“Warm and Friendly Atmosphere and Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Beaujolais

Cafe Beaujolais
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dyer, Indiana
“Warm and Friendly Atmosphere and Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I had a well served and beautifully presented meal with a good bottle of a local pinot noir. ( Navarro Vineyards Anderson Valley).We began with splitting an appetizer of dungeness crab cakes. Fresh, hot and so tasty. She hadPetaluma Duck 2 ways( crispy skin breast and leg de confit) She is very picky when it comes to duck . Here the only picking was at the bones when she was through. I had a wonderful halibut dish that was really fresh and served with a great sauce.WE then indulged ourselves in chocolate lava cake. ( This can be something that one can have to often but this execution was exceptional.

• Visited September 2013

“Small and intimate...great selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We both had appies since we weren't terribly hungry..gaspacho was wonderful and plentiful..beet salad the same . Steak tartar very tasty but stingy...esp for price but pate great. Too many restaurants have passed to remember the wine...but...a charming experience...Service was exceptional...I called for ressies but lost cell phone contact. In spite of that, we wete seated when we arrived...and graciously.

• Visited October 2013
Sacramento, California
“16 tables of solid dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

You feast with your eyes first; this is very true at this little place. Intimate dining; slightly too loud for senior sensibilities, but worth a visit--or two.

Be sure to make reservations.

Amelia Island, FL
“Clueless Disorganization Served at Café Beaujolais”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a disorganized disaster from beginning to end. For $150 for dinner for two, I expect pleasant friendly service and special occasion-type cuisine. Unfortunately, we didn’t get either.

When we arrived at our reservation time we found a cramped little room with an unfriendly stressed-out hostess. Her greeting: “It will be a few minutes.”

So we waited knee cap to knee cap with a crowd of other equally peeved diners. And waited. And waited.

Twenty minutes later we were seated. And then waited. And waited. And waited.

After another twenty minutes of memorizing and closing the wine list and minimalist menu we just sat there wondering if either of the two waitresses were ever going to present themselves.

When one finally did, her greeting: “Hi. Are you ready to order?”

I said, “Um, can we order our drinks first?”

That was a mistake.

Thirty minutes later our wine glasses were empty, we had consumed the two bite-sized $17 crab cakes and our menus were still sitting on the table as we waited. And waited. And waited…while our waitress did her best to ignore us.

An hour and ten minutes after our reservation time, we finally got to place our order after I had to get a bit assertive.

My wife’s $34 five ounce “medium” filet (more like a medallion than a steak) came out rare. The waitress immediately acknowledged the mistake and took it back into the kitchen where they reheated the plate.

Meanwhile I awkwardly ate my $29 pork chop with my wife looking on. It had a tasty apple cider glaze but the meat wasn’t tender like you’d expect from a high end chop.

When the filet did reappear on a very hot plate, the meat was much closer to medium, but lacked much flavor. My wife, who likes her food simple said, “Even I think this needs some seasoning.”

The only positive was the chocolate molten cake for dessert.

So this rather unpleasant dining experience was a disappointment. Unfortunately, the consequences of Café Beaujolais’ disorganization did not end there.

The next morning my sister texted me that she had paid for a Café Beaujolais card and gift certificate to surprise us for our birthday celebration.

It was a very nice thought. Unfortunately nobody at Café Beaujolais said a word to us about it -- even when I paid the $150 tab.

Fortunately, my sister got her money back but the result was we weren’t the only ones disappointed by the incompetence of this overpriced restaurant.

2 Thank AmeliaIsland
Redding, California
“Excellent small restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good menu with variety. Like a small French restaurant with about 15 tables with white table cloths and excellent wine list. Expensive but worth it if you are in the mood

Visited September 2013