“Another beautiful inn from the Blue Door Group”
Review of Packard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Packard House
Ranked #11 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great breakfasts, amazing rooms, sheets from Neiman Marcus...must be a Blue Door inn. Seriously well-done. With many rooms at three inns in the villages, there's something for a variety of price points. The innkeeper is flexible with arrival times and communicates well with guests. Be on time for breakfast, though! ;)

We stayed in Garden Court for a week. Great room with a bottle of wine and hand-written welcome card waiting for us when we arrived. Breakfast in bed option was much appreciated after we were scolded for being 5 minutes late one morning to the breakfast table ;)

Btw, is the Blue Door Inn the new Heritage House? I know they don't serve dinner and it's in the village, but really. The place is gorgeous.

Room Tip: Each room is beautiful!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spend 2 wonderful nights at the Packard House. It is a quaint, old house with modern touches in the interior. It was very clean and the Pacific View room was a nice size. The breakfasts were fantastic. Jaz was our chef. His Scottish brogue was bait hard to understand at first, but we soon tuned our ears correctly. He told some wonderful stories and prepared great meals. If in the area consider staying here. You will not be disappointed. He had excellent recommendations for dinners. Wine and appetizers at 4pm were a nice touch.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BEN P
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Some B&B's are just old and lack modern comforts, or just feel worn and dirty. Not the case with the Packard House, as the rooms could have been pictured in a Pottery Barn catalog. I traveled solo and stayed in the Chapman Point room (2nd floor) which was very comfortable, but had I been traveling with a 2nd person, I would have felt cramped in my room. Plus, if you’re taller than 5’10” the slanted roof could be an issue. The room had distant views of the ocean, which you could see when sitting in bed. The room interior was nice and clean, but had some stains on the rug and robes and tears on the fabric of the chair. Also, the room does not have heat or air conditioning. In the winter, this was resolved with a gas fireplace in and an electric heater in the bathroom. In the summer, I believe the winds off the ocean would keep the room cool, but I wouldn’t want to find out! Nothing serious, but keeps my rating from being 5 stars.
Room amenities were solid. From Kiels' products, Kashwere robes and whirlpool in bathroom to down covers, 500 count sheets, Bose radio/iPod station and Voss water in the bedroom; they clearly are targeting a more upscale traveler. There’s also an older 20” TV and DVD player located in an armoire. There is no telephone in the room, but my Verizon cell service worked fine. Wireless was provided free of charge.
Breakfast is served at 9am, and coffee and tea are available starting at 8am. There are no exceptions, so if you’re an early riser or a late sleeper, this could be a problem for you. The breakfast was outstanding and one of the highlights of this property. They also serve wine, cheese and light snacks from 4 – 6pm in the sitting rooms (with fireplaces and music playing in the background) and I found this a nice way to get to know the other guests and learn about activities to try the next day. Both the food and wine exceeded my expectations.
Service at the Packard House was very good. The inn keeper, Jaz, was friendly and helpful and engaged in conversation and helped set the tone with the guests. He made great recommendations for food and sightseeing, which helped make the trip even nicer.
The Packard House is two blocks from Mendocino's main shopping and dining area, so you can easily walk everywhere. It is also near the Mendocino Headland State park, where you can hike, walk, run and enjoy beautiful sunsets.
I viewed three other properties while visiting Mendocino and all had many of the same issues I mentioned, PLUS a much more worn atmosphere. Despite my honest assessment of some of the minor issues, I would recommend the Packard House and would certainly come back and stay again.

Room Tip: Request a room on second floor or in the guest house
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a nice modernly decorated B&B without a single doily in sight -- I found that great! We stayed for 2 nights this fall. It is 2 blocks from Mendocino's main street, so you can easily walk everywhere, including the Headand's state park.
The room interior was nice, but not 100% perfect, such as some light stains on the rug (nothing serious) and chips in the bathroom. TV is a bit small, but there is a DVD player. I don't recall a phone (cell service in Mendocino is spotty if you have Sprint). The breakfast was delicious and service very friendly. They also offered wine and light snacks in the evening. The common areas include 2 living rooms, each with a fire place.
Overall, it's hard to go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Village View" which is on the bottom floor off of a common area. I was...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wawdam
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were a bit disappointed with this B&B. We stayed in the Garden "Cottage" which is one of the two most expensive rooms in the Inn. The room, while large, did not have a cocktail table, so sharing a bottle of wine was a bit difficult. The curtains were shabby, the tub and toilet seat were in need of paint and the toilet had to be handled with utmost care or it wouldn't flush.
Amenities were sparse and only two towels were provided that had seen better days.
Most surprising of all, however, was that we were not given the 'option' of having a hot breakfast in the dining room. We were provided with a very nice basket of breads and fruit, but this would not have been our choice and, indeed, was a bit misleading on their web site. There is no "porch", just a narrow walkway to the private street entrance. The stone patio looked out the backyard in plain view of the other rooms, affording no privacy. While conveniently located to the Mendocino Art Center, the value was not worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My (now) fiance and I stayed only one night here in the ocean view front room and were delighted. Exceptionally clean and modern with luxurious touches abound. The bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the fireplace and 2-person whirlpool tub. Innkeepers are very friendly and helpful, but will also give you privacy should you want. We had breakfast brought to the room and it was beyond delicious. Great stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Business pleasure trip only allowed for a one night stay but it was all worthwhile. Fantastic inn keepers, a wonderful wine greeting and a fabulous breakfast basket. We enjoyed our brief stay and plan on a longer return visit. I could say more but I would just be repeating all the wonderful things other guests have enjoyed here as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business