“Highly recommended for Yosemite”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at HI EXPRESS Merced before our trip to Yosemite National Park. The location is good, there is a good Italian restaurant in a walking distance, the room was big and convenient. Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HIXMerced, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide a convenient setting off point for your trip to the park. We hope you had a great breakfast with us before heading out, and got to spend some quality time seeing the sights of Yosemite!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year and this past week I had made a mistake with my reservation for this weekend. The front desk person transferred me to the Manager's voicemail and I received a call back promptly. The Manager at this facility does a great job and was able to help me with my situation. I will continue to stay only at this hotel when in Merced. The facility is in great shape, the rooms are very clean and modern, and the staff is very attentive and friendly. Thanks again for another great experience with your hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites as a return guest! We appreciate your loyalty, and will continue to work to earn your return every stay. Thank you again!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in March 2013. I'd like to first state that I read some reviews claiming this hotel doesn't have an elevator. This is 100% inaccurate information. This hotel has an elevator.

This is, however, the first Holiday Inn Express that I've stayed in that didn't have a fridge and/microwave in the standard room. We've stayed at HIE in other cities and just assumed that the fridge and microwave were standard in a standard room. Wrong. I asked if the hotel would possibly bring us a fridge, at least and I offered to pay more. The story I got was that all of the rooms with refrigerators were spoken for - but we could move into another (higher priced) room... if all of those rooms were spoken for, how could we move into one? The front desk clerk was incredibly helpful though and offered use of their fridge if needed. After some discussion we decided to stay put. I know it's not the hotel's fault that I didn't pay closer attention to the amenities section - but I think there should be consistency among all HIE locations. Clearly there isn't. I will certainly pay better attention next time.

We were put in an ADA room - which really only affected us in the bathroom. The bathtub had a very annoying (but useful if we were handicapped) bench seat that was held up by a poorly designed/functioning latch. The bathroom counter was less than half the length of standard counters in other hotels... I'm not sure if it's because of it being an ADA room or if this is the norm for HIE in Merced. But, it was a little frustrating for us. There wasn't enough room.

Yes, this hotel is in the vicinity of the Highway 99 and a residential apartment complex, but noise was a non-issue for us. Our room was on the Parsons side of the building. There was more noise from the ice machine and whatever machine ran in the room next to us than from the outside. Luckily, we only heard the noise while in the hallway. Once we were inside our room, we didn't hear it.

The breakfast was standard for HIE. Pancakes, omelets, cereal, fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc. Nothing really spectacular, but good enough to tide us over until lunch.

The staff is what made this a very good and not an average rating. Every time we walked through the lobby we were greeted with friendly smiles. They gave us directions and printed out maps when we needed. We also got a little bag of treats (bottle water and 2 snack bags) for being a member of the HIE loyalty program. That was certainly a nice touch. They even tried to find some batteries for me. Incredibly nice and helpful staff.

The HIE is not our primary choice for hotels. Unfortunately, our primary choice isn't in this area. So, since we'd stayed at other HIEs, we decided to go with a brand we knew. I personally don't think I'd stay at this HIE again simply because their "standard" room doesn't seem to align with standard rooms (with fridge and microwave) of other HIE locations. For the money, we could have stayed elsewhere and had a few more (standard) amenities.

Room Tip: Choose the Parsons side of the building. There is far less street traffic than freeway traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheDivineMissM_89801
HIXMerced, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a complete review of our hotel! We are very thankful that you mentioned the service provided by our staff. We apologize for the confusion over refrigerators and microwaves; new ones will be installed in all standard rooms in a few weeks. Currently, just our suites feature refrigerators and microwaves. We move a few spares from one room to another to honor requests, but they are in high demand and not always available. We are looking forward to our upcoming installation in all rooms!

Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Merced, and we hope to provide you with an even better stay the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was in a room away from the freeway, but next to Parsons Ave., which was very noisey. There is an apartment complex across the street, so there is alot of street traffic with all the coming and going.

Other than that, the room was larger than I expected, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good and consisted of a nice selection. I really liked the cinnamon rolls. :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
HIXMerced, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our hotel! While our windows are double-paned to help abate noise, we understand your concern and are happy to provide a room further from the road when requested. We are pleased that you enjoyed our signature cinnamon rolls!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We travel a lot with our pet and have found the Holiday Inn Expresses that DO take dogs are our favorite place to stay. This facility seemed brand new and was very modern. We used our free night and just had to pay for the pet fee of $25. Everything was clean and as expected. The front desk girl was nice and friendly. We will continue to stay at the Holiday Inn Expresses. I just wish more of them allowed pets!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We wish we could take credit for your fantastic review, but is there a chance you have us mistaken for another Holiday Inn Express & Suites? We love our pets, and our pet-owning guests, but when we opened four years ago guest preferences dictated that in addition to being a non-smoking hotel, we unfortunately do not allow pets. We apologize for not being able to accommodate the cuddliest members of the family!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Sleep is best away from the freeway, I used my CLC card here and it is one of the top values of any hotel I have ever used the card for. near Starbucks, McDonalds. We brought a large group of youth who were well behaved, but stayed up late, as youth like to do. These folks were always courteous and attentive.

Room Tip: sleep is best away from the freeway, used my CLC card here and it is one of the top values of any ho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us! We too found the youth group to be very well behaved, and were pleased to have been able to provide the attention expected and deserved. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My sister, 92 yr old Dad, and I stayed at this hotel in Feb. 2013.I used trip advisor for ratings and it was above my expectations. It was beyond comfortable. The beds were very comfortable with 4 pillows on each bed..."I love that"...Clean, up to date decor, which was inviting had a natural feel. We stayed in a suite because it was only 15 dollars more. It had a nice couch that also was a sleeper. Coffee table,lighting and a very roomy feel . Breakfast was pretty good, more selection than I have ever had.
The only thing I did not like is when my sister called to make the reservation she spoke with someone other than someone from the actual hotel. We wanted to make sure that we were able to have a room on the bottom level, she said yes we can arrange that because they do not have elevators at that hotel..WHAT? Really? I thought that very uncommon, we arrived to be told we are on the third floor but of course we have elevators....So, I wasnt happy with the wrong information, although it all turned out wonderful......You should be able to talk to the hotel you will be residing in.So no confusion on the customers questions.The other very nice touch is a newspaper at your door in the morning. What a great way to start a day.... Highly recommend...... Mary- Red Bluff,Ca.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites Merced, and thank you a second time for taking the time to write about your experience! We are pleased that you found the breakfast selections plentiful, and that you enjoyed the extra room our suites provide. We apologize for the confusion created by the call to the offsite reservation center. We are working on determining why they were not aware of our two elevators. Please do feel free to call us directly any time for help or for reservations at 209.384.3700. We hope we can provide you with a second great stay the next time you are in the area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merced
Courtyard Merced
#7 of 14 in Merced
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chowchilla - Yosemite Park Area
America's Best Inn & Suites
Americas Best Value Inn- Merced

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Merced? Share your experiences!