“Gross hotel”

Best Western Plus Riviera
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
“Gross hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I travel a lot for work. This hotel by far is the worst I've stayed in. It's dirty and smelly. The carpet is terribly stained. It's very dated. The room is poorly laid out. The bathroom is just old and dirty.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Firecrackerleo
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello Firecrackerleo,

I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Please know that I have addressed the issues you mentioned in your review to my team and we have worked to resolve them. We are also planning a complete bathroom renovation on all of our rooms beginning in August. We pride ourselves in providing superior customer service and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide it to you.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel is nice, clean, with a kind staff. Some rooms have a charming table in the front balconet. A true breakfast is included, and you can have it on the reception or take away to the room or balconet. Unfortunately I didn't got time to enjoy the swimming pool, that looks refreshing and amazing. It is at walking distance from Stanford Shopping Center, Downtown Palo Alto and Menlo Park, so if you plan to visit the Stanford University or somewhere else in Palo alto, that's a valuable hotel to choose.

Hello Brazilian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell the Trip Advisor community about your experience with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you choose to stay with us the next time you're in the Menlo Park area. Maybe next time you'll have some time to swim in our refreshing pool or unwind in our spa!

Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was here on business, so I while I was shocked at the 250/night price tag... I wasn't paying.

The staff was friendly, the breakfast nook was well stocked. My room was cleaned (well) daily. Soaps/coffees etc were replaced even when I didn't require it, which I always appreciate but rarely see.

The pool area was nice, as were the in-room amenities.

The tv remotes don't tend to function properly (this is apparently a known issue with model of television). You do get noise from the street at night. Parking spaces are tight.

Hello Jen M,

Thanks for taking the time to tell other Trip Advisor users about your experience at our hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your comments. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you visit the Menlo Park area!

barcelona
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've just spent four nights at the Best Western Plus Riviera. It's convenient for Palo Alto, the rooms are big and clean, the breakfast is quite decent, and the staff are nice. There is a small pool, but I haven't used it so can't comment. Looks clean, though!
The hotel is right next to a major road, so it does get loud. I was in room 219, right next to El Camino, and had to sleep with earplugs. To be fair, this is not their fault. The hotel is right next to the road, and if you booked a room here, expect noise to be a problem.
My only issue is with the internet. It is free, but the service is patchy. It gets disconnected often, so make sure you save your emails (or tripadvisor reviews....) because chances are it will get cut off. Other than that, would stay again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hello catalan_traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your comments and feedback. Unfortunately the road noise can be an issue for some of our guests, we're glad to know that the ear plugs worked out for you. I will also be looking into the signal strength in the wing of the building you were in, thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you're in the area and maybe then you'll be able to leave us a review of our pool as well!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If noise is a problem for you, you will not want to stay at Best Western Plus Riviera. It appears to be charming and the location is good. It is clean. The WiFi is good and breakfast is OK. However, given any other choices and there are many in the area, I would not stay here again. The over riding problem is the street noise, cars get to be sort of OK, and then the trucks but the piercing train whistle at 2:00 am was over the top. Other annoyances included a room key that would not open the door, very small room, tepid water that did not really get hot and a staff that was not really accommodating.

Room Tip: The only rooms that might possibly be acceptable would be on the first floor behind the reception ar...
1 Thank Barb K
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hello Barb K,

Thanks for taking the time to tell other Trip Advisor users about your stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us. Unfortunately we are unable to do anything about the street noise, although we do offer complimentary ear plugs at the front desk for those who are sensitive to noise. I can also assure you that we do take pride in our establishment and deeply care about all guest experiences while here at our hotel. I am sorry that you felt our staff was unaccomodating. I will be talking with my front desk staff about ways we can provide better service to all guests.

Travelers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I travel to the Bay Area frequently from Australia and have stayed at most of the reasonably priced hotels in the area. Not sure if the Best Western has changed somehow but I had a very fine stay. Room was clean, spacious and the bed comfortable. I was on the second floor and the sound proofing was good (from the Highway). It is very convenient to Sandhill Rd and the Stanford Mall (as well as University Av). Fitness centre is nothing great, but just covers my needs with a treadmill, bike and elliptical trainer. Breakfast was first rate of the "free breakfast" type. It gets 5 stars from me not because it is a great hotel but because it is great value for money. There is no hotel within 5 miles of it that is better value to be honest that I have found. Comfortable, clean, pretty quiet and spacious with a good breakfast. Works for me and I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hello FredBarakat,

Thank you for taking the time to tell other Trip advisor users about your stay with us! We are glad you found our accomodations to be comfortable and clean. I will be sure to pass your comments along to my team. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you stay with us next time you are in th area!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The door hand to be SLAMMED using my full body weight to latch,

the bed fell 2 inches on one side when my 110 pound wife got in bed,

The floor turned our feet black,

Our baby found a human tooth (not one of ours)in the bed in the morning,

Parking is awful!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank jasonakana
BW_Riviera, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear jasonakana,

We're sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. I can assure you that we take all comments and complaints seriously and that I have personaly looked into the items you listed in your review. We have spoken to our housekeeper regarding your comments. Our sheets are serviced by a linen company and our housekeeper had no idea on how a tooth could be on a bed. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

#4 of 10 in Menlo Park
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#15 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Best Western Plus Riviera? Share your experiences!