“Mendocino Charm and Beauty”
Review of Hill House Inn

Hill House Inn
Ranked #15 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA USA
“Mendocino Charm and Beauty”
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We pulled into their parking lot late in the evening. It was dark and all we could see was their well-lit and very welcoming sign out front. And, a welcome sight it was. We were warmly greeted by a cheerful Mary Jo at the front desk and efficiently checked-in. She also recommended the Mendocino Hotel at the bottom of the hill for a evening drink and a bite to eat. It was a perfect recommendation. By the time we returned, we were ready to call it a day and comfortably turned in. The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds, adequate lighting and in-room coffee maker in a cozy decor. The rooms are easily accessible and only a short walk from both the parking area as well as the main building, where a lounge and breakfast room are located. But the real gem of the area is the access to the coastline. The next morning, a brisk walk along the cliffs by the ocean was an envigorating and spectacular way to start our day - the view is magnificent...don't miss it. This darling little hideaway of a town was the backdrop for the well-known TV show, "Murder She Wrote" lending the scenery for Cabot Cove. We found the townspeople very amiable and accommodating and hated to leave. Don't miss their well-stocked general market...it has everything you'd need and a pleasure at which to shop! Our one night stay was just a tease and we vowed we'd come back.

• Liked — The entire scene...hotel, people, town, atmosphere and the coastline
  • Disliked — Bathrooms are small!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Columbia, MD
Reviewed March 5, 2008

After reading the other reviews of travelers that stayed at the Hill House Inn, I'm not sure we stayed at the same place. I selected the Hill House Inn after reviewing the Inn's web site and reading Tripadvisor reviews. The website describes the Inn as "A Country Inn on the Ocean ... More than a Bed and Breakfast in Historic Mendocino California" and shows two beautiful oceanfront photo vistas. Foolishly perhaps, I assumed that the Inn was there atop or close to the Ocean cliffs in the photos, and so I reserved the Deluxe Ocean View Room.
Surprise #1: The Inn is NOT on (or even near) the ocean. It is about one mile away from the ocean. You won't be walking out of the Inn to the ocean; if you do, expect a long walk. You can see the ocean from the Inn, but it isn't easy. I took photos of the view from my so-called Deluxe Ocean View Room. Trees blocked the view directly out to the ocean; Trees and clutter blocked most of the ocean view to the south; and a blue house-type structure blocked most of the ocean view to the north. A garden view room would have been much less expensive, with a good view of adjacent Highway 1.
Surprise #2: The Inn is NOT more than a Bed and Breakfast; it isn't even a B&B! When we entered the breakfast room, what we found was (a) coffee, tea and orange juice; (b) a bowl of pretty pathetic green apples and oranges; and a bowl of cellophane-wrapped bagels next to a toaster. That's it!
While other guests looked around in disbelief, we decided to go into town for a real breakfast. The next morning, I checked to see if the breakfast assortment had improved (it hadn't); and apparently the other guests came to the same judgement, because the breakfast room was empty.
Otherwise, our room was acceptable, but not exceptional one way or the other. It had a nice fireplace. The bathroom door was a hard-to-open sliding door. Internet access was available only in the lobby; not very convenient if you need to plug your laptop into an outlet. You can make free local and long distance calls from the telephone in the room; however, you cannot connect your laptop to the telephone or telephone line (if you have a telephone-based internet provider).
And finally, the carpeting outside our room (an outdoor entrance) was covered with black mold and also moss! Given the other problems with this Inn, that didn't even make it to the top of the list.
So my advice is: If you want good ocean view lodging, choose the nearby Little River Inn (I wish I knew it was so close to Mendocino before I chose the Hill House), or in Mendocino the Sea Rock Inn or Agate Cove.
But consider yourself forewarned, DON'T stay at the Hill House Inn.

• Liked — Fireplace
  • Disliked — Misrepresentation of Inn's location on ocean, and that it had a restaurant or is a B&B.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ColumbiaTrekkers

Travelers are raving about these Mendocino hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I had originally booked to stay at a rental house found on Craigslist, but found out they had overbooked when I arrived to Mendocino. Luckily we stumbled upon the Hill House Inn and there was a room available for the weekend. We had a pleasant experience here. Everyone was really friendly and the rooms were clean and spacious with great views. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a nice get-away to Mendocino. The only trouble I had, and it was minor, was the noise level above us. Again, it was minor, but should be noted. Go ahead, give this place a chance and you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — I loved the history and atmosphere of this Inn.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed February 24, 2008

The location of Hill House Inn makes it very convenient to the ocean, downtown Mendocino and Fort Bragg. The room was very clean although noises from adjoining rooms (side and above) could be heard. At the time of our stay, the restaurant was closed due to it being off season so finding a family restaurant open in the evenings meant a trip to Fort Bragg.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
oakland, ca
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We spent this past weekend in Mendocino, where we spent one night at the Hill House Inn. It was a spur of the moment trip, and we were pleasantly surprised to find a room available for a one-night-only stay on a holiday weekend (many hotels in this location have 2-night minimums on weekends and 3-night minimums on holiday weekends). We weren't sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised by the large yet cozy room, comfortable bed and big feather pillows. The "continental breakfast" was modest (english muffins, juice and coffee) but sufficient, and the coffee was good. The staff was very friendly, and Sabryyah helped us out with some good walking trails and tips about town. Prices were also reasonable for the area. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed February 2008
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I had the highest hopes for our stay at the "famous" Hill House, I love Mendocino and Fort Bragg. I booked a room with an ocean view which I don't recommend because you're a bit far away and it's always so foggy there you can't really see the ocean anyway. To make a long story short, the room just hadn't been cleaned properly in a long time. A former guest had spit their toothpaste on the towel bar in the bathroom and it had been left there for... well who knows how long.
The bed "linens" were ripped and had holes in the comforter and pillow shams. I just expect a little better for that kind of money. There was garbage under the bed and it looked like it hadn't been dusted in at least two months. The grossest thing was this, on the last day we were there we were looking around and making sure we got everything and looked at the nightstand. On the bible was a heavy layer of dust and on top of that was what looked like a (please excuse me) perfectly formed poop. I'm not joking, this is not a joke.
I wish it were. I told the clerk at the desk about the trouble and when I called later to talk to the manager, she said it was actually chewing tobacco. I guess we'll never know. All I can say is you'll get a cleaner room with the same amenities at the Motel 6. They did nothing special there. Please learn from my misfortune.

• Liked — It was in Mendocino.
  • Disliked — It was filthy.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank superjules
NYC, NY
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I have just returned from a business trip on which I stayed at the Hill House Inn. The hotel is very inviting, comfortable, and has a great location. The room was well maintained and clean, and I enjoyed the fact that it is in a quiet location. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Levi at the front desk was very helpful, very patient, and answered all of my questions in great detail. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody else who is visiting the area.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Hill House Inn? Share your experiences!