“so bad it was laughable”
Review of Stanford Inn

Stanford Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I am usually perfectly content with Motel 6 but there is none close to this location so I thought "how bad can it be for one night?". The answer is: very very bad, possibly the worst place I have ever stayed. I arrived at 9PM and the management was nowhere to be found. They had left the key for me in an envelope.They gave me a suite-a small 2 bedroom apartment really-the last room they had. The furniture was dingy and the chairs were so stained that it was creepy to sit on them even in my jeans. It was a freezing cold night and the rooms were unheated but the heater didn't work. Luckily I always carry a fleece jacket in the car. The sheets and pillowcases were dirty. There was no blanket on the bed (just a bedspread). The light that would have made it possible to read in bed was blown out. The deadbolt strike had been broken out (by a previous kick?) so the only door lock was a flimsy chain attached to the wooden door and jamb with lightweight screws. I crammed a chair under the doorknob (I've never actually done that before.) There were 2 outlets tantalizingly near the bed but one was broken and the other was not near enough to plug in a heating pad or a light or a clock or anything like that. The kitchen was so filthy it's hard to imagine that anyone had cleaned it in months and the fridge had old food in it from a previous occupant (!). The bathroom was grubby and there was trash in the wastebasket possibly from the same previous occupant. I slept in my fleece jacket and put on my jeans and bolted the next morning. Anyway it was way too cold for a shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

A flea bag is not a value just because it is 50% cheaper than the other motels. I would even call it scary! The paint was coming off! The grounds were all parking asphalt! I could not bring myself to stay there!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked on Expedia so did not know what a terrible place this was on a busy street. I had prepaid but elected to lose my 1st night payment since this place was awful. The amenities were circa 1950, door lock could be easily picked with a credit card. Proprietor was unhelpful.

I would give this a minus rating if there was one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I am here for 10 days with my son, who has a program on the Stanford University campus, so I wanted to find something that was in close proximity. Since I am on a budget this hotel seems to fit right into my budget. I got here and boy was this a big disappointment. I would imagine if it's this close to Stanford then it must be somewhat decent, so I didn't check the rating before booking. BIG MISTAKE!!!!. This so call hotel is a piece of crop and should not be allowed to used the name Stanford, yet alone be open to conduct business. It is not suited for humans.

When I pull up to the building I was a little shock, but I kept an open mind saying the inside will be better. WRONG AGAIN!. I pick up my keys from a window with at least 12 pairs of shoes under a bench, and I am thinking to myself what in the world is this place. Well it didn't stop there. When I ask where is the elevators, I was told we don't have any. So my son and I had to carry our bags upstairs. When I open the door instantly I turn to my son and said I am not staying in this dump even if they offer me a million dollar.

We both stood in the middle of the floor and I got on the phone and call and have my reservation cancel. The pillow cases that were supposed to be white, look dark and dirty and the whole room smell foul. The place just look like they have "BED BUGS". Also I didn't like the elements hanging around either. Especially with the type of door/lock coming apart, men walking around with no shirt on and they the are not at a pool or anything, just walking around the yard. They just look scary. I had to call my play brother who live about 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic. He came and pick us up. I try finding another hotel but was unable because of all the activities going on. He was a GOD sent.

So if for some reason you ever come across this hotel, I recommend that you RUN in the opposite direction. It is really a HORRIBLE HOTEL. First off, the web page on this hotel is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. This site should be shut down and the so call hotel as well. It is not worth rating at all......

Marylander

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carmelita J
Reviewed July 25, 2012

If you are on a budget and need a place to stay for a $100.00 + taxes a night, I recommend you stay at your nearest park in a sleeping bag and a tent before coming to this HORRIBLE HOTEL. First off, the web page on this hotel is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. For a $100.00 a night plus taxes one should get some basic necessities. However, this HOTEL GIVES YOU BELOW LIVING STANDARDS. The running water in the bathroom is very noisy...the kitchen smells like gas...and there is a water heater adjacent to the stove in the kitchen. How is this even legal? Furthermore, the AC does not work and they do not clean your rooms on a daily basis unless you ask for it. In closing, there are termites everywhere....Even if you are desperate for a room, don't waste your time on this Motel-Hotel. The service is HORRIBLE!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time on this hotel....Any hotel on the face of this planet is better than this...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed at the Stanford Inn for business the weekend of 2/10 - 2/12/12. I arrived around 8pm. A nice woman checked me in. I had prepaid on Expedia.com so I didn’t have to sign anything or give my credit card. I was told the free wi-fi information and was instructed to leave the key with them when I check out. I was assigned to Room 2. When you walk in, the bathroom is to the right. There were a couple towels, hand towel, and wash cloths. Toiletries include one conditioning shampoo and four mini soaps. Fortunately, I brought my own toiletries, but I‘m not sure if I want to use the shower. Although I did use one of their mini soaps to wash my hands. There’s also a hair dryer attached to the wall. The shower had a slow leak.

There’s also a walk-in closet. There’s about 15 random hangers to use. Also, there were two extra blankets on the top shelf, but I didn’t want to use them because they didn’t look too clean.

There’s a queen size bed with four pillows and two reading lights above the bed. The bed was fine, would have loved extra blankets. There’s a nightstand with a digital alarm clock. A desk, telephone, two sofa chairs, and a coffee table. They provide free wi-fi. Password is “internet.”

There’s a small television with Comcast cable in a cabinet.

There’s a round glass table with four chairs. The kitchen has a mini refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, sink, and dish rack. The marble counter top, as well as the stainless steel sink was fairly new. The cupboard had four plates, a few bowls, cups, glasses, pots & pans, a few utensils, spatula, can opener, and wine bottle opener. There was an old sponge, dish soap to use. There was a paper towel dispenser, as well as some packaged coffee, sugar, non-dairy creamer packages, and Styrofoam cups.

Unfortunately, my room was facing the main street so you can hear all the cars/trucks driving by. It’s an old building, and it was probably cleaner than it felt. The room could have used new paint. The area rug looked old, and there were stains on the dining room chairs. Even though the building was old, new paint and replacing old stained furniture would make a big difference. In my opinion, the room was not worth the $109 per night rate. I probably won’t stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JennShio
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Let's begin when you enter....(don't be deceived by the cute lemon & orange trees in the courtyard)

-The "office" was a tiny window, very unwelcoming
-When walking into the room the door only had a basic lock, no double locks or electronic card lock.
-It looked like a convent

-Carpet was filthy

-Multiple holes in the wall

-the towels looked old & disheveled

-windows & holes were "repaired" with tape

-When walking into the kitchen, the ground was wet, fridge was unplugged & there was big chunks of melted ice in the dirty freezer. The gas stove was also missing a knob.

-Our room was right next too the road, it did not feel safe nor clean!

-Our biggest complaint was we couldn't turn on the gas heater---I'm on oxygen 24/7...it is flammable! You're supposed to stay 20ft away from open flame! SO we froze our butts off & woke up with severe muscle aches & headaches. When we confronted them about booking us even though they knew we oxygen with us, it didn't seem to phase them as important.

The whole place was unacceptable. We decided to ditch it for a Travel Lodge on El Camino Real. Stanford Inn needs A lot of work, I'll leave it at that.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hotel Lucent
Hotel Lucent
#2 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!