“"Country" Elegant”

Stanford Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I recently enjoyed another stay at the Stanford Park Hotel, and it remains on of my favorites in the world. Combining luxury with comfort, the "country" feel of fireplaces, stone and natural wood, is enhanced by luxury appointments including furnishings, flower arrangements, and room amenities. What really stands out, however, is the professionalism and genuine friendliness of the staff. Whether this reflects selectivity in hiring, fantastic training, or a combination of both, the result is an atmosphere of warmth and attention that should appeal to both the weary business traveler and the relaxed vacationer.
I'll definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Train noise makes its way down the chimney in rooms with fireplaces. Not a disturbance, but just be...

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I can recommend this hotel as being very handy to Stanford University and Hospitals, and the shopping mall. It seems very responsive to the needs of business travellers and others. I didn't see anyone getting delayed in checkout each morning, even at very early times. Good service at the desk, the bar and restaurant, pleasant layout. Wi-fi was very good although not technically free (included in a resort style charge). The rooms are a little older, but mine was very neat, very spacious, and clean, no issues : it is not trying to be a 5 star inner city place, but I believe it is around the best in this particular area. Perhaps some of the rooms could be noisy depending on the courtyard chatter, and north facing rooms will cop some Caltrain hooters / whistles. I would stay here again though.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Patrick_J_Lane, General Manager at Stanford Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased to hear that we met your expectations of a genuine, authentic and comfortable hotel. We are constantly upgrading our product and we have a multimillion dollar renovation commencing later this year. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our new improvements.
Patrick

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The wonderfully sophisticated luxury Stanford Park Hotel is not just for business. Located across the street form Stanford Mall and minutes form Palo Alto the hotel is a perfect refuge in the Silicon Valley. While visiting my daughter at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital I stayed in room 301, huge, comfortable and quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful, I'd like to come back for a romantic weekend soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Stanford Park is still my favorite hotel in the area. But the rooms are dated and it needs investment. Simple things such as lack of electrical outlets. The service and staff are friendly and good. I have never had a bad stay. It offers the opportunity to work or read outdoors in a quite courtyard in winter or by the pool in summer which I particularly relish.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Patrick_J_Lane, General Manager at Stanford Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the impression that we have made. We have been working for quite some time on the guestroom designs with the intent of incorporating more ergonomic and productivity features as well as comfort and warmth.

The hotel has undergone a number of upgrades as we strive to continually upgrade our product relevant to our guest's needs. Most recently we have upgraded much of the infrastructure including the wireless internet, computer systems, restaurant, event spaces, roof and fitness center. Our hotel car is a 2013 Cadillac Escalade, and we now have bicycles available to borrow free of charge.

The next stages of renovations include the bar and the guestrooms. We are designing custom furnishings appropriate to the classic, yet stylish motif of the property.

I am sorry that we have made you feel as if we are not concerned about your comfort in every way possible and I can assure you that our continued investments will eliminate any thoughts that the property is anything less than excellent and deserving of your business and loyalty.

Please contact me directly because I’d appreciate speaking to you personally and learning anything I can regarding how we can make our rooms the absolute best they can be.

Appreciatively,
Patrick
(650) 322-1234

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at the Stanford Park Hotel two nights. The first night was uneventful. However, I woke up the after second night around 6:30am to the sound of vacuuming that sounded like it was right outside my door. I gave up trying to sleep when it didn't stop. Then I went into the bathroom and discovered there was raw sewage in my bath tub! Apparently the pipes had backed up into my shower. Thoroughly disgusted and now really annoyed, I called the front desk. They did not apologize or offer any solution other than to tell me they know about the "water" (umm no --sewage!) in the tubs and that the engineers would be by to vacuum it out. Well, I have to get to work and I really am not interested in taking a shower that contained sewage without it first getting a serious bleaching. So I check out and of course they do not ask how my stay was cause they know damn well it was terrible, so I say, "I didn't get to take a shower this morning." The guy barely mutters a "sorry" and just asks if I want to keep it on my card. I can tell they could care less and really just want to get me out. They print out the bill and I'm shocked they charged me full price. So I tell them I shouldn't have to pay full price. The "manager" then steps in and says "I can take $75 off." This is not even a third of the bill but it's something so I say fine. I tell him "I'm really surprised" and he basically starts arguing with me saying this is not normal. Well, it still happened and rather than try to make it right by giving me a room to shower in or a discount they just put on their pretentious airs and act like I'm the one inconveniencing them. I will never, ever stay here again, and I am in the area at least two nights a month for work. They just lost my business and everyone I work with.

1  Thank DawnSD80
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Checked in for just one night having made a reservation on Expedia the same day. Reception was very polite and when it took them a few minutes to find our reservation, they were apologetic and offered us an upgrade to a suite w/ a fireplace. The fireplace room was huge, clean, and like the hotel nicely maintained, tastefully decorated. It is the quintessential gracious college town hotel. Fitness room was clean and well equipped. Hospitable touches like fresh baked cookies, tea and coffee at 9pm and plenty of easy parking made it a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthropologie
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Came here with my husband who had a seminar at Stanford. Lobby and guest rooms were lovely, restaurant was great, staff was friendly and courteous. Close to Stanford shopping center with many stores including Bloomingdale's and Macy's. Delicious cookies and tea were served each night in the lobby. Loved this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor, but away from the stairs to the lobby. It was very quiet and nice...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel Lucent
Hotel Lucent
#2 of 11 in Menlo Park
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel

Been to Stanford Park Hotel? Share your experiences!