“Had read some good reviews but I didn't like it so much.”

The 955 Ukiah Street Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Greenbrae
“Had read some good reviews but I didn't like it so much.”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We were there the day after Valentine's day. We didn't have a reservation. We were going to go to Beaujolais but I didn't think we could get a table without a reservation. I had the calamari appetizer and my fellow had the house salad. The description of the calamari sounded so good. It consisted of my favorite things--cilantro, tomatillos, peppers. I should have asked what kind of peppers as they were the bland red and green bell peppers which made this appetizer taste like something an amateur would think of putting together. It was very disappointing to find so many of the bland peppers in this dish. It made for an odd appetizer. Other diners were asked if they wanted pepper on their salads but my fellow wasn't asked. I ordered the pork chop and my fellow ordered the duck. The cheese in mine tasted stronger than Provolone. My fellow didn't like his duck. We didn't order dessert. When we received the check, we were charged for a glass of wine that we didn't have or even ordered. Odd. Won't be going there again. Thought it was average.

Oroville, Ca
“Divine - everytime”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband made reservations here for our first visit several years ago to celebrate our Anniversary. We were treated like family from the moment we walked in the door. Because of their wonderful website he was able to reserve the exact table we wanted in advance which was a window table with a view of the beautiful garden. The Atmosphere was warm and inviting, the service fantastic and the meal divine. I had the stuffed pork chop and my husband had the Flat iron steak i think. When it came time to visit the area again for our now annual trip to this area (we stay at Little River Inn) we were very excited to visit this restaurant again. Upon entry we were greeted by the owner who remembered us from a single visit over a year ago and once again everything was perfect. We have visited several times over the years and enjoy it just as much. Although I crave a few items on their menu constantly, I wouldn't mind seeing it changed a little, both entrees and dessert options. I normally like to check out a restaurant's website before dining if possible and theirs is great for that. I would never visit an area outside of my hometown and expect to be shown to the best table in the house on my first visit as I saw someone else complain about not getting.

I think you will enjoy both your meal and the experience of this restaurant and become a fan just as we have.

1 Thank HappyCamper530
San Francisco
“Great Food at 955 Ukiah”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We just had dinner at this wonderful restaurant and would recommend it highly. The service and food were great!! We started with a simple salad and wonderful soup. We split the stuffed Pork Chop and the Seafood Pasta. Dessert was a homemade lemon cheesecake which was the best ever. This place even makes the delicious breadsticks and pasta from scratch. The funky/rustic/charming Mendocino atmosphere just added to the experience.

1 Thank ChrisSanFrancisco
San Jose, California
“Scored a triple: not quite a home run.”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We enjoyed the experience. We had tickets for the local theatre group, and booked an early reservation, so there were no problems seating or with the service.

The Caesar Salad appetizer was promising with the pine nuts and capers , but the sauce was not quite tart enough and we missed the anchovies. The Calamari appetizer, was a great hit (we almost ordered another). It was *not* breaded, and the jalepenos gave it a nice bite.

The Flat Iron Steaks were cooked as requested with a wonderful sauce, and our sole eater refused to share her dish. Perfection was marred by the pork chop being slightly overdone, although the stuffing was delicious.

Having oversugared ourselves in the afternoon between the local chocolate and ice cream shops, we passed on desserts.

sebastopol, ca
“Not the best... not the worst....”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We felt lucky to get into 955, as it was quite full and we arrived on a rainy Saturday night without reservations.

This place is very "Mendocino"... and we love that about it. Relaxed, funky, wood, earthy. Service was fine. Food was slow to come out, but it was a busy Saturday night.

Cesar salad ($9.50) seemed like a good choice and was recommended. Ho-hum. Drenched in a good-not-great dressing, teeny croutons, not enough cheese.

I had some really good soup-- but the bowl was scant and, I think, around $9.00 .

My husband had homemade ravioli which, he commented later, tasted like the canned sauce (in a good way, he said, it brought back his childhood !?? ...) and overall was just ok.
We shared a chocolate dessert which tasted like it had been in the 'fridge too long.

Not terrible, but not worthy of a precious vacation night meal.