“This place is not clean! Avoid!”

Nicholson House Inn
Ranked #23 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This place is not clean! Avoid!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first trip to Mendocino. At fist when we got to the Nicholson House Inn it looked as we were in the middle of nowhere. However, it is really close and walking distance to everything. On another note, Mendocino is so small that everything is close. Even Fort Bragg is about 8 miles away. Here is what we found:

Good:
Proximity to everything
Common table at breakfast creates nice atmosphere
Good breakfast. Breakfast consisted of: Cold meats with hard salami, ham and two types of cheeses; hard boiled eggs; apple and orange juice; coffee and espresso; butter, sour cream and three types of jam; several types of cereals; bagels, two types of bread, freshly baked muffins and scones, yogurt; fresh fruits (apples, strawberries, blueberries grapes)
Manager was friendly and informative
Bed was very high, old fashioned and the linen looked and smelled clean. Nice and comfortable.

BAD:
The place would look much better with a minimal investment of cleaning it up, painting the stairs and deck, clean up the sofa and either paint or buy new coffee tables/TV unit.
There are plastic flowers all over collecting dust. What is that all about?

REALLY BAD:
It is not clean, period. I am posting several photos to show. The worst is that the dishes in the suite were not washed (see photo). This made us suspicious about whether the towels were actually washed to the point that we abstained from showering which is fine for one bight but..
I never encountered anything like this in my travels and it needs urgent attention by the owners/manager.

We would not go back to this B&B and it actually made me much more cautious about booking any B&B as opposed to hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Good
- Walking distance from Mendocino downtown
- Very comfortable (nice beds)
- Nice entertainment area

The Bad
- Breakfast is cold and so so
- Not much of a view, but then again, we were in the grandma suite.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Grandma Suite - and it was fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Max M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Nicholson House Inn this past weekend. We were in one of the newest rooms (The Russian Rose room) and it was quite comfortable and clean. The location is right off Highway 1 and a quick walk to food and shopping. We did not get a chance to meet the innkeeper but when I did speak to him on the phone about getting our room key, he was very nice and accommodating. My only issue was that there was little sound protection - we could hear the guy snoring in the room next door. We also didn't get breakfast in the morning so we had to go to one of the cafes in town, so I can't rate the quality of the food. Overall, we would definitely come back here on another trip to Mendocino.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, ID
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Although the photos look great, the reality of the Nicholson House is somewhat lacking. The junior suite was booked and the sofa bed in the living room was so uncomfortable the first night that it was never opened again - more comfortable to sleep on the sofa, which we certainly didn't find to be a great value. The bed in the bedroom was soft and uncomfortable. The kitchenette really offered nothing other than a small fridge. The maid service consisted of changing the towels.
Breakfast was cold cereals (you must request milk), semi soft/hard boiled eggs, rolled cold cuts, breads, bagels and some freshly baked rolls or scones. The atmosphere of the breakfast room might be better if we didn't feel as the manager wanted us to leave. I don't feel we really got any value for the room and will be changing hotels on our next trip to Mendocino.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I can't rate the Inn because I never got beyond trying to make a reservation. The Inn looks beautiful online and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from considering a stay there.
My problem was with the Innkeeper, Brent. I E-MAILED him to inquire about a room for January. He PHONED our house to reply. I'm sure I am among thousands of people who book lodging as a surprise to a family member or friend. So much for THIS surprise. I was out when Brent phoned and my husband answered the phone. When I returned home, he said "were you booking lodging in Mendocino?" I said, "well, I had planned to but how did you know about it?" He told me that Brent had called. Though my surprise for my husband was eliminated, my hope is that Brent has now learned that if someone e-mails about reserving a room, it's probably not a good idea to phone the home unless the prospective guest asks for a call. Otherwise, people have their surprise get-aways crushed. I did give Brent feedback about this, and asked if we could have a discount on the room because his phone call ruined the surprise. His reply was: Our rates have already been reduced.sorry about the surprise.
Well, the rates were reduced because it is low season. I didn't feel he was all that sorry. As I said, I just hoped that for Brent it was a lesson learned.

Room Tip: We were going to stay in the Whale Room which has a view. All of their rooms look lovely and I'...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Norton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you're looking for anything other than a unique inn experience, go somewhere else. There's no in-room coffee, TV, room service or Junior Suite. It's a remodeled 6-bedroom inn with theme decor. It's not on the water and you really can't see the ocean from the rooms, so get outside. It's an easy two block walk to all the stores and neat coffee shops. However, two really good restaurants are actually next to the Nicholson House Inn, Cafe Beaujolais and the 955 Ukiah Street Restaurant. Breakfast was a nice surprise. Not only do you eat at one big table so that you can meet your other travelers, but the food was European and American--sliced meats, cheeses, muffins, hard boiled eggs, bagels, fruit, yogurts, cereals, and the best homemade scones ever.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms #3 or #4. They're on the second floor and face the street--all good except on Frid...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JumpinJimbo47
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A very attractive B&B, this is a house converted to bedroom accommodation. Our booking was replied to with a lot of information about the house, the room etc, very much individual attention. The room was fairly small but well appointed. There was no T.V. in the room but there was a guest lounge, however it only had seating for about 4 people, there were at least 8 the night we stayed there. Not too much a problem for one overnight stay but it would be more limiting for a longer stay.
The breakfast was a very high quality European style continental breakfast with a huge variety of breads, meat, chees, preserves, cereal and as much fresh fruit as a small market.. All guests breakfast at a communal table which made for a very friendly breakfast experience. Our first experience of a US B&B. Very pleasant for an overnight but I would not choose it for a longer stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple