“Hotel Continues to Impress”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosewood Sand Hill

Rosewood Sand Hill
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Hillsborough, California
“Hotel Continues to Impress”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family had a great experience with a Sunday night stay over the holiday weekend. Lots of other families enjoying the perfect weather poolside. Our children were particularly impressed with the surprise delivery of Sprinkles Cupcakes with their initials on them. Room size, finish quality, and decor are very good. Service is friendly and attentive. Dinner in the lounge and breakfast at Madera were excellent.

Can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jpatrickfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I work very close to this hotel and have come here for drinks, etc. It's a wonderful place to come for happy hour or dinner, but it's even better to stay in one of their huge luxurious rooms and lounge by the pool or visit the spa. It's so close to home, but feels like you're really on vacation. My husband and I also experienced great service when we went here for our anniversary. I love this hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer S
Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Rosewood properties before, but never this one, so we were interested to check it out, as we were drivng up the California coast for a trip to Oregon to attend a family wedding. We spent three nights here and enjoyed it very much. This is a first class modern resort, situated on the outskirts of Menlo Park, not too far away from the Palo Alto shopping mall and Stanford University. The resort is right off Sand Hill road, which is an exit on the 280 Freeway. The property is spread out in a series of two story buildings. It appears to be fairly new, maybe 4 or 5 years old at the most. The lobby is very modern and spacious, and you are warmly greeted by the valets and bellman upon arrival. Check-in was quick and easy. We were personally escorted to our room by a front desk person, through the nicely landscaped garden, and past the large outdoor swimming pool. He pointed out the restaurant along the way, and the outdoor patio and bar area. The bellman brought the luggage to the room via a separate route, using a golf cart. The room was large, with a separate entry way off of the outdoor hallways. It had a sitting area with couch, a desk, a large walk in closet, a giant sized, travertine marbeled bathroom, that included separate walk in shower and large soaking tub, and a double sink vanity. The room was exceptionally clean. There was also floor to ceiling windows that led to a balcony overlooking the beautiful grounds. Our room had a king sized bed, that was very comfortable. There were high ceilings (we were on the second floor) and lots of good lighting. The air conditioning worked very well and was very quiet. The room has lots of amenities, including a safe, mini fridge/honor bar, iron, hair dryer, nice soap, shampoo and lotion products, slippers, robes, large soft towels, a large screen HD flat panel TV with a dock to facilitate iPhone attachment for listening to audio, turn down service with chocolates, complimentary bottled water and an espresso maker. We only had breakfast at the on-premises restaurant named Madera, but it was top notch service-wise, and taste-wise. They do serve dinner and lunch as well. And there is in-room dinning available too. We did have drinks in the bar, where they offer some interesting cocktail combinations, and provide you with a tray of olives, pretzel mix, and nuts, with your drinks. Both the restaurant and the bar (which is right next door) have a large outdoor balcony that overlooks the property and the nearby mountains. The property also has a very nice workout room/health club and a full service spa. I did not get a massage treatment, but I did use the steam room and whirlpool in the men's locker room area, which is fully equipped with lockers, showers, etc. There was no additional cost for use of these very clean and well maintained facilities. All the resort staff were very friendly and accomodating. One of our days in this area we visited the Filoli House and Gardens which is a nice 15 minute drive up the road to Woodside. We also took a 20 minute drive across the mountains to Half Moon bay, and had a nice walk along the shoreline on the beach. Downtown San Francisco is only 30 minutes away from Menlo Park. We very much enjoyed our stay here, and found this to be a very pleasant surprise off of the beaten path.

Room Tip: Rosewood has special deals like: stay 3 nights but only pay for two!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hshapi
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Outstanding place to stay. It is expensive but well worth the price, the comfort, service and location are great. We used the pool a lot, not sure what activities they have when the weather is not so nice, but the place is great. The rooms are excellent, the staff is excellent. I would recomment this to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Philippe J
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel was gorgeous, and the rooms we stayed in were really beautiful. Definitely one of the nicer places we've stayed.

One thing I really appreciated was how quiet the room was. Everything in the room was silent. The bathroom door opened silently, the sinks are quiet, the patio door slides open and even locks silently, the bed/chairs don't squeak, the fridge door even opens silently!

