“local hotspot”
Review of Left Bank

Left Bank
Reserve with OpenTable
Left Bank is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 123 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Doyle
Transit: The Caltrans stops only two blocks away.
Description: Left Bank is an authentic French brasserie celebrating Mediterranean Cuisine. Located in Menlo Park's charming downtown, Left Bank transports guests to a quaint brasserie in Paris. Open since 1998 and completely re-modeled in 2008, Left Bank offers a casual, charming brasserie setting where diners feast upon classic southern French cuisine. Our outdoor sidewalk cafe seating evokes a lively European atmosphere and is the perfect place for just an appetizer and beer or a 3-course meal with a beautiful bottle of wine. Whether it's at our sidewalk table, the gorgeous glass-walled bar, or in the casually elegant main dining room, you'll enjoy a fun & french experience. Thirteen years of working with local organic farms allows us to bring you the best seasonal ingredients available. Chef de Cuisine Steven Catalano offers an always changing menu focused on Southern French Cuisine.
Menlo Park, California
“local hotspot”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The food here is consistent and good. We love the happy hour from 3-6 everyday, and then from 9-closing, though we usually end up on the earlier side. The decor cannot be beat, but I wish it had a more lively ambience.

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Washington
“Lovely Surprise”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were meeting friends in the South Bay Area, and they suggested The Left Bank.

Being unfamiliar with that part of the world, we readily agreed to meet them there.

What a delight! The restaurant's ambiance is charming, the service is excellent, the bar scene is active and the bartender is fast.

Two of us had the risotto, which was very well-prepared, one had the "appetizer" steamed mussels, which was huge for an appetizer and came with what looked like delicious fries.

I had the lamb burger, which came with a quinoa arugula salad. The burger wasn't overcooked, and was delicious. The salad was very nice.

The wait staff was friendly and helpful.

If we were to return to that area, we'd definitely consider The Left Bank.

• Visited January 2013
california
“Mixed experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We dined at the Left Bank on New Years Eve and the experience was up and down on the scale.
I ordered the lobster bisque, the special soup of the day - the bisque was nothing short of horrible: very bland - the only pronounced flavor was that of a lobster shell, but not a trace of any other bit of lobster. As an afterthought, I should have send back the bisque - it was that bad. The server mixed up my oyster appetizer, but when I mentioned it to him, he was very nice, apologized, brought the right appetizer and told me he will give me a free dessert for the inconvenience. Well done! The service otherwise was quite good and I would willingly give it 4 stars. The appetizer was just OK, nothing I would order again.

The salmon entree with squash puree and kale was outstanding: the sweetness of the squash and the bitterness of the greens contrasted beautifully with the flavor of the salmon. The salmon itself was perfectly cooked - flaky and moist. Wonderful ! The dessert was great as well.
If it were for the entree and the dessert, I would give 5 stars, but the soup and the appetizer lowered considerably the rating.

• Visited December 2012
palo alto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Magnifique”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

First, the atmosphere is beautiful. Especially around the holidays, this place really sparkles. Thankfully, the food matches the surroundings. I had the cod, and my companion had the salmon. Both were excellent. The cod was perfectly cooked, the sauce was flavorful and the haricot verts were perfectly al dente.

Visited December 2012
Redwood City, CA
“A little bit of France in Menlo Park,CA.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Left Bank is a French Bistro located in Menlo Park, CA. I you want to try a little taste of Paris give The Left Bank a try. The french onion soup is very tasty and a must try. The ambience reminds me of a little cafe on a side street in Paris.

Visited September 2012