“late night meal and drinks”
Review of Rosewood Sand Hill

Rosewood Sand Hill
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Seattle, Washington
“late night meal and drinks”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Four of us arrived minutes before the kitchen closed and had a great meal with drinks. The wait person was welcoming and extremely competent, graciously taking our orders and serving them with wonderful humor and warmth. Our meals were well prepared and presented, including superb hamburgers, a skirt steak with fries and arugula, and tuna tartar. The wine and cocktails were excellent. The bar was lively when we arrived. We stayed until the closing at 1 AM and had a wonderful time. I will return when in the area again.

Room Tip: We were staying at the Hotel Keen and went to the Rosewood Sand Hill Hotel for late dinner and drink...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RSHManagement, Manager at Rosewood Sand Hill, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Wayne T. - Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience in Madera. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area. Cheers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
Boston
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I won't repeat the already stated positive aspects about the hotel. However, a 3 night stay left me with the impression that the food and beverage department and service needs an overhaul.

First, there is way too long a wait between ordering and receiving room service. Forty-five minutes in the morning, when one has meetings etc to attend is just not acceptable. I ordered room service a few times and this seemed standard.

Second, they got my order entirely wrong, not once but twice e.g. the eggs benedict came as something completely different. It had to be sent back and I began the wait, all over again.

Third, after complaining to the F&B team about the above, someone was meant to get back to me in "just a few minutes" but there was no follow up.

Considering the price of the hotel, and the food - where you don't get away with a room service order that is less than about $50 at base for a main, this was markedly poor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RSHManagement, Manager at Rosewood Sand Hill, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience at our hotel. Our goal is to completely delight and satisfy our guests and we did not provide you with our usual high level of service. All of the issues you brought up have been addressed with the Food & Beverage management and staff.

We've appreciate your business and again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Firstly, the weather of Menlo Park does NOT lend itself to an outdoor layout of this type. Not sure what they were thinking there.

Secondly, when I came to get breakfast in the morning, the very rude hostess asked if I had a reservation. I said, "I'm staying at the hotel." She replied, very condescedingly, "Well, we're VERY busy and you should have made a reservation." I'm sorry. I don't care what Silicon Valley tycoons choose to power breakfast there, you look after your hotel guests. Luckily, an alert manager stepped in and quickly found us a table in the albeit busy but not totally full restaurant.

That being said, everyone else was very friendly. The design of the rooms was very nice.

Since there are only two decent hotels in the area, this is definitely better than the Four Seasons which is lacks any life whatsoever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NYCDesign78
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience at our hotel. Our goal is to completely delight and satisfy our guests and we did not provide you with our usual high level of service. The issue you encountered in Madera has been addressed with the appropriate management and staff.

We appreciate your business and again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again - hopefully when it's not raining and cold!
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were lucky enough to stay here when my husband was in town for work. Having previously stayed at The Carlyle, Rosewood Mayakoba and Rosewood Hotel Georgia, I had high expectations and I was not disappointed.

The property and grounds are beautiful and perfectly maintained. The rooms are enormous and resemble small cottages that are scattered throughout the property. The service was exceptional - the Rosewood standard - from the front desk, housekeeping, servers and concierge. The outdoor bar had a great wine list and the spa was worth the price.

My only complaint would be that the bars get packed beginning at 4:30 p.m. and it is almost impossible for hotel guests (or anyone else) arriving after that to get a seat. When paying the rate associated with the Rosewood, it would be nice for them to find a way to accommodate guests along with the local after-work crowd.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My experience at Rosewood Menlo Park was very pleasant. I usually get pancakes and pasta at a hotel but this time the food was so good that I tried something different. I tried french toast! They were also very attentive to food allergies. Rooms were good in size and nicely appointed. If we needed something, they were also quite fast to bring it to us. Room service was a little slow, but as mentioned, the food was great when it arrived. The hotel is in a nice location and we never had to go far to find what we needed. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: We were on the side facing the pool and it was fine but it was also far too cold to swim. In warmer...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We checked in right before Christmas with the hotel filled with holiday parties but not many room guests. Upon arriving, I realized that I had left my backpack filled with gifts including an iPad at National Rental Car at SFO. I was explaining this to my wife while checking in at the Rosewood. The check in clerk overheard me and immediately offered to help. By the time we reached our room, he had located and secured the bag with specific instructions on how to retrieve it. Amazing service!

The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated with a large bathroom with a big shower and separate bath. Our room was adjacent to the pool. This would have been nice except it rained the entire 3 days we were there and hence it was a negative as it was quite a walk from the lobby. It would have been nice if just once they had offered us a ride in one of their covered golf carts. The workout/spa area is one of the nicest that I have seen. Prices are expensive but the service is exceptional. We'll go back

Room Tip: Find a room close to parking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California, United States
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here a few times for a one night getaway. Even though we live in Menlo, it felt like we were far away from home and the service was amazing. Throw in spa and dinner and you will be in heaven. They have a great weekend package since I think the hotel is mostly full on weekdays with business travelers. On the weekends we have been there its felt very quiet and tranquil. We will return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Menlo Park
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!