“Friendly service, great accommodation and food”
Review of Brewery Gulch Inn

Brewery Gulch Inn
Ranked #1 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Friendly service, great accommodation and food”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Guy and his staff run a great inn. They went out of their way to help with things to do, restaurants, shopping and sight seeing. The breakfast choices and the food were great. The food at the light dinner buffet on both evenings was very good -- duck one evening and salmon the next. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bob H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Let me say at the outset, our weekend at the BGI was very, very nice. However, I believe there are very small, and subtle differences between a 4-star and a 5-star resort, or a Very Good and an Exceptional one. The details matter and make the difference between the two ratings. A great deal of the difference involves managing the guests' expectations. This is where I think BGI could improve.

Based on the reviews, we expected truly exceptional service, amenities, and location. We experienced very good service, amenities and location, but not exceptional. The staff were friendly and generally helpful, and welcome we received was fine, but felt a bit perfunctory. During the orientation, we were told that there was WiFi "throughout the inn" which thrilled us because we were not expecting to have ANY access to the Internet or texts. Yet when we got to our room (the Madrone, on the first floor) there was barely any WiFi signal, and then only if we stood by the door (I literally had to prop my phone on the door handle to get a reply to my sister through the system). If you are going to tell me there is WiFi "throughout the inn" then I expect adequate WiFi in my room. Had the staff told us that the WiFi was only accessible in the great room, I would not have expected to have it in our room. Our expectations for WiFi were not well managed by the BGI staff.

The room amenities were also very good, and all the appliances (TV, clock, fireplace, etc.) had really nice, laminated explanations and instructions, and the binder with all the information about the inn and the services was comprehensive, helpful and very well put together. My husband particularly like the bath amenities.

Since this was my husband's birthday weekend, I had pre-ordered a bottle of champagne and a cheese tray, both of which were in the room when we arrived. There was a lovely, hand-written note from the BGI staff wishing him a happy birthday and a pleasant stay. However, both the champagne and the cheese had obviously been in the room for a while...the ice had melted and the champagne was on the warm side, and the cheese was "sweating" and too soft. These are details I would not have expected an exceptional place to have overlooked. Further, the cheese plate, while beautifully arranged and labeled, was far too large for two people! The amount of cheese (and the accompanying whole baguette of sourdough bread) could have easily fed six as an appetizer. This would not have been a problem had there been a refrigerator in which to put the leftovers, but our room did not have one. We re-wrapped the platter and took it to the front desk to ask about cold storage. We were greeted with a blank stare and advised to try and put it in the small, shared refrigerator at the top of the stairs. "But I can't guarantee the other guests won't take it." Really? This place has a full kitchen, but couldn't offer to store our plate of cheese? Not the best service, and certainly did not meet my expectations of exceptional service.

The light dinner and wine hour advertised is held from 5:30 - 6:30. I really cannot comment on the food because both nights there was none left when we were ready to eat, between 6:00-6:15. Evidently, one has to grab food at 5:30 or there isn't enough to go around. We do not eat that early, so lost out both nights. Now, I will admit that our unwillingness to eat at 5:30 is entirely our choice, but it seems to me that the inn would have provided sufficient food to accommodate all the guests for the entire hour. Perhaps putting out the food in increments, as opposed to all at once, would enable those who are not ready to at 5:30 to participate in the food service. Again, our expectations for a light supper were not met.

Breakfast was exceptional. The food was excellent and I highly recommend the BAAT breakfast, which is Bacon, Avocado, Arugula and Tomato, beautifully served on a lovely piece of Brioche. The Chef's omelet was also very good. The coffee is roasted locally, a nice touch. Don't count on getting coffee before 7:00 AM (or later) however, unless you are okay with Keurig coffee, and then you may have to fill the water carafe yourself. Once again, if you tell me that coffee will be available at 7:00, I expect coffee at 7:00, not 7:15, as was the case one morning. Many people are early risers and enjoy their coffee well before 7:00. I travel with Starbucks Vias for this reason, and can use a Keurig for hot water, which I did both mornings at the BGI. The first morning, I was up well before 7 and did not expect there to be coffee. On the second morning, I slept in and went to get coffee at 7:15. Not only was there no coffee, there was no water in the Keurig reservoir. I filled it myself and shared my Vias with another guest whose expectation for coffee at 7:00 had not been met.

All of these issues really are are minor. Yet they are each evidence of details that should not be missed by what is advertised as an exceptional inn. Managing the expectations of your guests is critical to their satisfaction and perceptions of quality of the experience.

Having said all this, my husband and I would return. The BGI is really a very nice property and we did enjoy our stay quite a lot.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south end, second floor have a better view of the ocean. Road noise (Hwy. 1) is inevita...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacqueet
MendocinoInnkeeper, Owner at Brewery Gulch Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We try very hard to measure up to expectations created through previous experiences shared by our guests on websites such as TripAdvisor. As an innkeeper, the most disheartening thing you can hear is that the expectations of a guest were not met. But it is even more disheartening to hear this after a guest has departed and you have no opportunity to improve their experience during their stay.

