“Disappointed with food”

Trillium Cafe
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Trillium is a restaurant and inn. We think of ourselves as casual fine dining, with indoor and outdoor dining, weather permitting. We focus on serving fresh, seasonal, organic California cuisine. We try to source as many things locally as possible. Local, wild caught fish, grass fed meats, organic veggies. We have a small, 3 room B & B above the Restaurant with cute rooms with ocean views, and breakfast each morning.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The place is small and thank goodness I saw a table for 2 next to awindow in the main dining area and asked the hostess to seat us there. Otherwise, she was going to sit us in the very cramped extention area of the restaurant. My boyfriend and I both ordered the Covelo Ranch Pork Loin and were both disappointed. The pork loin was dry and over cooked. It was bland and did not have any flavor. The hostess and our server were very nice and friendly. Maybe we'll give this place another chance and come back again to try other dishes when we're back in Mendocino.

3  Thank ToniLuvsScuba

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Nice atmosphere, but tables were very close together so I couldn't really stretch out. I had to ask where our cheese plate was as it took 15 minutes to get it. How long does it take to slice some cheese? Chicken main course was inventive, but it lacked flavor. Fettuccine with cheese and chicken was really good. Pretzel bread was good. Salads were done well. Not a lot of choices for quality food in town or nearby, but hard to recommend.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were sad to see the Mousse Cafe go but....Trillium is SO AWESOME!!!! Hubby and I dined here for an early dinner on the Tuesday just after the Memorial Day weekend and these people were still happy and smiling and friendly after being swamped I am sure all weekend and having only been open for 2 months. Food was SUPER GOOD. We had the flatbread with pesto and baby arugula and mozzarella - it was outstanding. Also enjoyed the giant breadsticks and the wonderful "cole slaw" type of salad they bring complimentary which was also SUPER GOOD. I had the chard rollups vegetarian plate which was SUPER GOOD and hubby had the pork with bean side and it was yep, you guessed it, SUPER GOOD. Dessert was a gluten free kahlua cheesecake that was large in portion and would easily serve 2 people. Like I said, don't miss this restaurant when you are in Mendocino and call and get a reservation if its for dinner on a weekend because you will likely need it.

1  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We almost didn't go because we read negative reviews about the service. But our experience was excellent -- the manager/owner/waiter was as nice as could be and the food was interesting, well-prepared and fairly priced for the area. Our table had a nice view of the garden and the sea beyond.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Wonderful dining experience Memorial Holiday weekend. Warm, welcoming, friendly service. Over the course of our Saturday evening meal, 5 staffers seamlessly assisted in the process. My salmon with pistachio pesto was simply superb. And I am fussy about salmon. The only negative was the tasty, but overcooked, homemade pasta with my spouse's rabbit ragout. Dessert was fine. Great wine list, good glass and 375 ml options. Fresh, clean decor. Feels like an improvement over Moose -- which was great. Big thumbs up for the staff -- they came through even on a very busy night.

3  Thank Patrick S