“Very noisy hotel”
Review of Menlo Park Inn

Menlo Park Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I attended college around the corner from the Menlo Park Inn and my parents stayed there when they visited me. Fast forward ten years and my husband and I decided to stay there this past weekend. We were on the first floor, which was the biggest problem. The people above us walked around their room for what seemed like the entire night, and the floor above us creaked, squeaked and made VERY loud noises. We could also hear the people above talking, and it was a long night without any sleep. Then in the morning, the maids were cleaning rooms at 7 a.m. and shouting to each other. Forget getting any sleep if you stay here. It was horrible. I couldn't believe how loud the maids were, with the doors to rooms wide open, television sets blaring and then shouting room to room to each other.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

We sincerely apologize for the quality of your stay here at Menlo Park Inn. Let us assure you that this is quite uncommon for our guests to experience. We would love to have you stay with us again and place you in a much quieter room on the second floor to show you the hospitality our guests normally receive at Menlo Park Inn!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is not my first visit here, and it certainly won't be my last. This motel beats some of the more well known chains in price, cleanliness, staff, convenience; you get the picture. Just an all around good place to stay.

Room Tip: The staff will help you with any special needs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Peggy P
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words! We can't wait for your next visit.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My dad was medivacked to Stanford. My mom and I had to find a hotel and get on the road in a matter of minutes to be present for his emergency surgery. After evaluating all options and all prices, I chose Menlo Park Inn mostly based on these reviews, along with those also on a hotel booking/broker site I had used many times for travel. I went for the highest ranking mid-price range for the area especially since the only hotels equivalent in ratings were $100 to $200 more and the hotels costing less had reviews that scared me. We arrived in the middle of the night and were greeted courteously. Our room was clean -- even the corners in the bathroom and in the closet area. There was a nice fridge and microwave, solid and fast free in-room wifi, an efficient ac/heater unit, a large flatscreen with DVD player, and very comfortable beds (think Westin kind of comfortable). It's not like walking-distance close to Stanford, but the route is easy, literally involving one right-hand and one left-hand turn. In between, there is a Safeway, a ton of good restaurants, a CalTrain station, a post office, several banks, and a whole mall. The neighborhood is quiet, though there is some street traffic and a CalTrain track, but our room was in the middle downstairs and was quite quiet, especially in the nighttime. I did not hear people walking above me and barely even heard some water run from neighboring rooms. There are also complimentary ear plugs in the room (great as my mom found I snore). At first glance, the outside didn't look anything special, but neither did it look awful like someone said. It is an outside corridor two-storey hotel/motel kind of set-up. I only saw 2 hotels in the area that looked spectacular for the area (and those again were the $100 to $200 more). The neighborhood may not look spectacular either, but I must say I was walking around at all times of day and evening and it really was safe. I never once felt uncomfortable on the main street or in the surrounding neighborhood. Now to the breakfast. It is really good. I have traveled a lot, and this was one of the better continental options --Starbucks coffee, juice, milk, yougurt, apples, bananas, muffins, bread, bagels, nutrigrain bars, cereal, and waffles (loved the waffles!). Yes, there is ONE waffle maker as in a recent review. I have never seen more than one in a hotel, personally, maybe in a huge hotel with hundreds of rooms. I had to wait once for another guest to finish making his waffle, but this is only fair. I am no more special than anyone else. Also, fresh cookies are available throughout the day. Anyways, there certainly was enough for breakfast and some snacks in-room later in the day. Breakfast is from 6:30 to 9:30 which gives you a great window to hit. Now for the kicker. . . this was the nicest, most concerned staff I have ever met in any hotel. Every member of the staff from housekeeping to the several front desk staff took absolute pride in the property and in being helpful and caring to us. The front desk staff offered any assistance we could need, from directions to extending the stay (we lucked out and there were openings). My mom and I first stayed and then I left via CalTrain/AmTrak and when my dad was released he took my spot to stay for follow-up outpatient care. My dad has not stopped commenting how great the hotel is ( especially the bed & breakfast). His actual quote to me was, "You picked a great hotel for your mom and for me. I would stay here again." Anyone who counts on reviews knows you can't please everyone with everything all the time, but considering our stay between us was almost 2 weeks, I think we got pretty familiar with all aspects of the hotel. In my opinion, this hotel had a really good overall combination of amenities all present for a stay that helped ease what we were going through and cared for our needs very well.

Room Tip: We liked the middle downstairs room. We lucked out with one which is great since my dad had difficu...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

We LOVED reading your review, and definitely hope to see you at our establishment again under more care-free circumstances.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Inn is an upscaled motel, but it is still a motel. The parking is extremely tight and with a large car, I had worries someone would nick my car. Fortunately, no one did. My issue is with the breakfast. It was the standard non-descript continental fare. There is only one waffle iron and had to wait in queue. On our second morning, my wife and I walked in, the young service desk attendent was finishing making herself a waffle. When I tried to pour myself some batter, the machine was empty. When I asked her to refill it, she checked around, squeeze some out from the bottom, and then came back and told me they do not have any more. When questioning her, she said their items are as supplies last. Upon further questioning, the issue was the mixing container was dirty and obviously cleaning it to make another batch was not an option. They have an active housekeeping staff and she was content to leave me hanging. I believe she was texting with the manager, because she came back and closed the cover hiding the batter dispenser. The older I get, the more customer service trumps the product. Next time, we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert M
Reviewed May 8, 2012

All staff were informed of our special requests (very late check in, extra towels) and were courteous and helpful. It looks awful from the outside but the inside was clean and spacious. It is not a fancy hotel, but it met our needs.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

The outside won't look awful for long! We are looking forward to our exterior renovations that will be starting this summer. We are always happy to accommodate our guests and their needs as much as possible. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

But for a motel in the expensive Menlo Park/Palo Alto it's fine. It's a motel through and through, on a busy stretch of highway, unprepossessing. The first room they gave me was in a cave next to the ice machine but I asked for a room with more light and got one on the second floor that was fine. Breakfast (included) was surprisingly inclusive. The manager was very helpful with an Expedia snafu.
No restaurant and nothing that looked promising in the neighborhood. I went to Trader Joe's just down the street and got a microwavable Indian meal. Just right.
Not a place for the luxury seeker or even the casual vacationer but if you're looking for a place to sleep while traveling on business, especially if it's your own dime (self-employed), this is perfect.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kbinnyc
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

I apologize for the room that you were originally placed in. The exterior look of our Inn will be renovated soon and will no longer have a motel reflection. If you are ever in the area again, I would love to give some recommendations for restaurants! Naomi Sushi (across from the Inn) was voted best sushi in all of Menlo Park and has received some amazing reviews from both Yelp! and our clients! I hope you will come visit again and have a more pleasant stay the second time around.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We booked two rooms. The king room looked good the double queen had issues. Stained carpet and chair, peeling wallpaper, holes in towels. Bed and sheets were like new, comfy beds. Staff very nice, but it seemed funny they would allow a stained desk chair and carpet. Maybe the room had not been detailed. Location good for being in Palo Alto. Resturant close by Jason's was terrific!

• Stayed: February 2012
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

First of all, thank you for taking the time to review us - we listen to each an every one of our guests in order to create a better experience at our inn. I do apologize for the issues you faced while staying with us. Rooms sometimes are cancelled but other guests and that is why our room availability can change from minute to minute. As far the room issues - we are having our staff go into the room you stayed in to take care of those problems. Again, we do apologize for your negative experience and do appreciate you bringing several issues to our attention. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menlo Park
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!