“A perfect place for a food aficionado”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Flea Street Cafe

Flea Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Flea Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 122 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Avy Ave.
San Jose, CA
“A perfect place for a food aficionado”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

It had been some time since I last ate at the Flea Street Cafe. Visited for dinner and here is my review. This restaurant focuses on creative, unusual if not unique, entrees made as much as possible from organic ingredients some of which are from the restaurant's garden. If you are looking for unusual, creative, excellent tasting entrees at the higher end of the price range, this is a great place to visit.

The menu is divided up into first, second and third courses. The first courses being smaller in size and the third courses are the largest. My companion and I had: the smoked heirloom tomato soup, the smoked trout, the heirloom tomato and peach salad, and a made-to-order vegan dish to meet the dietary requirements of my companion. Each entree was interesting, perfectly prepared, visually appealing, and great to taste and eat.

Highly recommended for the food aficionado looking for unique entrees well presented by excellent staff in a very pleasant setting.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1

Taormina, Italy
“Creative, organic & sustainable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Jessie Cool has created a great restaurant with an eye on sustainability, local sourcing, and great, mostly organic food. The menu is defined by what is in season so the creations are always a bit different each time you visit. If that is not enough, they always have an interesting wine list to top off a great meal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank David B
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
“Fresh, and First On Our List!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Nestling into the pillows along the banquette seat, I concluded Flea Street really is first on our list of area restaurants, for several reasons. First, our server was friendly and helpful and respected us as diners, who were in his care for the evening, and he carried out his duty of ensuring our enjoyment while at his table. Perfect!. Second, the menu had a nice balance, and provided each of us with choice. within our individual parameters. Roasted sardines are a family favorite, when in CA, and these appetizers were fresh and meaty. My vegetarian sampler was a treat, and each item looked good and tastes complemented, but did not overlap. Meat and seafood eaters in our group were also pleased with the filet and halibut.. The portion size was big enough to satisfy the guys' eyes and appetites!Our own wine was served for a moderate corkage fee. Third. we enjoy the rustic coastal California ambience and the modern art on the walls; we often prefer this vibe to glossy and pretentious spots in high-rent buildings and hotels. Fourth, prices are reasonable for this area, and actually reflect value. .

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TripInsider
Palo Alto
“Flea Street Cafe Falls Flat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Pros:
1. Joel, the maitre d', who was lovely and helpful.
2. The rest of the wait staff were very polite and pleasant.
3. The overall ambience was very comfortable and relaxing.
Cons:
1.The menu is very limited. I had been looking forward to a roasted duck breast, which wasn't on the menu. Most of the choices were unappealing.
2.The amuse bouche was ridiculous. A small saucer-sized plate w 4 tiny slices of an unappetizing roast potato, each speared w a wood toothpick, alongside a tiny 1/2 apricot which was discolored in many spots. Neither was noteworthy. Nor were they paired well.
3. I ordered the roasted sardines as a starter, which tasted as though they came out of a can, extremely fishy. Served alongside were 2 pretty tasteless tater tots.
4. My halibut Entre was the least interesting of halibut presentations I had read online. It was a small piece, slightly dry, with an intense smoky flavor in almost every bite. The smokiness, which I'm not a fan of, overwhelmed the dish. Plus there was no mention of any smoky ingredients listed on the menu. Had there been, I wouldn't have ordered this dish. I thought perhaps it was bacon and asked the waitress. Turns out one of the vegetables had been smoked or marinated in a smoked sauce.
5. Nothing on the dessert menu appealed to us so we skipped that course.
The small cold chocolate truffle served at the end of the meal was good but tasted like Trader Joes or Whole Foods, if also served from the fridg.
Three stars for wait staff, Joel, and overall ambience.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Susons
Campbell, California
“So much potential.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

There's so much that I want to love about this place. Female chef. Organic, sustainable. Exceptional service. But somehow things just didn't work for me. For starters, the setting is a little unassuming. It's in a short, low-slung strip mall with cracked sidewalks and didn't quite have the ambiance that I expected. Yes, the food and wine were very good. However, if I compare this to my experience at Chez Panisse? Chez Panisse blows this place out of the water, and I realize that may sound unkind. But the bottom line is that my expectations for the experience were very high and they were not met.

Visited March 2013