“Comfortable, Relaxing, & Cozy in Fall. The Staff was Sweet.”
Review of Hill House Inn

Hill House Inn
Ranked #15 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
El Sobrante, CA
“Comfortable, Relaxing, & Cozy in Fall. The Staff was Sweet.”
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Loved the fireplace in the room. The ocean view was wonderful.

The staff worked hard to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Teresa (front desk) helped me find my way around town with a little visitor's map & suggested a great place to eat. I called the day after we left to say that I had lost my favorite pair of slippers. Sabryyah (front desk) located them for me, called me back & mailed them to me! Even after my stay, she provided awesome service.

The Hill House Inn is close enough to walk to town.

The price for Fall was a bargain.

Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Generally, it was a lovely stay. Arrived on Halloween evening, and were greeted by Teresa and Bob, both of whom offered a friendly greeting and extended excellent customer service throughout our visit. Teresa was very helpful in answering our questions about where to eat and what to do, and Bob was very entertaining throughout our...shall we say "interesting" experience at the hotel's karioke Halloween party.

Room was nice - incredibly small bathroom area, but nice, spacious room with an extremely comfortable king-size bed, fireplace and a beautiful ocean view. I will agree that the Continental Breakfast left a LOT to be desired. Coffee was weak, and the limited amount of food (a bowl of small apples and oranges and saran wrapped bagels) was pretty pitiful.

Great location!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the continental breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank anibananie

Travelers are raving about these Mendocino hotels

California
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel over a very rainy weekend.... The weather was not good, but the hotel was great and that make the weekend wonderful... The room was large, clean and very comfortable... They are dog friendly so we brought our dog...
We were there with a group.... because of the rain they made arrangements for our group to have a meeting place to visit and play games... they went up and beyond to make the group comfortable.
They also have a very nice continental breakfast... that was an unexpected treat.
We would highly recommend this hotel.... we plan to return next year.

• Liked — great hotel... clean and comfortable... GREAT location in town
  • Disliked — we really liked this hotel.... nothing bad
  • Stayed October 2008
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 24, 2008

My friend had a wedding at this hotel and so I stayed for three nights. The staff is very friendly. The handyman is one of the quickest, most helpful and friendly I've ever met. From the check-in, to the reception, to advice/directions, to check-out, I was completely satisfied with every encounter.

I will back up what others have said about the lounge and restaurant. It would be nice if the lounge was open more often (it was not open at all while we were there, except for the wedding reception) and if breakfast was more than a bagel in saran wrap.

All in all, I will definitely stay here again when I return to Mendocino!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Yountville, California
Reviewed September 16, 2008

...this is where we were moved after a night of agony...

Our second day in Mendocino Town was happier and vastly more appropriate for us. I went up to this Beautiful Place at 5:30am, took one look and raced back to the other place to fetch the baggage and my lovely partner. She was alarmed, then charmed; the instant I opened the door and showed her in. When she smiles, I am happy..
Not enough can be said for management that tries to please; it is sufficient to laud Paul, the night clerk/manager.
Our room was a lower, no stairs to challenge us. There was a King Bed, a large bathroom area, a commodious table that served us very well - all the comforts!
The morning included a wonderful Continental Style Breakfast that was ample. My partner went to her all-day meeting, I drove back and killed time with a paper, a hike along the cliffs and having a lunch that I shouldn't have.
Highly recommended

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Napa, CA
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We traveled from Portland, Oregon down US 101 & Hwy 1 to Mendocino, CA. Staying at different hotels down the coast. This was by far the nicest, friendliest, and most accommodating hotel.
When you arrive you walk through beautiful gardens and step into a magnificent hotel lobby. Beautiful decor and warm friendly hotel staff. We were shown different rooms to choose from, one with a garden view and the other a ocean view.
The room had a wonderful fire place, king size bed and plenty of closet space. The decor was Victorian in flavor and was very relaxing.
Theresa at the front desk recommended a wonderful place for dinner in town. After we walked around the town and then came back to sit by the fire. Beautiful stay for our last night on the coast.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — no restaurant at this time
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We've been to Mendocino many times. The Hill House Inn location in Mendocino is perfect, We were disappointed with everything else. The restaurant is closed, the bar (lounge) is closed unless there's entertainment and then there's a cover charge, and the Sunday brunch was a toast-it-yourself bagel with cream cheese in the closed bar area. The staff did come in to clear tables but the dirty dishes were left to pile up next to the clean plates and silverware.

Our room was dark, and the view was limited.

No internet access in the room, although they did have it in the lounge.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jtooley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River
Sea Gull Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hill House Inn? Share your experiences!