Review of Cafe Beaujolais

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great food, sweet location in a garden just off the main drag. We enjoyed the nettle soup, crab cakes, lamb shank, and spinich-mushroom crepe.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Albeit, it was a Monday night, but if you're open and serving guests, a restaurant should put out at least a good service.

My wife and I experienced our first major culinary disappointment in this "left-of-Berkeley" bastion of locavores - Mendocino, CA. We've been escaping here for long weekends in this coastal paradise, 3 hours north of San Francisco for many years (some of the few East-Coasters that do so). A poor meal was bound to be on the horizon.

Most resto's here pride themselves on locally sourced, sustainable organic and fresh ingredients. We believed that Beaujolais was not an exception.

The menu in this tiny café was limited to 5 entrees. I chose the lamb shank, and my better half the filet. We opted for a vintage California Cab from the well-appointed wine list.

The appetizers were very good - a salad with fried goat cheese and a overly generous portion of a light-brothed bean soup.

The entrees were sub-par! The filet turned out to be two petit cuts that were not done to our request, the lamb shank was obviously re-heated from cold and of questionable vintage.

Presentation on all entrees was the same (we observed other tables' as well): a heaping clump of luke-warm mashed potatoes, overcooked (and I do mean OVERCOOKED) veggies on top, and the protein unceremoniously laid atop of that, with watery sauce (item-specific) ladled on top and a sprig of flat parsley to garnish.

We didn't finish this cafeteria-grade mish-mosh, did not order dessert or coffee.

The bill was high (we did order a really good wine) as the entrees were each in the high $30's.

The service was excellent, and we of course, did not punish the FOH staff for the kitchen's obvious shortcomings.

Maybe it's better on the weekends?

1  Thank RestEquipper
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Located in a lovely old home, the menu was simple but quite lovely. We had the duck and the chicken.
I would say the best rest. in town. Nice wine list. Try the beet salad, yummy

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This place is a tiny bit hard to find. It seems like it's in a converted home, a little bit away from the busy parts of Mendocino. I promise you that it's worth the effort to seek it out.

The food is just plain outstanding. If you're there for lunch, I strongly recommend the Bouillabaisse - it's simply fantastic. The service is impeccable. This is definitely a place that I'd go again, if I ever make my way back to Mendocino. You should make it a point to give this place a try. Did I mention that they bake their own bread, and that it's wonderful?

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Founded by Margaret Fox, who was once lionized by the New York Times "in the same breath" as their restaurant critics lionized Alice Waters, of famed Chez Panisse. Margaret is no longer the proprietor, but some of her magic is still there, kept alive by the dedication of the current staff.

Having owned a B&B in town since 1985, I've had many a meal at Beaujolais. At times the menu was different than it is now, but it's always good and the service has always been impeccable. They bake their own breads and serve fresh veg stables, from their garden when in season. Their pastry chef is great, if you can save the room.

I suppose its possible to have a disappointing experience anywhere, even at Beaujolais, but I've never had one in perhaps 100 visits. Even though it's currently rated number one in the area, I was shocked by the review headed "average at best." (What do they consider above average, a Michelin 3 Star in Cap Ferrat? The Palace Hotel in St Moritz?) It may or may not be a contender for being the best restaurant in America, but on any given night it's sure hard to beat in all categories.

They were once lauded by the NYT as having the "best breakfast in America" and Margret Fox's excellent book on same, though out of print, can still be found. Sadly, they no longer serve breakfast everyday, though they do have weekend brunch that's really great. In a nod to that legacy, the current owner has a granola company that produces a high quality product that's distributed widely in Northern California

The current wine list is one of the best they've had, with a good emphasis on local wines. The outstanding Roederer special vintage sparkling wine (aka champagne) and the Goldeneye Pinot are great and from the Anderson Valley.

Beaujolais is highly recommended for a special and leisurely (though not inexpensive) meal out when visiting the northern coast. During the season be sure to book well in advance, preferably when you are booking your B&B.

2  Thank Dane94306