“Outstanding. You'll be planning your return trip as soon as you leave...”

Stanford Inn by the Sea
Ranked #6 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Millbrae, California
“Outstanding. You'll be planning your return trip as soon as you leave...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I just wanted to add my review to all of the others. I don't think I can add much more than just redundant gushing about how great this place is! I took my significant other here for her birthday this weekend and we were both floored at how wonderful everything was: The rooms (nicely appointed, with a fireplace, no less), the views (we had a garden-level with a deck – from there we could see...well...the garden and beyond that, the ocean) and the food (I'm a light carnivore/vegitari-ish and the onsite restaurant – Ravens – is vegan; the two breakfasts I had there were quite good, despite the lack of bacon – but if vegan isn't your thing, the town is a short hop away, so don't let this deter you).

Our room came with free bicycle rentals from Catch-a-Canoe (onsite bike and canoe/kayak rental) – so we were able to ride into town as well as tool along the river; we did not have time to go kayaking, though. One tip: Plan on kayaking in the morning as the winds/tides can make it unpleasant in the afternoon (or so we were told by the guy in the rental house).
We did make use of the pool, jacuzzi and sauna that are housed in the solarium – very relaxing; if you forget your swim suit, you can buy one (at least guys can) at the gift shop off of the main office. The gift shop also sells hats, wine, books, knick knacks, tchotchkes and frau fraus, should you be low on supply.

Did I tell you that we got two free chocolate chip cookies (vegan, of course) each day?

I found the service to be outstanding – everyone was friendly and helpful.

I would definitely recommend staying here and I know we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Big River Pettite Queen room on the ground floor (garden level). I was not able to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris T
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thanks so much for the great review, Chris, it sounds like you guys had a great time in Mendocino! We are sorry you weren't able to experience the canoes/kayaks (next time!), but glad you got to take the bikes on the scenic river trail. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future - your freshly baked chocolate chip cookies will be waiting :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at the Stanford Inn March 7-10, 2014. What a treat!

Something to note - this is not an easy property to get to, but its remoteness does add to its charm and tranquility. We flew into San Francisco from Denver and then drove the approximately 160 miles, which took about 4 hours. Be prepared for an arduous drive with winding, narrow roads. It is worth it once you arrive, particularly if you can stay more than a couple of nights and/or if you don't have to fly somewhere before or after -- but something to be aware of if you or your traveling companions don't do well in the car.

Once the drive is behind you, everything is positively lovely. The property is breathtakingly beautiful, and the smells are intoxicating -- rain, sea, forest, flowers, wood-burning fireplaces, food cooking in the restaurant. Everything about this place is inviting and comforting. Much of the time it felt as if we had the entire property to ourselves. Supremely peaceful.

Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. Great service from check-in to dining to canoe rental to room service to check-out.

Our room (219) was on the upper floor of the Big River building. We had an amazing view of the garden, the horses/donkeys/llamas, and the ocean. Plenty of space, huge private deck, comfy bed, and a wood-burning fireplace (which they loaded up with fresh kindling and wood every day for us). Convenient access to our parked car and the pool area, and connected via covered walkway to the lobby and restaurant. Also, they leave wonderful chocolate chip cookies in your room every afternoon. Perfect.

The food at The Ravens restaurant was delightful. They grow a lot of the food on-site, so it is very fresh. The (complimentary) breakfast menu had a lot of variety, and everything we had was quite tasty. We especially enjoyed the Stanford Ranchero. The dinner menu is a bit limited, but the available selections are fresh and delicious. The winter ravioli was outstanding, and the pecan torte might be the best dessert we've ever had anywhere. Also -- they do "tea time" in the lobby every afternoon, which includes complimentary tea and a yummy dessert. We had a berry crisp and a pear cake that were both great. They do not serve lunch, but between the large breakfast and dinner portions, the generous tea time snacks, and the afternoon cookies, we found that we did not need it. If you do get hungry, there are some decent dining options just up the road in Mendocino.

If you can tear yourself away from the ultra-cozy lobby and/or your room, there is a place on the property to rent bikes and canoes. Bikes are free to rent and a good way to pop into the town of Mendocino or enjoy some of the nearby trails (as long as you don't mind some pretty intense hills!). We paid $28 per person to rent a canoe on Big River for 3 hours, and that was well worth it. The river is beautiful and we even saw a couple of harbor seals sunning on a fallen tree! Beautiful.

All in all one of the most relaxing, restorative places we have ever visited and a great value to boot. A great place to go and be active, or do nothing for a few days. So happy we chose it.

Room Tip: Room 219 was great - convenient location and amazing views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karmavore0309
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
What a delightful review - thank you! With each guest, our goal is to not just provide a room - but to provide an entire experience of the Inn and surrounding areas. We look forward to seeing you back here someday, and thank you again for the wonderful words!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We spent four nights at the Stanford Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Though not inexpensive, the amenities, gourmet breakfasts, free firewood, happy hour treats and ready access to the solarium that hosts a salt water pool, hot tub and sauna, made it an excellent value. We were so delighted and will most definitely return again one day!

