“Safe?”

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Holly E

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a horrible experience from the start! We arrived around 10pm and I went to the "front desk" to get our keys... No one was there, but I spotted an envelope with my name on it. I opened it and found a key for room #4... As I turned around to spot our destination, I saw a man walk right in to OUR (or I thought) room! So, I proceeded to the room to see what the hell was going on... The man informed me that he has been in that room for a few days... We were exhausted and just wanted to sleep! Being that no one was at the front desk, I had to call... The owner/manager, who clearly lives there, told me that we were suppose to be in room #10... instead of him coming out to help us, he told ME to open up the key drop box and pull my key out. Well, there were only keys for room 9 and 11... He said "take room 11 then." We were beyond frustrated at this point, but kept it quiet and went to our room.

The room was very spacious (I'll give them that) but it was dirty. The bathroom was the worst part. There was hair everywhere... Shower, floor, toilet and even on the walls (including above the door!!!)... It was disgusting! (I could go on about the filth, but you get the general idea)

They need to learn to prepare better... That way they know what room you're suppose to be in AND insure that it is cleaned before your arrival!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank kathistgeorge
Reviewed December 2, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Dustin C
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I could have overlooked many of the cons for this hotel if it weren't for the non-functional deadbolt and a window that didn't close completely.

Pros: This hotel is close enough to walk to the Stanford shopping center, but it's along haul to the hospitals or main campus if you're walking. Short car or bike ride.
Spacious room with kitchen.
It is one of the most affordable hotels in the area, but I still felt like we paid double what a stay in a comparable hotel would have cost.

Cons: Deadbolt did not lock. Bathroom window didn't close or lock.
Finishings/amenities are outdated.
Noisy--because of the age of the building, we could hear every step across the floor our neighbors took.
No lobby--only a pass-through window that is not manned 24 hrs.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 22, 2013

what a nice place...old but ideal
great location i'll stay here over and over again.
great service at front desk, nice rooms, large and renovated,
ideal for long term stays as rooms have full kitchen...

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 628george
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was surprised by large room size and so convenient a location near Stanford University.Very friendly staff ,recommend for clean budget minded traveler.The maid changed towels every day,although the place is very old, it was clean .I don't know what other Posters are complaining about.My stay was wonderful,I enjoyed sitting up on the terrace for California Sunset .The hotel is close to Cal-Train Station Palo Alto and Safeway department store ,which was ideal for groceries. I enjoyed cooking meals in the room.

Room Tip: Call hotel for better rates.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Not quite sure where to start...
The room/apartment was huge but very dirty. Like many of the experiences described here, I checked the sheets, and checked the mattress for bed bugs (which, thankfully, I didn't find).
There were holes in the walls, mould in many places, dirty surfaces everywhere, a number of unrecognizable insects, and stains on the carpet and walls. I had an apartment in the front of the motel and it was VERY noisy. There was also no real lock on the door, so I wedged a chair under the handle every night. The ceiling fan was broken and on the third night the SMALL air conditioning unit also stopped working. I got clean (stained) towels and my bed made, a couple of nights, but only a couple! Would NOT recommend this place... but it is less expensive than most hotels in Palo Alto.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2 mi away
Stanford Terrace Inn
Stanford Terrace Inn
#25 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!