“Very good, innovative food”
Review of Cafe Beaujolais

Cafe Beaujolais
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I had a late lunch here while staying on the Mendocino area. We each had the gazpacho and split the short rib sandwich. Both were excellent! I had the poached figs and vanilla ice cream and he had the lava cake for dessert, both of which were also excellent. Our server was very good, quite friendly and accommodating. We will return when we are in the area next and highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I took a quick trip up Mendo way last week. With only one night in Mendicino, we strolled up and down the local streets and decided on this restaurant due to its high ranking with Trip Advisor and also after perusing the menus both here and at the top contender, MacCallum House. The Mac House seemed like the top choice of the locals and had a great little bar area but we preferred the calm and contemporary decor of Cafe Beaujoulais (in spite of the less-than-effusively friendly greeting of the hostess who seated us).
I ordered the Sturgeon (flagship dish) and got the next to the last one. While we were waiting for our dinner (which did take quite a long time- good thing we were in no hurry and happy to basque in one-another's company) I overheard another regular patron who was very disappointed not to get the sturgeon as she usually did. However they substituted Halibut in its place and otherwise the dish was identical.
In spite of a few negative reviews on TA, my husband and I both agreed that the sturgeon special was excellent and flavorful. Made me wonder about the reviewers who said it was "bland". Perhaps they should have tried something else as this dish is delicate indeed but keep in mind it is a white fish.
My husband ordered the chicken with chanterelle mushrooms and I thought it was some of the tenderest, juiciest chicken I had ever tasted (and it's hard to be impressed by a chicken dish).
The wait staff was very friendly and pleasant but I would have to agree they were not always the most efficient. In addition to the long wait for our meal we sat with our plates still in front of us for a little too long after finishing. My husband was in restaurant service during his college days and couldn't help noticing this service faux pas. The tables were full and the restaurant was busy, but it wouldn't have taken too much effort to whisk those away in passing.
Despite the flaws in service, we found the restaurant's small and contemporary feel to be quite welcoming, the food to be excellent and the overall experience to be very positive.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

By big city standards, this restaurant only comes up to a mid-level. While the offerings are sophisticated, the execution of both the dishes for my wife and myself was merely satisfactory. The decor and service were fine but again not exceptional.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife hates french food but i convinced her to try it. She's now a convert. Thanks Cafe Beaujolais! Prices are in the $15-20 range for an entree and their wine selection is good but not great. Reservations are a must. It's a small dining room with a limited number of tables so walk-in's will usually wait more than an hour. I also recommend making a little early dinner reservation because they don't rush you and so you can enjoy the great food, the wine, and your significant other in a relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Small, lively, popular place. Dining room is serene and peaceful, even when crowded.
The food is exceptional! All fresh and local. The duck was one of the best I have ever had. Service was smooth and helpful. Can be a little hard to find but it is worth it.!
Ate here over 20 years ago when it just opened. It was good then. It is outstanding now.