“znever again” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Oak Park IL
“znever again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

We were in Palo Alto to visit family & decided to go with a less pricey hotel since we wouldn't be there that much & we figured we could spend the money we saved on the grands. We have always had reasonably good experiences at Best Westerns & so chose this hotel (also closest to family.) One absolute must for us was wireless internet (preferably free.) This hotel advertised free WIFI but we couldn't get it to work, it seemed not to be turned on. So partner went to the front desk & was told they would send someone to look at it. When no one had come 36 hours later, he called the 800 number for the provider on the equipment & was told that they had not yet been connected - maybe in another 3 weeks. So their claim of Wifi was a flat out lie. They have a free continental breakfast from 6:30 to 9:00 but the food tended to run out about a half hour early. It appears that they have set a limit on how much food they want to provide &, when that limit is reached, no more food. Housekeeping ignored our do not disturb sign & tried to enter our room while we were dressing (the "deadbolt" lock didn't work - we were reduced to putting a chair under the door knob to ensure our privacy.) When they did clean, it was very cursory - fresh towels & maybe cleaning the bathroom & "making" the beds (ie throwing the top sheet & blankets up over the bottom sheet - not even smoothing them out) - no vacuuming & only occasional emptying of waste baskets. The sheets were not fitted, did not stay in place very well & had small holes in them. We generally showered toward the end of the time when the business travelers were showering & on 3 occasions we had to wait over ½ hour for hot water (really ice cold). One evening, we had the grands spend the night with us & one wanted to shower before bed - there was no hot water at 8:00 at night! We had asked 2 days in advance if it was OK to have the grands stay & if we could get a cot. We were assured that it would not be a problem & that the cot would be placed in our room when they cleaned it. Nothing further was said & 2 days later, when we returned with the children, NO COT! When we asked about it, we were told it wouldn't fit! No explanation for why they didn't know that when we had originally asked (& provided our room #) or why thay hadn't said anything in the meantime. Fortunately the children are small & could sleep in our beds with us. The parking is located under the building with one very steep ramp leading to El Camino Real (a very busy street). There is a bush located (on hotel property) at the top of the ramp - making it almost impossible to see the stream of traffic you are about to enter. The elevator from the parking area to the rooms is very tiny & smelled very strongly of mildew - the inspection certificate had expired on 02/05/08. The info about the hotel in the binder in the room indicated 2 free bottles of water but that happened only on 2 of the 9 days we spent there. The fruit in the lobby was sporadic also. The hot tub was not working. The room itself was OK & the water pressure in the shower was good (not always the case even in fairly expensive hotels) but the heating/cooling unit was under the sinks - right next to the bathroom which meant that often one walked into a blast of icy air as upon leaving the shower. Not enough to make up for all the shortfalls. Positives were a good location (right across from Stanford Mall) & the washers were only $.75 & the dryers were free.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grandma_dst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Redding, Cal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Stayed there for three nights while going to Stanford Hospital, not too bad.. told them that I would be coming back to hospital in two weeks and they said that we could have the same rate. When I returned they raised the rate $20.00 a nite. I reminded them of our conversation and that I would be returning every other week for two months. They did not care a bit and told me not to use the internet as the prices change dailey,,what? I went down the street to the Creek Side and got a better place for less. Won't stay at Best Western Riviera again. Don't count on getting the posted price.

Travelers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

In an area bereft of sanely-priced lodgings the BW Riviera may be the best choice in a limited lineup. Absent nearby Hampton Inns or Marriott Courtyards, this may be the best place --albeit an overpriced one-- to spend a couple of nights. The adequately refurbished rooms can't hide their 60s-70s vintage. Self-serve breakfast right off the reception desk is the usual for this level of hostelry --wannabe bagels, hard-boiled eggs, fruit juice, yogurt, cereal, etc. Internet connections, available in rooms, is fast and desk chairs are comfortable. All in all, OK but hardly worth more words.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for one night prior to a meeting at Stanford. Previous reviews had me a bit worried, but I found the hotel to be very comfortable. It was the best price I could find close to Stanford. Check-in was fast and efficient, even on a night when they were sold out.

