“Good view, not much else to say for it”

Flow Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #7 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Epic view of the Pacific and Mendocino Bay. Deck and bay window views. Fresh, local, organic cuisine, skillfully blended by chef Matt Samuelson. Whale watching from our second-story view, December through May. Beautiful sunsets most evenings. A great place place to drink, dine and watch the sea and sky float by. Full bar with local wines, beers and specialty drinks. House-made breads and desserts. Kid's menus and drinks. Please be our guest. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We were intrigued by the idea of small plate dinners at Flow. The idea is the prices are low ($12- $18 a plate) so you can order several and share. We ordered Cider-marinated grill chicken skewers ($12), Pan seared local rock cod ($16), and chanterelle risotto that we said we would share. We were then told there would be an additional $3.50 shared plate charge. Seriously! Wasn't the idea to share plates? The grilled chicken skewers were a huge disappointment. The skewers were 3 small (and I mean small)bites of chicken--one bite on each skewer. Nothing to share there. I am not sure if the chicken lacked flavor or if it did not compliment the seasoning and blend with the radish-apple salad that was on the plate. The salad was incredible! I could have made a meal of that. The pan seared cod was delicious and, while a very small portion, it was more substantial than the chicken. The risotto was a disappointed. It was too soupy...the chef did not allow the time to absorb the moisture. It was tender, but not swollen and plump. The view was perhaps the best part of the dinner. We were able to sit with a glass of wine and watch the sunset. As it got dark, there was a spotlight (track light) shining right in my eyes. We told the waiter, but nothing was done. As I was holding my hand up to block the light, a young lady came by and asked if it was bothering me and got a chair and changed the direction of the light. For dessert we ordered gelato. We were brought sorbet. We told the waiter, and he said they had plated the wrong dessert; however, nothing was done--there was not an attempt to fix the problem or remove it from the bill. I would probably go for a glass of wine and relax, but do dinner elsewhere.

2  Thank calota

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We ate there for breakfast. The restaurant looked inviting, We where seated on the balcony with great views of the Pacific. Now I now this restaurant just opened a few weeks before but I was told the owner has another restaurant around the corner. That being said, you would think that they would train their servers before they would open. Well, I think they just hired someone off the street. Our server had no clue! The food was good, but with lousy service it downgraded the whole experience.
I would wait about 4 to 6 months before I would try it again to see if they have their act together.

2  Thank YBIInnkeeper
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Breakfast there is fantastic, as it always has been. Rumors are, the quality has gone up exponentially from the restaurant that proceeded.

Drinks? Probably a different story.

The bland white and the stark dankness of night leave you feeling stunned. No art on the walls, and little tiny tea lights on the table are the only ambience.

Plating- Teeeeeeeny tiny.

Beers? Sure, not on the menu, you kinda have to do your own sleuthing to find it.

However, having an excellent, reasonably priced spot to eat after 8:30 is hard to come by in Mendocino....unless you want to be squeezed into Pattersons (whose food quality is questionable).

These guys are just getting on their feet, so I feel this spot is going to be leagues better in about 6 months. Give them a break, they are trying something new and I think its a wonderful new addition to a town fully of pricey dinner spots that close at 9pm.

Breakfast + A romantic spot to get a late night drink and tapas = Flow is here to stay....and we're happy for it!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Told by most every business to try out this second story restaurant if , for nothing else, the view from the balcony. That was the best part. We actually waited and watched 3 people clear of 1 table for us. That should have been enough of a clue to get on down the road. Our brunch order from the menu took an hour. My meal was prepared wrong. My wife went shopping while I waited for another hour to be served. They were so embarrassed by our long ordeal , they comped our meals. I hope they get there act together because this place could be amazing. I am wondering if there are hookahs in the break room?

1  Thank BigDogCA2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Good service but poor food. Portions tiny. Ordered the cod and got a piece about the size of a small spoon along with a few mangy fries hand enough to crack your teeth. Terrible value. Avoid. Go and get a bagel from the supermarket instead.

1  Thank John B