs rooms are little bit cooler than upstaires. As you mentioned that AC units are old, i agree with you that AC units are old and we are in process of changing couple of rooms a month. In addition, all the other problems that had with old mattress, bathroom windows, and bathroom door could be taken care of easily if we were aware of that. Yes i agree that maximum occupancy is 4 people including 2 adults and 2 children under the age of 16 stay free of charge when using a existing bedding(Policy just changed again as of yesterday to Children under the age of 12 stay free of charge when using a existing bedding). Moreover, your reservation did not include any notes or request that they are 4 people so how can we assume that. If we were drawn attention upon check in regarding this we would have took care of the linen issue right away. As far as you concern about faking a reviews, TripAdvisor take serious steps towards it and they make sure that all the reviews are not fake. Thank You for your opinion and good luck in your travelling journey ahead. We appreciate your business. Thank You !

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed 2 nights over here. First night, I had a bad experience with AC having noise coming all over night. I asked to change room next day and it was done without any issues. The other room was clean and had a nice experience over there. Microwave and Refrig. made a easy stay here.it is a comfortable one with this price paid.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Manny S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank You for leaving us a good review/opinion about your stay. We appreciate your time and effort that you have put towards us for sharing your opinion. I see that you had some difficulties during first night of your stay with AC; however, we would have been able to solve AC issue first night of your stay if we knew about it. However, AC's in all of our rooms are installed in the back of the room, instead of next to the bed or under the window to minimize the noise from AC. However, i am glad to hear that our staff was able to solve your problem right away when you told them. We hope that we can make your stay into great experience next time when you are in Merced by staying with us again. We appreciate your business and time that you have invested towards us. Thank You !

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We do our research to find nice clean lodging without regard for brand. We want (1) clean rooms, (2) amenities, i.e. refrigerator, free internet, etc. (3) comfy beds (4) low cost. We were pleased to find all of these at the Sandpiper. Manny was very friendly and wanted more than anything to please his guests with customer service and clean rooms. The ice machine was out of service, so Manny gave us some from his kitchen. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012
Manny S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for leaving great review/opinion for us. I appreciate your time and effort that you put toward us to write a review. I am glad to hear that you search for lodging facilities in Merced and you decide to go with us. I am very glad to hear that we meet your expectation. In addition, yes we do try hard to keep our hotel clean as possible and maintain excellent price vs. quality ratio. Moreover, i am happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us and you will stay with us when you are in our area. We appreciate your business and we were glad to have you. We hope your journey goes well ahead and hope to see you soon in the future. Thank You !

Reviewed August 11, 2012

One of the best experience of hotel stay and services, it was as peaceful as anyone could ask for. The room service and the cleanliness overall eye catching. This is one of the place where you get more than you pay and expect. All my friends were happy regarding my decision of selecting this hotel. A place definitely should be visited once again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Manny S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank You so much for taking a time and leaving us an excellent review/opinion for us. We are glad to hear that you and your friends enjoy staying with us and it was best experience for you. In addition, we are glad to hear that you found everything clean in our hotel room and service was excellent. Moreover, i am very happy that price vs. quality ratio came excellent for you. We hope to see you soon in near future if you are in Merced. Once again, thank you so much for your time and effort to leave us excellent review. We appreciate your business. Thank You !

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Had a very pleasant time at this hotel. The room we received was very spacious, clean, and affordable. The pool was nice and relaxing, especially during the hot summer day. The staff was quite friendly and did well in informing us about the city and its prime locals, along with giving us discounts at many of the nearby restaurants. All in all had a wonderful time and we shall be staying again whenever we require rooms in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your excellent review.opinion about us. I highly appreciate that you took your time and wrote us a review. We are glad to hear that you like our room or room that we assigned to you for your stay. In addition, we are glad to hear that you received discount at near by restaurants for staying with us and dining their. We hope to see you soon in near future if you are in Merced. Once again, Thank You for your time and effort to leave us a excellent review. We appreciate your business !

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We had a reservation for two nights at this hotel. The location is very good, near Yosemite but without abusive prices of this park.
We had a problem and after check-in we had to leave because we received a call from our country that we were forced to return home.
Despite having paid the entire stay, the hotel address so we only charge the first night and reintegrated the rest.
A hotel with good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manny S, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank You for leaving us a review/opinion about your stay. We are glad to hear that our price vs. quality ratio was excellent for your stay and that is what we known for. However, since you made your reservation through 3rd party web site, we are entitle to charge the full amount if cancellation time is cut off. However, depending on the personal circumstance/situation we do make some judgments that benefits customers. In addition, this is not our policy to do all the time for all the future customers since it effects our inventory for that day at the hotel. Only few things that we carry at the hotel and its value, customer service, and cleanliness. We hope that everything is fine with you at back home that made you go back in emergency. Once again, thank you for your time and effort for leaving us a review. We hope to be better in future. If you are in our area or visiting Yosemite national park again in the future, we hope that sandpiper lodge comes up in your mind first. Thank You !

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked online for a 2 night stay using reviews to make my decision. When drove up to the Sandpiper I had concerns due to the age appearance. Don't let outward appearances fool you! This was a very clean and well maintained motel, nothing fancy and with the basic motel amenities makes this a good choice when visiting Yosemite. Breakfast was Continental at the front desk with no sit down. I only had two issues, one was the old outdated electrical wall outlets which did not have the ground plug for my laptop power cord (got one from the office) and the other was the traffic noise on highway 99 next door.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manny S, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

First of all, thank you for making a reservation with us for 2 nights. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I really appreciate that you took some time and left us a great review. We hope that we see you soon in near future when you decide to go back to Yosemite National Park. Thank You so much for your time and effort that you have put toward us to write us great review. Thank You !