The reason I noticed and appreciated this was because we had a sleeping baby in the room, and it was a Godsend to still be able to move about and use the room without waking her up.

I'm torn on the service, though. I had one terrific experience and one very poor experience, so I guess it balances out to "ok service," but for a hotel of this level, I expect exceptional service.

TERRIFIC EXPERIENCE: this was my wife and my first time in a hotel with a baby. We have a 1 year old, which I mentioned ahead of time when we booked the room, and I asked for a crib.

Not only did we show up to find a beautiful large crib in our room, it had nice sheets, a nice plush liner, a baby bathtub in the bathroom, a diaper pale, a basket of diapers of different sizes, and some very nice baby creams and lotions! I was totally blown away.

We brought our parents with us to help with the baby since we were both there to be in a wedding, and the hotel had already set up my parents room with all the same amenities.

It was beyond the call of duty and a great start to our trip. The service in this regard really knocked my socks off.

BAD EXPERIENCE: The men of the wedding had arranged to get dressed in our tuxedos in our hotel room, and the Bride was sending the photographer to come and photograph us getting ready, toasting the groom, etc.

I called the concierge to arrange to have the room cleaned before everyone arrived so that the photos could look nice. I was told it would be no problem. I called again later to housekeeping to confirm that they were going to come and have the room ready by 1:30pm (when the photographer was arriving). I had to leave to run some errands at 1, so I called AGAIN to triple-check that the room would be ready and to let them know the room was available to be cleaned at that time. Again, no problemo. They said they'd head right over.

Well - I came back with the guys and photographer at 1:30, and no one had been there to clean the room. No one ever came until an hour later or so, but by then the photos were already in full swing.

So... not the end of the world, but the photos maybe aren't quite as nice as they could be, etc. I think it was a good thing that it was just us guys - I suspect that if it was the Bride and her girls, it might have been a much bigger deal.

Anyway - overall, we had a great stay here, and I would definitely return. The odds of needing to have your room clean by a specific time are probably very low, and in all other ways the hotel was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank skelly6
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We've stayed in many different hotels in the Palo Alto area and this one has been the best so far. I just read another review that describes how it is in the rain and I must admit that it would be pretty awful going from building to building and car in the rain. However, this was July and it was wonderful. I had treatments in the spa that were superb and also used the pool several times. The pool did seem to be full of children on weekends but not so much that you couldn't swim if you wanted to. The hotel decor is California Ranch and done very well. Every detail seems to have been carefully thought out. We ate at Madera (hotel restaurant) several times. The food was very good to excellent. I only had one dish that I didn't care for. Room service breakfast needs some attention. Two times they forgot the entree and that didn't work for us because my husband didn't have time for them to retrieve it so he went without. I can sort of understand forgetting sugar or cream, but the entree! We stayed in two different rooms because of not being able to get our requested suite for the first couple of nights. Changing rooms was a drag and we won't do that again. The first room was a standard king and backed up to 280. As close as it was to the freeway, we heard nothing and the terrace overlooked the pool which was very nice. The suite was very large with a nice gas fireplace. One nice feature of both rooms is the desk for two. Nowdays, both husband and wife often travel with laptops and we found that very convenient. My husband had business at both ends of the Silicon Valley and he found that the location right off of 280 was extremely convenient. It was even better than the 4 Season located on 101. The hotel was hopping every night with business meetings, parties, weddings. That was nice but not necessary to our enjoying the hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. When we go to the Silicon Valley, this is our new hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get one close to the lobby in the winter in case of rain.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Rosewood is a beautiful spot in a beautiful part of the world. The rooms are spread over a small campus on a west facing hill, some surrounding the pool, and some ranged around rectangular gardens. They are large rooms, well appointed, light colors. Comfortable beds, linen, bathrooms, etc. Every room with access to a terrace or balcony, offering air and some views. The service is everywhere it needs to be, polite and helpful, focused, not over the top or intrusive. Public areas are special. Drinks at sunset on the terrace facing the hills is pretty perfect. Huge great room indoors for drinks, reading, meeting people; it is pretty grand, yet manages to be welcoming like a big living room. Definitely a popular spot for the local financiers, lawyers, and entrepreneurs to meet, mingle, or relax after work.

Room Tip: Ask not to be near the highway if you want quiet. Most of the rooms aren't affected, but there...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 27 in Palo Alto
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!