“Cute Place, Great Location”

Sea Gull Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed the Mendocino area for the first time at the end of October 2011, and we will definitely be back. The drive was awful (from the San Francisco Bay Area), but it was soon forgotten after our arrival. Since we were late, we didn't meet the innkeeper until the next morning (she was quite gracious when we did meet her), but she left us advice about where to eat dinner and it was merely a walk next door. We had a great meal at the Mendocino Cafe!

Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I don't always sleep well when I'm away from home but I had no problem with the comfort of the king size bed we had! It was a bit too perfumy for us, but we kept the windows cracked open when we were in the room, and even opened the door for a while to air it out. It's an older place, and the floor isn't level, but that's how old buildings are sometimes and I wasn't bothered by that. The bathroom is very small, and the shower is tiny, and I was surprised there was no blind for the window (I could see up to another place's window on their 2nd floor, so I'm assuming they could look down and see me if I wasn't careful!). They don't list amenities so I will report here that they DO provide a hair dryer.

Do take time to walk around the building; the flowers are beautiful!

I read a review where someone complained about no TV. Who NEEDS one?! We went there to escape noise and having no TV was just fine by us!

The breakfasts were lovely. Hearty proportions ... more than I could finish, really! Breakfasts are brought to your room, so it doesn't have the feel of a typical B&B, and there's no indoor sitting area where people congregate, nor is there the early evening wine or tea serving that I'm used to, but perhaps that's not typical in the town of Mendocino (?).

Reviewed November 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Sea Gull Inn Oct. 28th-30th 2011. The first night was scheduled online and our room was The Shed. The Shed is the smallest room that we had ever stayed in and proved to be a bit claustrophobic for me. The bed was not very comfortable, the heater was adequate but a bit noisy. The restaurant next door had a kitchen exhaust fan going into the night that was noisy also. The sink in the bathroom was loose although quite adequate. The repairs and remodeling that had been done were adequate as well but some of the techniques used were poor and the results less than pretty. The one night that we stayed in this room, there was the smell of skunk in the room which turned out to be something that they had already known about and continued to rent anyway. The website advertises WiFi available in all rooms however it was not available in ours nor was it available in The Barn, the office,and a few other rooms. One guest told me that they were able to use a signal from the pizza place next door.
The second night we were upgraded to the Driftwood Room because of the smell and WiFi issues. The Driftwood was a much nicer room and we were able to get a WiFi signal there and couldn't smell the skunk. My other issue was the fact that there is no community area for people to gather and visit or ?
The best part of our stay was meeting Sandy, she was a joy to meet and deal with and is a real professional in this hospitality business. To be fair I must add that the grounds including the flowers there were beautiful. We also enjoyed the Breakfast in our room consisting of fresh baked goods hot from the oven, orange juice, yogurt, coffee, fresh fruit, etc. Not sure that we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Check out the Barn.
1  Thank CulinaryCary
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Was thrilled to get a cancellation to stay here over the weekend as had fallen in love with Mendocino however I would rate the Seagull as just OK – it doesn’t compare with the Headland where we stayed the previous night.

The room itself (Driftwood) was beautifully decorated with a comfortable bed, a fire (not wood burning but very effective) & a (very small) tub in the bathroom. However it was noisy, I’m not sure whether it was the inn’s tumble dryers or an extractor fan from the local cafe but the noise started at 8am and went on all day. Not very relaxing.

Breakfast was adequate certainly not generous (with dreadful coffee) served in the room as the weather was not nice enough to eat outside. Having stayed in other inns during the trip we were hoping for similar little touches that all of the others provided such as tea/coffee throughout the day, cookies and hors d’oeuvre but no such luck. Not a very friendly place.

1  Thank AJ_5555
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Traveled throughout NorCal in August 2011 with some (adult) family members, and spent two nights in Mendocino at the Sea Gull Inn. My mother and I shared the Geranium Room - so delightfully quiet, I slept like a baby! I loved how the door to the room opened to the backyard garden. The room itself was perfect for two independent adults, and gave us enough room not to trip over ourselves. There were some drawbacks associated with a place built in the 1800's but the charm overules. However, the wardrobe could have used more than two hangers, and the bathroom a couple of towel racks or hooks. But these things are minor, and I definitely would stay here again! Breakfast is terrific, with a good variety of foods, and brought right to the room.

Room Tip: Even ground floor rooms are wonderfully quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The shed room is small but cozy and clean, very nice. Breakfast served in the room is very good.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was a wonderful stay. We had a room with an incredibly comfy king bed and a little gas fire place, great for a cold day. At night, we could hear the ocean. Everything was clean and new in the room. The breakfast was a nice treat of organic fruit, some juice, yogurt and a home-baked muffin. The muffin was a little heavy on sugar, but that's a personal preference. The only inconvenience was hearing the fan from a nearby restaurant, but that went off by about 10:30 pm. I truly hope to go back!

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Mendocino is a historically preserved town, populated with art shops, upscale food, a scattering of bake-heads trying to walk and a host of B&Bs each trying to out "cute" the other. Sea Gull Inn does a brisk business here but keeps things personal and friendly. The inn keepers do their best to give you a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Each room is different, review which one you might like but book early.