It is like an "upscale motor lodge". Rooms open to the outside. My room (standard 1 King) was clean and on par with most business hotels I have stayed at. Rooms have a small microwave, fridge and sink. The bathroom had clean tile and appeared to have been remodeled within the last couple of years. Two complimentary bottles of water were provided.

The room and linens were very clean. It was quiet and I had no problems with noise.

The pool is pretty small, you won't be swimming laps but it is good to cool off after a long day. Kids would probably find it adequate to splash around in.

The breakfast spread is continental, as advertised. Donuts, bagels, toast, cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, plus some pre-packaged items you can heat up, like breakfast burritos.

Internet access worked perfectly. I had dinner at the Stanford Shopping Center (one block away) and the next day went back to the shopping center and caught the free Stanford Shuttle to get to my meeting on campus (visitor parking on campus requires you to feed quarters into meters--ride the shuttle). The shuttle picks up on the opposite side of the shopping center, so it's a 2-3 block walk.

In all, a pleasant stay. It's not a five star hotel, but my experience here was great; no complaints.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable, easy walk to shopping center
  • Disliked — Room was a bit pricey, but still the best rate I could find near Stanford over my dates.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

Faciltiy is nice; staff smiles ... But, during my entire stay (3 nights) had no internet access ... at the heart of Silicon Valley!

Within 15 min of my arrival, I told the front desk I had no internet access (LAN cable) in the room. Eventually, they had me talk to their provider (conclusion "probably the wall jack"). Meanwhile another guest also found he had no internet access. The next morning, the front desk told me they would have their provider come out and get everything working. In the evening, the evening staff knew not hing of the problem, nor anything having been fixed and it wasn't. Same drill the next day. On the day I left, there was still no internet access (the staff was aware of 6 rooms without internet access).

My point is not that something didn't work (stuff happens). But, after 4 days, there was (still) no acknowledgement of the continuing problem ("Try it. see if it works now"). Meanwhile, the front desk had internet access the whole time, but never offered to string a cable or something. It was as if they didn't care. Bottomline: If you need to do work using the Internet, don't stay here.

• Liked — The facility
  • Disliked — Internet access (there was none)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Delft, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

My check-in was pretty uneventful, but getting to the office involves parking in an parking lot with tiny spaces, surrounded by concrete and when the place is near capacity there are not enough parking spaces. The second night I was at the place I returned to my room rather late (11:20pm), and found out there was no where to park at the hotel. I was told to double park in their check-in driveway with 2 others who were in the same situation. Then that same night I'm sleeping in room 218 (top floor) and about 3am I hear this loud bank, then this ear splitting metallic sound that caused me to leap out of bed. Turns out the grating shielding the florescent bulbs over the bathroom vanity had come loose and fell to the counter, then to the floor. This piece was almost 4'x2' and hence very loud when it hit the tile counter and floor. On top of all this, when I checked out, I was told that the charges would be going on my companies card since they had prepaid the room, but I was required to give a personal card for 'incidentals'. As I am signing the checkout receipt I see it has my card number on it. I try to tell the lady to resolve it, and she brushes me off telling me her manager will get to it later. I tell her it's important and I need it resolved now, but I get more references to the manager. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Liked — Decent internet connection in room, hardwired.
  • Disliked — Front desk staff, and falling ceiling tiles.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Warsaw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2007

I've chosen this hotel as there were not many choices in Menlo park.

Pros: walking distance to the shopping centre with its restaurants, free wireless, free breakfast, coffee, iron, hair-dryer, mouthwash, microwave.

Cons: noise from El Camino, breakfast very modest, very small eating room.

Staff: helpful, and with a real smile.

• Liked — free wifi, location close to restaurants
  • Disliked — traffic and rail noise, small breakfast
  • Stayed February 2007
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
#10 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera? Share your experiences!