“A real jewel!”
Review of Red Cottage Inn

Red Cottage Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This inn is set back off the very busy El Camino Real....they took something from the past and created the perfect little oasis. We had a back patio with small table and chairs, small fridg, microwave....beautiful updating, clean and tidy. Then you go around to the pool and sitting area....very charming and relaxing! The designers didn't miss a thing and we felt blessed to have found such a gem. This inn certainly has what the "corporate hotels" are missing. Highly recommend. :)

• Stayed: August 2012
RCIadmin, Guest Relations Manager at Red Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for your nice review. We are very delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s nice to know that you were able to take advantage of the nice California weather lounging around our pool and sitting area.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just about anywhere else this would be a run-of-the-mill motel. But it's noteworthy here because it is not all that expensive relative to other area lodging. I'll give it credit for being clean and quiet (despite its location right on El Camino). I sat by the little pool one morning reading the newspaper and felt a million miles from the Silicon Valley hustle. The truth is, I would go back. Don't expect anything fancy and you will probably feel the same way.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Pete F
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed at the Red Cottage Inn many times as I work in the area a few times a year and travel from Santa Barbara. The staff is always warm, welcoming and incredibly helpful. This year I forgot ALL of my hanging clothes in the closet and they mailed it to me with a Thank-You note....WOW! No charges were made to my account and everything arrived within a few days. They are terrific and the environment is wonderful.

Room Tip: I like the ground floor rooms by the pool. Nice sliding doors that allow for fresh air...no need for...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are happy to know that the clothes that you left here at the hotel arrived safely to you. We look forward in welcoming you back whenever you are in Menlo Park area.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at Red Cottage for 4 nights in July. I had been given the handicap room (not requested and not needed), which was very roomy. My favorite part was the private patio/deck area off the back of the room that included a small table and chairs. I enjoyed the included breakfast outside every morning. Red Cottage had excellent continental breakfast: hard boiled eggs, Nutella (my fave!), Babybel cheese, yogurt, milk, cereal, bananas, muffins, oatmeal (packet style), coffee, and more. They even let me sneak a few things early on my way to my flight out before the official breakfast start time.

A lot of other things were included with the room too: bottled water, umbrella (to borrow), makeup wipes, and Keurig coffee. (Some days, my water wasn't replenished.) My room had a microwave and fridge.

The fitness room was very air-conditioned with new looking well-maintained equipment. There was one each of elliptical, treadmill, and bike with several hand weights as well as yoga and bosu balls. The hours were posted as 7AM-10PM which seems fairly limited, but the hotel staff told me earlier and I was in there as early as 5:30AM with no complaints from anyone. My only complaint about the fitness room was that the wipes from the dispenser were dried out.

I'll definitely try to book early enough to get a room here on my next business trip to the area. It was such a treat to come back to such a nice room at the end of the day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We look forward in welcoming you back and we’ll take note of those wipes in the fitness room and make sure that they are not dried out. .

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Once again the Red Cottage Inn provided us with a comfortable relaxing place to stay while our boys were attending football camp at Menlo Cottage. The breakfast available to us included a lovely selection for all appetites, the staff were friendly and the rooms were impeccably clean. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool and in the courtyard for quiet times. The location of this Inn is fabulous in that it is a short walk to Downtown Menlo, directly across the street from the College and just a short trip to San Fran, Half Moon Bay, San Jose or any other place you may want to visit. Thanks again to the staff and management at this privately owned Inn.

Room Tip: Even the rooms by the parking lot are quiet so there is no worry about which room you are assigned...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
RCIadmin, Guest Relations Manager at Red Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you taking the time to write us a nice review. We look forward in spending future family events with you.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you seek nightlife, an action scene, the Red Cottage would not be for you. Me neither. However, it is clean, quiet (secluded, really), comfortable with good beds, staffed by friendly folks, and convenient to many places and attractions on the mid-Peninsula. And it is a good value for the rate.

I especially like its proximity to downtown Menlo Park and the businesses along Sand Hill Road. The inn has cookies awaiting guests upon checkin, and serves a typical cold breakfast buffet in the mornings, starting early enough to meet most people's needs (6AM, I think).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My family and I stayed here for 10 days and couldn't have picked a better place. The price was quite reasonable considering the area. We were near Stanford, all great restaurants.the hotel was so clean! The beds and pillows were so comfortable!Usually. I am very picky where I stay because of bed bugs in many hotels,but the minute you walk in the room and see the cleanliness of it you didn't even have to check. Even my hsband remarked a place is pretty clean when you can wipe your hand on the inside of the closet and get nothing. Every morning we had a great choice complimentaryof cereal,juice,coffe,muffins,bagels eggs,and Danish.after supper we would come back to the hotel and they would have fresh cookies and coffee. Also, in our room was a microwave and a kreuig coffee maker with k cups.the pool was heated so my granddaughter enjoyed the benefits of relaxing in the pool.
We had one issue where the Bathroom sink needed to be fixed and it was taken care of promptly.i suggest anyone who is looking to stay here do not hesitate! It was quiet ..we felt like we were alone with our own terrace,except for an occasional sound of a far away train..which to me was soothing..i loved it!and the staff was so nice! Any questions were pleasantly answered.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with your own patio on the 1st floor. The rooms going out to the pool are only 1 qu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 11 in Menlo Park
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park

Been to Red Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!