“Too much hype for average food”
Review of Madera

Madera
Reserve with OpenTable
Madera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 124 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWY 280
Description: Madera Restaurant Honored with One Star by Michelin and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence 2012. A comfortably elegant ambiance, picturesque views and outdoor terraces welcome guests and Silicon Valley locals to Madera. Featuring an open artisan wood-burning kitchen and extensive wine list, Madera serves rustic American cuisine that celebrates the culinary traditions of the Bay Area In addition to indoor and outdoor dining, Madera offers two private dining rooms with private terraces and cozy fireplaces. The Lemon Room seats up to 10 guests, and the Orange Room up to 14 guests. This Menlo Park restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for Sunday brunch as well.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

First, the setting for this restaurant is exquisite (except the freeway noise). The hill views are stunning and there is a very "napa" feel to the outdoor space. The restaurant itself is beautifully designed with elegant settings without being overdone and an inviting large fireplace. The staff was friendly and efficient. Unfortunately, the food doesn't live up to the setting or the staff.

First, the vegetarian options were extremely limited. When we asked about this, the waiter indicated there were no other options. The mushrooms were bland and was simply one kind of mushrooms. The "crushed" potatoes were fairly flavorless and seemed to be just potatoes mixed with a bit of butter and italian parsley. Thank goodness for the salt and pepper on the table. My companion had black cod which was good but again unimaginative and basic. The desserts were non-descript. Ironically, the best part of the meal (not including the wine) was the amuse bouche which was a sunchoke soup and was complimentary. Without the setting, this restaurant has little to offer, especially for the price point. And ironically, we wondered into the lounge afterwards only to find that there were several vegetarian options available. The staff should have offered us a view of that menu or made us aware of it, as I have experienced at many fine restaurants. Will I go back? Not sure. I hear the brunch is quite good.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Even though I had been before the first thing I noticed upon arriving was the high price for the wines, by that I mean not just that they were expensive wines but that they were heavily marked up. The next thing was that the menu appeared to be similar even though it was over nine months since my previous visit - almost as if they were the same dishes but prepared a different way.

The food was very good though my main course could have been better, same as with my first visit.

It is a very good restaurant but I don't feel in a hurry to return.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had high expectations for this high-end restaurant for our Christmas party dinner for our office staff of eight. None of us would return. We did not get the experience we expected from a restaurant in a Rosewood resort. The ambiance was beautiful, but the service was unprofessional, and the noise level high. The biggest disappointment was that most portions were very small for such high prices and the menu was limited and most dishes tasteless.

I ordered a drink of coffee with Kahlua and whipped cream to start, my standard. The waiter brought me a glass of the coffee/Kahlua and a small pitcher of pure cream. I stated that I had asked for whipped cream on top. Instead of taking away the drink and bringing it back properly prepared, he told me to keep the coffee and he then returned with a dish with a dollop of whipped cream on it.

Six of us planned to share the appetizers. We ordered two orders each of abalone, prawns and octopus. The abalone was so tiny that there were not three bites for us to try in each order and the abalone was not flavorful. Abalone seems to be on many menus these days, and this is the only one I have had that was tasteless. When the waiter brought our main courses, he placed the wrong entrees in front of everyone and we had to figure out who had the medium, who had the rare, etc.

My sturgeon main course consisted of two strips that were 3 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, barely enough to cover the cassoulet beans underneath, which were very good.

There were no specials for the night and the menu is very limited - a page with a list of appetizers, faced by a page with about 10 main entrees.

I feel there are many better dining experiences in this Bay Area.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The view was peaceful and the weather perfect. The food, however, was just ok. My burger cost close to $20 and was served on a bun that completely fell apart from the juices. My sweetie had the lamb gyro, which was large, but nothing special. For a Michelin starred restaurant, it was disappointing.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I love taking a proper tea service and have tried many tea services around the world. The selection of teas was fine and served at the perfect temperature. I would say my dissapointment was the serving size of the sweet & savory dishes. I wasn't expecting a buffet but the portions did not equal the hefty $49 price tag. Highlight were the macaroons, or I should say the macaroon, you only get one. Dining room, tableware and atmosphere were top notch. We took a look at the lobby area of the hotel and thought he decor was pleasing.

1  Thank JBR888