“Delicious food for Celiacs/gluten-free, great view too”
Review of Madera

Madera
Reserve with OpenTable
Madera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWY 280
Description: Madera Restaurant Honored with One Star by Michelin and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence 2012. A comfortably elegant ambiance, picturesque views and outdoor terraces welcome guests and Silicon Valley locals to Madera. Featuring an open artisan wood-burning kitchen and extensive wine list, Madera serves rustic American cuisine that celebrates the culinary traditions of the Bay Area In addition to indoor and outdoor dining, Madera offers two private dining rooms with private terraces and cozy fireplaces. The Lemon Room seats up to 10 guests, and the Orange Room up to 14 guests. This Menlo Park restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for Sunday brunch as well.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Delicious food for Celiacs/gluten-free, great view too”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have Celiac Disease and must maintain a strict gluten free diet, and the Madera always rises to the occasion. I recommend calling before and placing your order with Matt, the thoughtful and knowledgeable manager! He is well versed in Celiac needs and always walks me through the menu, item by item, to tell me what is gluten free (or can be made gluten free) or not. Matt always takes great care of me and makes sure to talk to the chef personally about preparing my food safely. I always call either the day before or the morning of my reservation so that there is adequate time for him to talk to the chef and for the chef to prepare my food (the kitchen is a bit small). They always separate a piece of meat for me (or whatever I order) before it gets handled by other cooks. He also stops by the table a few times during dinner to make sure everything is going smoothly! The outdoor seating area is our favorite spot too, with warm heaters and a great view. There is a nice bar that is always well-populated, but be prepared for a wide age range. Be sure to make a reservation for the restaurant too!

The only negative experience we had was when Matt wasn't working and we tried breakfast here. I brought a gluten free pancake mix from home and saw the chef dip his hand into the batter after handling a different dish that wasn't mine (the kitchen is open so you can see the chefs), then he poured my batter on the crepe maker after I specifically asked for a fresh pan that was far away from the "normal" pancakes...so the whole mix went to waste and I was left without breakfast.

• Visited February 2014

• Hebrew first
La Vernia, Texas
“Good food and wine”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Place to be entertained or to entertain clients. Food is good and scenery is great. Service was a little slow. View and location is fantastic.

Visited April 2014
“Great views, stunning location, efficient service but let down by food and price”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

4 of us ate here on a recent business trip. It is a stunning location and a must visit place. We were seated on the terrace and it was a great evening. The menu is quite short but varied. Three of us had prawns for starters. They were good large cold prawns - but nothing special and basically just prawns on ice with a little seaweed I think. I felt that they could have done so much better and more imaginative with such good ingredients.

The mains were 3 steaks and one duck. The duck was raved about and so tender. Two of the steaks were finished but we agreed were way over salted. I couldn't finish mine as it had so much salt on it. The accompanying things on the plate we very sparse. A deep fried rissole like thing with more meat in it and then minuscule pieces of vegetables and some shavings. It need vegetables and some potato.

Dessert was a mixed affair with a couple of cheesecakes with a way too spicy part and then the most ridiculously large portion of beignets - just crazy compared to everything else. The wine list is massive and so is the price. The mark ups verged in crazy for some wines.

2 people had a very ordinary dessert wine - a French Rieussec I think - and it was $20+ per glass which with a tip is outrageous and the pouring was tiny.

The service was efficient but for these prices the food should have been far better and overall I was disappointed. I'd give it another try for the view but maybe just drinks rather than dinner. Some reviewers on here seem to love it - but I just didn't think the food was sufficiently good to say more than average at the price point. The location carries this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
East Hampton
“Phenomenal super-high end 5-star mountain view dining 5 minutes from downtown PA/MP!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Wow, I had the veal shank with bone marrow - like golden buttery heaven! Incredible. Lost control of one of my shanks & it was swiped up off the rug within 45 seconds without skipping a beat! No worries here. Fantastic atmosphere, large open space room in the foothills of the Coastal (Warner) mountain range. Great, but $$$ wine list. Overall, given the area, on a relative basis, very pricey generally ~ $350 for two including drinks & good wine.

• Visited November 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Average Food but Good Service”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Dined here as part of a business meeting. Atmosphere was very nice. Service was very good and highly attentive. Food selections were good, however, prices were extremely high for lunch service. I had a chicken caesar salad which was good but nothing extraordinary. Others had a variety of salads and seafood selections. Most significant draw here for me is the atmosphere for a business discussion and the upscale nature of the accommodations. I would likely not bring my spouse here. Disappointing as the hotel is outstanding.

• Visited April 2014