“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

My organization sends me to Stanford a few times each year. I have stayed at several of the small hotels in the area. I have to say this was one of the better choices. It is a very convenient location...an easy block walk to the Stanford Shopping center with many high end shops and great places to eat. Very close to Stanford Hospital. Only 7-8 blocks from downtown Palo Alto with many more shops and eateries.

Extremely helpful staff. Nice breakfast included -- coffees, juices, hard boiled eggs, pastries, toast, waffles, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc. Coffee and fruit available all day. Good WiFi in rooms. Rooms were very well appointed with comfortable beds, desk, table and chairs, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker with real ceramic mugs. Everything was spotless. A small pool on the property was a nice place to sit in the sun. No landscape to speak of.

I did not find street noise to be a problem. My room faced the street and with the windows closed and the fan on, I couldn't hear any street noise. If the windows were open, it would be a little different, but not that bad. I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: The hotel is "U" shaped, stay away from rooms on the extreme ends that are closest to the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Queeneee, thank you so much for taking the time to tell Trip Advisor users about your stay with us! We're glad you enjoyed your room and amenities. We're taking additional steps and making more upgrades in the near future to make your stay more enjoyable. We'd love to have you with us again next time you travel to the area.

Thanks again for you comments!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed here for a post op visit at Stanford. Parking is included and a dinky continental breakfast. We were on the 2nd floor and there was a huge gap under our door. I had to put my duffel bag in front of it to block the light, but also to keep potential critters out. I liked that the remote control was in a little bag saying it had been sanitized. There was a lot of street noise throughout the night. The wifi worked, flat screen tv, bottled water, all nice touches. I was given a small Stanford hospital discount. It is just ok in my opinion.

Room Tip: a room in the back away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
BW_Riviera, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
3kids2kauai, we appreciate you taking the time to tell other Trip Advisor users about your stay with us. Please know I will be sure to address the issue you mentioned about the gap at the bottom of the door in your room and get it taken care of. We thrive off of comments and constructive criticism from Trip Advisor users like you and take your comments to heart in order to improve our hotel.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to have you with us again next time you take a trip to the area!

Operations Manager
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We've had to visit Stanford and Lucile Packard Hospitals several times in the past five years and have stayed at most of the motels along El Camino Real in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. Best Western Plus Riviera is our choice to stay if we have a little extra money to spend or during slow periods.

BW Plus Riviera offers rooms that are a little larger then other 2-3 star motels nearby. The rooms are clean and everything works. The beds are comfortable. Each room has a large flat screen TV, a microwave and a dorm room sized fridge. Bottled water is provided. Their WiFi works at a reasonable speed. Their breakfast bar is better than most 2-star motels in the area, with a make-your-own waffle station and hard boiled eggs added. I'd compare it to a Fairfield Inn.

Cons -- rooms face the street and Cal Train commuter train line, so you will get some noise. Trains stop running late night, so that's not too bad. And, frankly, most motels in the area suffer the same problem. Also, parking under the rooms is tight, so it can be difficult to get in and out.

We did have one problem at the front desk when a BW Travel Certificate was not credited to our account properly. But this was taken care of shortly after we checked out and we received a followup phone call to let us know.

The best attribute for the BW Plus Riviera is it's location. If you've got an early morning start at Stanford or Lucile Packard Hospital, this is the motel you want. (Also, ask about their special hospital stay rates.)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Randylee3_Fresno
BW_Riviera, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a Trip Advisor review about your stay in December. Our staff always loves to hear feedback and comments from guests, which help us improve and grow our levels of service. We regret that the noise from CalTrain and El Camino affected your stay and although there is not much we can do to quiet the noise we do offer complimentary ear plugs at the Front Desk for all of our guests upon request.

Thank you again for choosing the Best Western PLUS Riviera. We hope to have you with us the next time you visit the area.

Vallejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

the staff is very friendly and helpful. I have stayed here weekly for over 2 years, and have watched as they have constantly improved their motel. They've recently put in all new furniture in the rooms. Their most recent addition has been to add new large flat screen tv sets. After a long work day in Palo Alto, I find it a great place to relax and ready myself for another work day. I'd highly suggest this motel for anyone looking for a place to stay in the Menlo Park / Palo Alto area.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe B
BW_Riviera, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
JoeB, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review on TripAdvisor.com! Thanks for the positive feedback, we're glad to hear you're enjoying our new flat screen televisions and furniture. We're taking additional steps and making more upgrades in the near future to maintain the standards you've come to expect from Best Western and to keep you coming back! Thanks again for your time, we'll see you soon!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I had a business meeting in downtown Palo Alto, and all of the city center hotels were priced WAY high. So after looking a little, I came across the Best Western Plus Riviera. This was a clean, conservative, simple and nice hotel. The front desk staff was very pleasant. I had hoped for an early check-in (since I had just flew into San Jose and wanted to change), but they didn't have any rooms available at 11am. They did store my bag, which was nice. The room is simple and neat. Nothing special, but no issues either. The bathroom has a fan, which is always a plus for keeping shower steam reasonable. The walk into the city center takes about 10-15 minutes, is a nice stroll, and didn't bother me at all. It did take a little while for the cab to arrive to pick me up, so call ahead!

Room Tip: Honestly, I think they're all the same...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.com! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be a good value. Our staff tries hard to maintain our guest rooms in top order and are glad they met your standards. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Aiken, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

Check in good - manager was v. nice and helpful. Ice machine was broken but he went next door and got ice for us and also discounted our room rate. Our room was a front corner room and very small but clean with adequate amenities. The bathroom was small but clean. The bed was comfortable with good pillows. AC was noisy. We were concerned about being on the front with traffic and were told that it was rush hour and that it would die down. Traffic was pretty constant throughout the night and really picked up about 5:00A. The complimentary breakfast was very good. We had the waffles. There are two levels to this hotel but a luggage cart was provided. The elevator is very small hardly big enough for the cart and one person. All in all this was an good place to stay for one night. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not so close to the highway.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twotravelersAikenSC
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com for our hotel! We thrive on all feedback and use it to try and improve. Let me assure you that since your stay we've replaced our ice machine with a brand new unit and also fixed the air conditioning unit you mentioned to us. Thanks again for your feedback and time. We hope to have you back with us on your next visit into the area!

Chicago IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

This is a pleasant place at a good price for the area. A short drive (or not terribly long walk) to the Stanford campus, and an easy walk to downtown Palo Alto.

My only suggestions would be to ask for a room away from the street on the second floor. Mine was close to the street and the noise is fairly significant, and I heard the person above me walking around.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
#15 of 27 in Palo Alto
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera? Share your experiences!