“Great surprise”

Sam Cafe
Ranked #23 of 162 Restaurants in Merced
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We've Been Around For A Long Time Making Great Food. Sam Is Great!
Reviewed June 6, 2012

A great surprise in Merced. Great food, good service and value price.

Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

I found the place after searching for something new on trip advisor. I went with a small group, we all ordered different thing and everyone was completely satisfied. The waitstaff was very friendly and helpful with the questions we had. And the owner Sam was there walking around and chatting up the customers making sure everyone was happy. The food was excellent and I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I don't think many people come to Merced, especially this part of town to look for culinary excellency but this place is quite unique. First of all, chef is from Laos, a neighbor to Thailand and he cooks pretty decent thai dishes and ubiquitous asian (chinese) dishes like Orange Chicken, egg rolls etc. I tried combo Pad Thai (containing pork, seafood all stir-fried with rice noodle). Quite authenthic and it's quite spicy because I ordered spice level 6/10. So be careful if you are not used to eat spicy food. Fried calamari is so so. This place does not offer a complete diversity of thai dishes you can see in any other places but dishes are fairly priced.
I would give 3 stars if this restaurant is in bigger town but since this is a good alternative to Grills, BBQ and buffet, it should be more appropriately rated as 4 stars. I also noticed a large population of southeast asian decedents in this town. If you could make friend with them, you could even have a better meal!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

On our return from Yosemite, we happened to be looking for a local (non-chain) restaurant in the Merced area. Couldn't agree more with the other excellent reviews. We had the Orange Chicken, Combination Pad Thai, and spicy soft shell shrimp. All three dishes were outstanding. The crisp vegetables served with the shrimp were outstanding. We've had great Thai food in many places, and Sam Cafe ranks amongst the best. We'll make this a regular stop when in the Merced area.

1  Thank Herbert F
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant advertises itself as Thai but it is Laotian. In either case, it was delicious. I had an entree of chicken, peppers, onions, and basil. My husband had huge bowl of soup. We also had an order of Imperial Rollls. Everything was perfect. Sam came out to talk to all the customers; he was charming. There was a funny incident Iust share. They offer Thai which is coffee with cream over ice and I asked for decaf coffee. She said they couldn't give me that because it was already made up. But she did say they had hot decaf coffee. So I asked her for that along with a glass of ice. Then I told her to just pour the coffee over the ice which she gladly did. And so I got what I wanted in the first place!

Been to Sam Cafe? Share your experiences!