Room Tip: Our petite queen on the top floor in the middle of the River Bldg was fantastic. I am not sure there...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Great photo Rebecca, and thank you for the great review! So glad you were able to unwind and able to enjoy everything here. We look forward to seeing you next time...
Chico, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I would like to begin this review by stating I have stayed here before and was amazed by my experience. That said; my second attempt to reserve a room did not have a positive outcome! On 2/25/14, I called to make a reservation for the dates of 5/24/14 through the 26th. I spoke with a very scattered Ann on the phone who initially found my return information and said the room we had stayed in prior was available. She seemed a little lost in her organization, but no big deal. She took all my information again, including my credit card information and confirmed that I had a reservation for the two night stay. We discussed the $45 pet fee and the fact that this was a special event for my spouse's birthday. Reservation confirmed. I received the confirmation, signed by Joan and Jeff Stanford, welcoming me as a return guest and thanking me for my upcoming stay.
I called and informed my spouse that we had our reservation and had just looked up the number again to make reservations for spa treatments when Ann called back to inform me that I could not stay at the hotel because it was a holiday weekend and they had a 3 night stay min for that weekend. But my reservation was confirmed? They had already ran my credit card? She agreed that the reservation was made but she had to cancel it?! Have you ever heard of this before? I have stayed at numerous First Class hotels and this has never happened before, nor would I imagine it to. I asked to speak with a manager and she said one was not on site.
I hung up miffed. After thinking about this for a while, I called back and again spoke with Ann, saying it was just too odd to have received a confirmation and then receive her call. She informed me she was presently speaking with her manager and that she needed to get off the phone so that her manager could call me.
After an hour and half of not hearing from the manager, I called back, thinking with all this hassle; who knew if the number they had was correct. Ann, let me speak with her manager Jill, who basically said...the room was canceled because of the 3 night minimum. I asked, isn't that bad business to confirm, charge a credit card and then call to say, "Oh sorry, we made a mistake?" She then accused me of harassing because I had called more than once?! No offense, Jill, but this is not how one does business...the charge is STILL on my card. You offered no kindness at all. I was not staying in one of your least expensive rooms! I was not staying a SINGLE night which is customary, but TWO! In a location that is four hours at least from most people, you don't have your receptionist say, "Can't you stay Monday night?!" We work!! We would be getting off work at 6pm and then driving to Mendocino arriving after midnight if we were to stay Friday night and I am certain the hotel would not be open to accommodate us at that hour. If we stayed Monday night we would have to miss work on Tuesday!
Again, this could have been eliminated had everyone been informed prior to reservation confirmation! It could have been dealt with as an oops, and once the reservation was made and confirmed, letting it ride and not calling and canceling in such an inappropriate negative business manner.
As a business owner myself, I know that return customers are what make a business thrive. They are the butter to your bread! Your hotel is one of the nicest in the area but with these policies and service I certainly don't feel the love. We will no be returning and that's a shame, we enjoyed you. If I can't believe a confirmation and you charge my card...

20 Thank ccinchico
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Negative reviews are at times spurious, and at times valid, pointing out something we could do better. Other times they are a thundering tantrum when somebody does not get what they want. In order to run the inn we need to have minimum stays in place - otherwise rates would have to go up. This issue is about a minimum stay. But the real issue is that we do not want give energy to such reviews and we intend to no longer feed them by replying.

We are writing here to make this statement and to promise that we will address legitimate issues; ones we hope are brought to our attention when a guest encounters them here. Even a note dropped off on the desk unsigned will be attended to. We haven't had one, but the point is that we don't want to get in the way for guests to have meaningful experiences here. There is an energy here, something special, and we do our best to stay out of the way for people to experience it. We have and we do experience this as well. It's wonderful. Lastly, we won't have our staff abused - and when we arrived yesterday morning we found a nervous and upset concierge who had been put through the ringer, compliments of the reviewer.
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here on the first stop of our 'tofu trail' exploration of vegan and vegetarian restaurants between SF and Seattle. The inn was very comfortable, service and welcome was great. Indoor pool and sauna were a great surprise and really delightful as was the in room fireplace. If you are looking for waves crashing mendocino experience this probably isn't the spot but we did have views of the water and the lovely gardens and there was no road noise. Food at the restaurant was flavorful and thoughtful but portions were so big it was almost unappetizing. Service was a bit random as well. There is river access from the hotel property with rental kayaks or BYO and the town of mendocino is quite close by (although not walkable unless you want to stroll along Hwy1). We would return for the lodging but not for the food.

Room Tip: there are two 'wings' - it was a bit confusing when I booked because it sounded like I was c...
1 Thank MDS-CA
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future, and wish you the best!
Bodega Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our favorite peaceful place to relax. Indoor pool in a garden room is inviting. We spent many happy hours there. The Inn is near beautiful Mendocino and the ocean which we could view from various places. We enjoyed walks and meditative stops throughout the gardens and along the bluffs. The room interior made me wish I could stay a long time. For once I was not in a hurry to leave my room and go elsewhere. Being vegans, we found the food impressive, enjoyed all our meals there and afternoon tea. There is a wonderful shop that is part of the lobby with great choice of books and creative items. We had great service and the owners are very nice.

Room Tip: Fireplace and deck are great, upstairs, closer to lodge
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you so much - what a pleasure to read this! We hope to welcome you back again soon, and wish you two the very best in the New Year. Until next time...
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here with our dog this last weekend, and loved the Stanford Inn. All staff were friendly and accommodating; our pup loved the place; the food was excellent at the restaurant; and the rooms were lovely. Thumbs up; we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in 208 which was lovely for being with a pup since it was on the ground floor, and had ni...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uhanska
Thank you very much for the lovely review! Glad to hear that everything was enjoyed, by all. Look forward to seeing you again and wish you well in the New Year. All our best!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Stanford Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!