“Formerly elegant”

Hill House Inn
Ranked #15 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
“Formerly elegant”
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Friendly but past its prime. We paid $100 which was fair but rooms are not worth "rack rate"

Modest breakfast, well used furnishings, limited electrical outlets. Definitely not up to modern standards.
Staff was friendly but hotel is out of the "big band" era of mid last century.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed with a groupon for two nights this week. I was expecting a lot worse than we got. The room is dated, but the location is great. When I used to stay in Mendo in the 90's, I always stayed at the Seafoam Lodge( sadly, closed) and it was a drive into town. It was nice being in town this time. We had a ground floor, ocean view king room. The room was very large. The bed was lumpy with a cheap mattress.The TV was the oldest TV Ive ever seen in a hotel. It looked like it was from the 70's, Do they even make Zenith any longer? The toilet was scary, like a big black hole. I've never seen a low flow toilet like this, it was kinda weird and creepy. I would have liked to sit on the deck, but the chairs were really dirty. The breakfast was basic, make your own waffles and some bread with a hole in the middle( i refuse to call it a bagel, because it isnt a real bagel). I would have loved a glass of milk, but they dont have any because " we dont serve anything that requires milk". Yeah, ok, they dont serve milk because its expensive. I had a bit of trouble with the wifi, it needed to be reset a couple of times in the two days we were there. It was a good deal for 165.00 for 2 nights, but I'm sure you could find similar deals.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Calicakes
drchef, General Manager at Hill House Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We appreciate comments from our guest's that let us know where we can improve. Outdoor furniture should always be clean and ready to use for all of our guests even during inclement weather. This year we have started a tv replacement schedule and are sorry that the room that this guest stayed in was still outfitted with an older model. We hope to have all older models gone by the end of this year.
Woodacre
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I always look forward to my brief but wonderful "get aways" when I go to the Hill House Inn. The staff is always so helpful and friendly and of course it is nice to be remembered. Kathy is always so pleasant to deal with, so efficient and welcoming. Jennifer is too. I don't know the names of all, however, it is always a great experience. I love how I can bring my "Olive" (dog) my 94 year old Mom and my teenage son. It is very convenient, you can walk into town or drive anywhere from its central location. The rooms are just the right size (the beds and bedding could improve...bring your favorite pillow!) The furnishings are perfect for the setting, I love the confy old fashioned Wing Chairs, great chair to read or just sit and look out the window. I always recommend the Hill House Inn. I have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: Just about any room at the Hill House is a good room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OliveJA
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed in Hill house inn via the living social deal. I would say it just fits the bill. It has an Victorian era architecture. Rooms are not too big and not too small. Best is it located very close to all the shops and activities. Good breakfast and good staff.
Since we were visitng Mendocino for the first time - the hotel staff helped us with various details and provided us with map. Since we were vegetarians they suggested us one of the best places to eat at - The Raverns. It was an amazing experience. Below is a short list of things to do. Hopefully should help first timer visiting with family -
Took a skunk train ride – nice to do. Check out details at skunktrain.com

· Went around Mendocino headlands state park –it has some good views.

· Glass beach. Although there are very few colored glass pieces left – still good place to spent some time.

· If you are into Art and Music- then Mendocino offers many Art / music event. You can google and find out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Makwana
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Located an easy walk from town, this is a comfortable b and b with lots of warmth. Room was of good size and well equipped, and the breakfast was filling. They have a do-it-yourself waffle iron that produced light and delicious waffles. A nice spot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with the Hill House Inn! We did not have reservations but were able to get a nice room anyway. From the moment we walked in, we loved it. The place was so charming and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Our room was really cute and clean and the breakfast was great. The staff helped us find a restaurant in town for dinner that would be good for kids, and they were happy to tell us about the history of the place, the TV series that was filmed there, and take pictures of our family in front of the inn. The other guests were really nice, too. I would highly recomment this place. I read the other reviews and we had none of the problems some people listed. The entire experience was flawless and allowed us to truly enjoy ourselves. We really felt at home, away from home. Thanks for a wonderful stay, and thanks to your super friendly staff for treating us so nicely! We can't wait to come back and stay with you again!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
drchef, General Manager at Hill House Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
It warms our hearts to hear from guests like these who have had such a wonderful time and enjoyed the hospitality that our staff strives to convey at all times. We take pride in interacting with each guest to ensure that their experience here creates lasting memories and of course return visitors. We appreciate their positive comments and hope to see them again soon.
santa rosa
Reviewed July 18, 2012

so while staying in Mendocino I bumped into Kris Kristofferson at the Mendocino Hotel and then while touring the grounds of the Hill House inn, I met his kids !!
the hotel is beautiful, the staff is super friendly and helpful, and stars stay here what more could you want !!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SantaRosaLolita69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Blue Door Inn
Blue Door Inn
#9 of 25 in Mendocino
Sea Gull Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hill House Inn? Share your experiences!