“A Good Pick”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Carmel, California
“A Good Pick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Part of the motel was in renovation & construction, which made access a little inconvenient, & even on a Sat morn a little noisy. Parking lot was small & spaces v narrow, but room was very nice, beds comfortable, room clean & well & conveniently furnished & arranged, even had a pretty well lit bathroom w/a mag mirror. Would have liked it to have been lighted as well, but just happy to have it there in a well-lit bath. Plumbing was in good order. I could not use the products because my skin detected the presence of soy as an ingredient to which I am allergic. We look forward to returning on a regular basis because of its location south of San Francisco, the great shopping locally, because we have family in the area, & especially to see the final outcome of the updating & renovation they are in the process of.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Alice G
Matt M, Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello Alice,

Thanks for giving us the honest review of the property. Parking is definitely one of the issues we're addressing during the exterior transition. I'm looking into the products we use in the rooms and I'm seeing that what we have has an olive oil base. I'm not sure if Soy is a part of it, but I'll definitely take a look so that if we need alternative options we can make them available for our Guests.

Once again, thanks for the review and hopefully we'll see you again next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Yes they NEED to finish the outside ASAP!!! But the rooms are great for the cheap price. Very clean and they thought of the little stuff. Happy stay and would come again.
Loved the cookies and wifi and lots of channels. Super clean and comfy beds.
But fix the outside yesterday guys.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kristina R
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Kristina,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your positive feedback! We're getting closer to the final product on the property exterior, hopefully we'll get the chance to show you what we've done with the place on your next visit.

Thanks again, Kristina!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

First stay but will return. Always hard to find good value in the value but sure did here. My new fav! Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. El went out of his way to ensure the restaurant I wanted to go to was open and when he called and found out it was closed on Monday (it's a valley sushi thing I guess being closed Mondays) he helped us find something else close by. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank BrianSunsetroad
Hello Brian,

It was our pleasure hosting you while you were in town! Can't wait to show you final product outside, and I've made sure to pass your praises on to El as well.

We'll look forward to seeing you again,

Thanks!
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Menlo Park Inn is an upscale motel in an expensive area near Stanford University. A bit pricey but clean, with good amenities for frequent travelers (coffee machine, refrigerator, microwave, make up mirror in bathroom...). Rooms are large (see photos), staff is very friendly and willing to go out of their way to make you feel at home. Because it is a "motel" style hotel your car is parked just steps from your door. By the way - I had difficulty with the door key until I learned that you need to lift the handle to open the door (I kept trying to open it by pushing the handle down). They serve a good cold breakfast with hard boiled eggs, pastries, yogurt, toast/bagels and they have a pancake machine. They have no restaurant onsite but a GREAT informal pizza place a few minutes walk. Beds are comfortable, connectivity good.

Although I am not handicapped I thought that it was well designed as a handicap room. Plenty of space to wheel around, large bathroom with space below the sink if you are in a wheelchair. Did not notice if the clothes rack had a low level option. There is a step down from the sidewalk outside your door to the parking area - did not notice if there was a way to avoid that. Perhaps they will take this into account during current construction.

Construction was a real problem. They days I was there jackhammers were digging up the sidewalks outside the door and construction crews filled the driveways during the day. I understand that construction should be completed in a couple of months so check with the hotel if you plan to spend the day in your room. If you are going out for the days then it doesn't matter. If your room is near the road you can hear the traffic going by.

The lobby was nicely appointed. Coffee/tea available free all day. Snacks for sale in a small kiosk. Small but comfortable breakfast area.

Staff are great. Not sure if they have a swimming pool, health club, or area to site outside.

Room Tip: You can hear cars go by in the rooms next to the street. The hotel is on two floors so if you have...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Joyce M
Hello Joyce,

Thanks for taking the time to give you constructive feedback. Your review was very thoughtful, and it's very much appreciated. I'd love to invite you back to the property sometime in mid-July if your travels take you to our area. Feel free to contact me at matt@concepthotelgroup.com

Thanks and have a great day!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Pros: Room has lots of conveniences (coffee machine, microwave, fridge and lots of premium channels to watch). Comfortable bed. Cons: water pressure is low in shower (have stayed twice in different rooms with the same problem.) Breakfast is same everyday and uninspired.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank usatouae
Auckland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Myself and a colleague stayed here for a week while attending a nearby conference, and from someone who generally sleeps like a log and doesn't get disturbed by noise, you can trust me when I say this is the noisiest place I have ever stayed in.
I had no complaints about the trains like other guests, it was more the noise from the cleaning staff and other guests as the walls were paper thin!
The first night we had a couple next door who were really making the most of their bedroom time, make that about 8 times in a row all through the night, and we could hear EVERYTHING!
Then we had a guy upstairs who arrives at some ungodly hour in the morning, constantly paced around his room, and then skyped his family - again, we heard EVERYTHING!
We were also stationed right next to the cleaners quarters, so every morning we had their chit-chat and phone conversations, and trundling along with their cleaning gear.
Then we had the rubbish truck, which was honestly the loudest rubbish truck ever, and someone may as well have stood over my bed banging pots and pans together for an hour.
Also, the room we had was on the ground floor, got no sun, and only had a small desk lamp and a small bedside lamp for lighting the whole room - it was so dim that I often ended up with a tension headache from the poor lighting.
Also, the breakfast was terrible, I don't know how you can go wrong with boiled eggs, but those suckers were like rubber balls.
The only good thing I have to say about this place is that the beds were super comfy and the rooms were nicely decorated.
However, the standard of this hotel is really deceiving on the website, it's OK, but but not as nice as it looks in their photos...
And for the amount that we payed per night.... what an incredible rip off. The next hotel we stayed at was $100/night cheaper, included a full cooked buffet breakfast and was absolute luxury.

Room Tip: Don't even bother. Chose another place to stay. I don't think any room choice will save you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank SophieandGlenn
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I couldn"t believe I had to pay $257 (through Hotels.com) to stay in a motel. I had a business meeting in Palo Alto and the prices there were so astronomical I began to look in neighboring cities and this one actually began to seem reasonable. The rooms were upgraded from motel decor to try to look like an upscale hotel room, but that was some time ago apparently because the rooms are beginning to show their age. I was comfortable, the room was clean, there was water, an orange, some cookies and trail mix waiting for me and the staff was very nice. But, it's a motel.

Room Tip: I would take the second floor for the safety and noise factor but there's no elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Creekside Inn
#7 of 27 in Palo Alto
The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!