“Horrible meal”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
California
“Horrible meal”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My husband and I ordered the caesar salad which was good but the main entree' of chuck steak cut up in to bite sized pieces and encased in a Viennese pastry was absolutely horrible...........no taste! The waiter looked like Mel Gibson and was extremely friendly and very nice. We ended up going next door to Cafe' Beujolais for our dessert and a cup of coffee. We will never go back to 955 St. Restuarant.

1 Thank terriCalifornia

Colorado
“Keep coming back!”
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We've been to Mendocino about eight times and each trip 955 is on our list of restaurants to eat at. Very good that never disappoints!

2 Thank DaveColorado
Mill Valley, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Perfect Dining Experience !”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding dinner at Ukiah 955 when we got married in Mendocino 17 years ago. We always considered it "our" special restaurant with lots of fond memories. But since we had not been back to Mendocino in 2 years, we did not know what to expect, especially since not all of the Trip Advisor Reviews in the past had been positive.
I made our reservation 2 days before our March 28 anniversary over the phone and was able to book "our" little table in the window with the help of the friendly owner. What a surprise to see a cute little metallic confetty arrangement on the tabletop with the "Happy Anniversary" logo surrounded by tiny hearts, doves and roses! Shannan, our waitress was extremely attentive. She kept checking our candle, and even took a picture of us, which she printed out and presented us with by the end of the meal. (My husband had forgotten the camera). The food was outstanding! We shared a wilted greens salad, my husband had the flatiron steak, and I had the mixed seafood special over fettucine.
For desert I ordered "my" favorite, the blackberry-hazelnut ice-cream, my husband had the divine cheesecake. Again, a special touch: Shannan had put a burning candle into each desert so that we could make a wish.
All in all it was a magic evening way beyond our expectations. A big Thank You to Peg and Jamie (the owners) and to Shannan and the rest of the staff!
By the way, the restaurant is closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and is only open in the evening starting at 6.00 pm. If you like to eat early, this is probably the best time because it is still bright outside and you can enjoy the beautiful garden view as well as a faint sunset glow outside, and the place is still relative empty until about 7.00 pm. Then it fills up quickly to the last chair. So a prior reservation is a must.

Guna & Eddie Kramer, Mill Valley, CA

1 Thank GunaK
San Jose, California
“Its A Must”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Our experience at this restaurant was wonderful! When we walked inside the restaurant from the freezing weather outside, a very friendly woman greeted us. Even though it was busy and we did not have reservations they were kind enough to seat us. The atmosphere was very pleasant even with the diner rush going on. To start we shared the best Caesar salad I have ever had in my life, a tasty calamari appetizer, and uniquely delicious soup of the day. Then for the main course I had a very tender, perfectly cooked filet mignon served with an amazing twice-baked potato and vegetables. Of course I had to try some of my friends equally delicious meals, being the seafood menagerie and crispy duck. With our meals we got to enjoy a verity of wonderful local wines. At the end of this great meal we were stuffed! The portions defiantly fill you up but we had to get desert to go for when our stomachs opened up. Hours later we enjoyed fabulous deserts at our hotel. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone!!!

1 Thank OneLove29
Greenbrae
“Had read some good reviews but I didn't like it so much.”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We were there the day after Valentine's day. We didn't have a reservation. We were going to go to Beaujolais but I didn't think we could get a table without a reservation. I had the calamari appetizer and my fellow had the house salad. The description of the calamari sounded so good. It consisted of my favorite things--cilantro, tomatillos, peppers. I should have asked what kind of peppers as they were the bland red and green bell peppers which made this appetizer taste like something an amateur would think of putting together. It was very disappointing to find so many of the bland peppers in this dish. It made for an odd appetizer. Other diners were asked if they wanted pepper on their salads but my fellow wasn't asked. I ordered the pork chop and my fellow ordered the duck. The cheese in mine tasted stronger than Provolone. My fellow didn't like his duck. We didn't order dessert. When we received the check, we were charged for a glass of wine that we didn't have or even ordered. Odd. Won't be going there again. Thought it was average.