“Just like home”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Rome
“Just like home”
Reviewed December 20, 2006

Large comfortable rooms, healthy breakfast, free internet, close to shops and fine dining. Very friendly people. Wishing the staff all the best for the holiday season and see you again in March.
Cheers, Bruce Craig from Rome,Italy

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank TheItalianConnection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I am not one to take the time to write a review except this hotel was one the worst hotels, if not the worst, we have ever stayed in. I spent a long time on Hotels and other websites looking for hotels that were reasonable but had a good rating. When I called the Menlo Park Inn direct, they said the nightly rate would be $139 and the rate on Hotels was $99. Don't be mislead by the picture shown on the Hotels website and on the Menlo Park Inn website that makes it look like a charming inn. It is anything but that. Hotels gives it 3 stars and a rating of 4.7 out of 5. It also says that 3 out of 3 would recommend this hotel to a friend. Now for the truth: The room was very, very dark, even with all the lights on. Didn't look anything like the picture of the room on the Hotels website. The lights would only turn on at the lamp switch. There was only one mirror in the room and it was over the desk -- the darkest spot in the room so it couldn't be used if someone else was in the bathroom. There was not one towel bar in the very small bathroom -- not even a hand towel bar. Very little counter space next to the sink and that's where the towels were piled. The condition of the bathroom was the worst I have ever seen. The grout and the caulking were filthy and the shower head was rusted and dirty. The grout around the sink looked like a spider web. I can only imagine all of the germs and bacteria that lurked in there. I have never in my life seen gaulking and grout that bad. You could not turn the light on without the fan going on and the fan was so loud that no one could hear the TV or talk on the phone, let alone if someone had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, the fan would wake anyone else who was sleeping. The mattress on the bed was also terrible. You could hear and feel the springs when you sat on the bed or rolled over at night. We would never recommend this hotel to anyone and we feel that we were mislead by the rating and the pictures on Hotels. This hotel should not have 3 stars. The condition of the bathroom doesn't even rate a 1 star. The health department should condemn that bathroom. Don't waste your money on this hotel--we never will again.

• Liked — Nothin
  • Disliked — Filthy bathroom, extremely loud fan, terrible mattress, very dark room
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Verlene
hawaii
Reviewed September 29, 2006

I recently booked 12 rooms at Menlo Park Inn. Parag, who helped with our reservations was efficient, honest and willing to work with our government rates. He was even able to find us more rooms at another site that was equally as nice although not as close to our training site. Still no complaints. The rooms were clean, problems were taken care of right away and the front desk staff were all very helpful and friendly. The breakfast nook was more than adequate and convenient. Whenever we needed maps or directions, the staff were very accommodating There is even a computer with a printer that was available for our use.
The hotel is near many great places to eat and the Caltrain station & Trader Joe's is just a block away. I especially enjoyed the whirlpool bath in my room and the convenience of the refrigerator and microwave. I have no doubts that I would stay there again.

• Liked — Friendly staff & clean rooms
  • Disliked — Compact parking spaces
  • Stayed September 2006
1 Thank ships&planes
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 12, 2006

I found this inn online and it looked great. When I arrived in Menlo Park, I drove right past it as I didn't expect it to be right on the road. However, it was lovely and the room was very quiet. The rooms have been updated, it is very clean, and they offer a wide-ranging, serve-yourself continental breakfast. The location was perfect for my needs. It has wifi and also a lobby terminal if you don't have your laptop. Above all I will commend them on their service. So pleasant and helpful, they even printed out driving directions for me. I would gladly stay there again.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank outoford
douglasville georgia
Reviewed August 6, 2006

The Menlo Park Inn is an excellent alternative to the pricier options in the Silicon Valley area. I stayed in an upstairs room with two queen beds in mid June. The room was decorated in very modern but not overly showy decor. The room was spotless. The beds were comfortable and the sheets and bedding appeared to be new. There was cable tv, dvd/cd player and highspeed internet hook up. There was a large desk and good workspace for the business traveler. If you are not familiar with the area, you should know that Palo Alto/Menlo Park is VERY ritzy and expensive. I would says its easily comparable to Beverly Hills. While this "Inn" does not have enclosed hallways, its in an utterly safe, residential and quiet area.
The room had lots of nice extra touches that are what you would expect in this expensive neighborhood. There was a large bowl of rolled up washcloths, in room coffee machine and refridgerator with bottled water. There were high end toiletries and scented sachel in the large bathroom. The staff was polite and expeditious. The breakfast was far more than expected and included donuts, waffles, yogurt, three kinds of juice etc. I am pretty picky and was quite suprised at the bang for your buck here. Most of the local hotels cost three times what this place did and I just couldn't see much of a difference. I highly recommend the Menlo Park Inn.

• Liked — Value
  • Tips/Secrets — Its a short drive to Silicon Valley
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank afrutoz
Bay Area
Reviewed July 23, 2006

At first, I was a little hesitant to stay at this hotel because of the previous reviews. However, upon check-in all of my doubts were dispelled. It is true that the exterior does not look like the website, but, from check-in to check-out everything was great. The staff was extremely accommodating and the room we got was very clean, spacious and quiet. It looked exactly like the picture on their website. The bed was amazing and the room amenities were a plus for the price. We had a microwave, refrigerator and free hi-speed internet. Even after we woke up and missed the free continental breakfast, the staff still offered to open up the doors so that we can eat! I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank treesaaw
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I stayed there for 2 nights in May 2006. Here are my thoughts:
First Impression: It's a regular looking motel just like any other you'll find on the road. There's nothing remarkable from the outside. As a matter of fact it looks slightly run down from the outside compared to a good Best Western.
Room: The size is relatively small, about 15x15 and it was generally clean. However, it needed a lot of updated. Things like the wallpaper were peeling in various locations and it felt old. The beds were OK and clean. Overall the room felt like any other roadside motel room but with slightly better furniture. It smelled a little dusty unfortunately. Like another reviewer said, it doesn't look as new as the website would lead you to believe.
Location: It's not the most convenient given that there aren't many restaurants or amenities nearby.
Value: I paid around $100 per night from Expedia. Given what you get, it's not really a value. I would say a good Best Western or Hampton Inn would probably give you more.
Would I return? Most probably not. It's the value equation and I believe there are others in this range that offer more. Bottom line is that if you really need to be in this location (I don't see why though as there are many other hotels/motels around) then maybe you can think about staying here, but don't expect too much.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Creekside Inn
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!