I firmly believe that in life, the details are what matters. From the candied ginger we have at the front desk to help with the motion sickness guests sometimes experience driving on our windy roads, to the black wash cloths we provide for make-up removal, we pay attention to the details. The bottle of champagne we placed in this guest’s room as a surprise for her husband’s birthday, as well as the cheese plate she had ordered, were in the room in time for a 3:00p check-in. If the guest had not arrived in time for the 5:30p dinner buffet, a plate of food would have been placed in her room as well and the ice in the champagne bucket would have been refreshed. That particular weekend was warm by Mendocino standards (in the low 70s), so the cheese, unfortunately, sweated. In trying to provide good value, apparently we also made the cheese basket too large.

One of the hardest things to do when preparing a dinner buffet for the guests is to know how much food will be consumed. On Friday night, we had prepared more food than was needed and staff took home some of the wasabi pea-crusted salmon, the Asian glass noodles and the gingered beets. On Saturday, the food did disappear by 6:00p, but this is an extraordinarily rare occurrence.

Recognizing that our desk is closed between 7:00p and 8:00a, and staff is not available to replenish the two insulated coffee carafes at our beverage station, we added a Keurig machine with a selection of pods to supplement the proprietary blend of Thanksgiving coffee normally available. The kitchen staff is usually very prompt in having the carafes filled with fresh, hot coffee by 7:00a. We shared this guest’s comments with them to ensure that no future guests experience a 15 minute coffee delay.

We recognize that for many people, a trip to the Mendocino coast represents a vacation that has been greatly anticipated for months. It should be everything you hoped for and more. Please, if you experience any concerns when staying with us, let one of our staff know immediately. It is our job to make sure that your experience not only meets, but exceeds your expectations. Thank you, Guy Pacurar, Proprietor, Brewery Gulch Inn
Burnsville
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Warm and inviting, Brewery Gulch is a welcome respite. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean and the food is fabulous. We spend many hours on the deck watching the ocean and the numerous birds that gather in the nearby trees. Breakfast is gourmet; selected from a menu of options and daily specials. The "light dinner" includes more tasty treats from Peg's kitchen as well as wine. Generally a salad, vegetable and meat are served buffet style. Plenty to send you to bed satisfied.

Since I suffer with severe allergies, the No Pets/No Smoking policy is very important. We always feel like we have come home when staying at the Brewery Gulch Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tahoe
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We've been going to the Brewery Gulch Inn now for years. The setting, the service, the food, and the staff are superb! Our experiences there are magical. Guy is gracious, knowledgable and immensely helpful. Having traveled the globe I can't think of a more welcoming place to spend a few peaceful days!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our family stayed one night in the Meadowview Suite. The room was very comfortable with a beautiful view of the meadow. We enjoyed excellent local food for happy hour and an amazing breakfast the next day. It was truly the best food we had on our 8 day trip. The staff was very helpful and kind. It felt like we were staying with friends; friends with an really nice house! Our older kids were comfortable and welcome at the Inn, but I would caution against bringing younger children as most of the other guests were couples enjoying a quiet weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen L
Benicia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I were married in Mendocino many years ago. We have returned frequently to
various inns since the Heritage House closed. Trip advisor ranks BGI #1. This was our first time
staying here. The inn is as advertised. Rooms are large, beds are very comfortable. Staff
provides a high level of customer service. The breakfasts are delicious and included in
the price. In addition, the small plate dishes offered each evening were so ample that
we did not go out for dinner. They offer all you can eat and or drink each evening from 5:30
until 6:30 pm. The inn has a large deck off of the great room which is lovely for watching
the sunsets. We did find that the combination of the great room and the deck offered the
opportunity to enjoy some lovely evenings meeting the other guests. Very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: We were in the Madrone room. Lower level corner room with a semi private deck. Nice fireplace, jac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeniciaPatMS
veneto
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Brewery is a very nice quiet place where to spend some days while visit this magnificent County. Guy , the owner, answers directly to any questions and is always ready for advise and nice suggestion. Wonderful breakfast and nice happy hour ( if I have to say, being Italian , that pasta or risotto could leave place to some local food, maybe prepared in a better way, but this is only being accustomed with that kind of food prepared differently ). If you are 3, I highly recommend wren room: for a little amount of money is incredibly better than raven even if without a sea view. We are sorry not to haven taken that while booking. Inn offers very goof bath amenities. Very good stay. Only think, because of Italian, we use to pay that kind of accommodation less than a 4-5 stars hotel, while in US is not like that .

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Brewery Gulch Inn? Share your experiences!