“Great place”

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here with my family (wife and 2 kids) a while back. Amazing location and great room. We stayed in the water tower and loved it. The people were super friendly and it's right in town so good location. Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank metodd1
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thanks for the great review!
Come Back Soon :)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I booked a room here and then cancelled, and I am so glad that I read through the reviews as I am very allergic to smoke of any kind. I don't know how this Inn can make their own policy about smoking and especially smoking pot inside the premises.

It should be noted in the comments that this Inn allows guests, etc. to smoke marijuana inside the house and for someone who is allergic to smoke this is a problem. One guest complained about the smoke due to her allergy and they were kicked out of the place for complaining! The owner said they were a medical marijuana friendly smoking facility and that was stated on their add. (Not the case). I think California law states that lodging rooms are to be smoke free or offer a choice at the least. The review stated that they violated this policy and refused to give their guest a refund which in my opinion they were obligated to do. Several recent guests stated the whole Inn smelled like both freshly smoked and stale marijuana. People should know that in advance so that they can make an informed decision. I was going to book a room but after reading that on many reviews, we decided to go elsewhere instead. Glad I took the time to read reviews!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jane-Santa-Rosa

Wow. I am really sick of being slammed for being tolerant of Marijuana, but when it's a slam by someone who never stayed here based on other peoples reviews I just scratch my head in confusion. The guest you are basing part of your reivew on was not kicked out and were not told they could not get a refund. Thay were told to get a refund from TravelZoo, The people they paid.

We do not allow smoking of anything in any public area. We don't allow tobacco smoking anywhere in the house because TOBACCO CAUSES CANCER. We do allow people to smoke marijuana in their rooms. The smell, unlike Tobacco, does not linger. I've been in Hospitality in Mendocino/Fort Bragg for 11 years and I will tell you that Every room in this County has had Marijuana smoke in it. I would guess about %30 to %40 of the folks that come to Mendocino Smoke Marijuana.

What I truly don't like about Anti Marijuana people is thay tend to complain about things that don't affect them.

You won't understand this, but

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Bedspread handsome kind of stain on it. When we came in after dinner in Fort Bragg 8:30 or so couldn't get door unlocked left outside for 10 minutes in cold trying to unlock door. Poor lighting on path to room nearly fell flat on my face due to uneven sidewalk. Bath tub looks as if half the porcelain is missing. Whoever is upstairs above room 73 was moving furniture on wood floor making a horrible amount of noise about 9:30 pm.Lets see a sheet covering door window. Window coverings in front of house shredded from weather. I'm requesting a refund what a dump

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Godshook
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Another one. Our place is not a dump. When you stayed there were 22 other guest staying who all seemed to really enjoy themselves. You complained about a Bleach spot at the foot of your BedSpread and the lock being a lil sticky and the beautiful hand made window covering (not a SHEET!). You wrote this review from your room the morning you were here. You skipped breakfast and when asked why you really told me you were afraid to eat the food!!

I say Yeck to guest like you who show up find a spot on a carpet or somthing else that should not bug anyone on a vacation but ruins your vacation - YECK

Also when I went into your room to check your Bedding I found Ciggerette ashes on the lil wooden table and Strong cig smell in the room. YECK

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I love Mendocino!! When I saw Travel zoo had a deal for the Didgeridoo I jumped. We planned a 4 day trip for same price we paid on promo for 2 nights at another local B&B. Reservations were no problems accommodating my husband's mobility issues. We didn't know what to expect as with anything new we were ready for our adventure. Upon arrival on Feb 2 I have to admit I was a little leary, but ventured in. Of course being super bowl Sunday there was a note to pls dial this number and someone would come check you in. I dialed and Paula was there to check us in. The room was under the water tower right out side the main common room very convenient for my husband. Although the room was a bit tight for him to get around in, the room itself was a comfortable no frills room, a well built addition to the main house. It had a small TV, stand alone closet, wood burning stove, comfy queen bed, small corner table w/2 chairs and sm refrigerator. The bathroom was good size easy for my husband to get around in. Room was very private & quiet which I loved. Being right in the garden I'm sure it's even nicer in summer.(don't get comment made about dead unkept garden..Hello it's winter) It was pretty cold so I started a fire...did I mention very well insulated as well..lol I love having a fire but by Log number 6 we had to open the window and door to cool down...The next few nights only 3 logs per nite.
Charles was a very gracious host and make wonderful breakfast meals. The breakfast is served promptly at 9:10. Early risers can enjoy a cup of freshly made coffee or tea as well as make friendly conversation with other guests while admiring the art work on display in the common room. Or I even had time to take a fantastic walk through town down to the ocean..great way to start the day!! Each morning Charles would serve an egg dish, meat dish (the brn sugar pecan bacon is to die for), special french toast or pancakes, yougart w/ blueberries and oj. Very filling and tasty, you can feel the pride Charles puts into this meal in every bite.
We have been to other B&B and enjoyed them as well but this was different. Here it was like staying at a friends house. Meals were either buffet style where you balanced your plate on your lap or we shared the main table depending on how many guests. Either way was enjoyable and gave us the opportunity to chat with and get great tips from Charles and other guest on places to eat or visit in or around town.
In the beginning I mentioned I has leary upon arrival..As I mentioned to Charles the lining on the curtains in front window were shredded from the sun and was very unappealing as a first impression. Charles did tell me they were in process of getting them replaced. As stated first impressions but so glad I didn't let that stop us as I found that once you settle into the Didjeridoo, this is really a gem... no frills but comfy.
In reading another review regarding the pot smell we stayed 4 days and I am very sensitive to smell, I smelled nothing but the great smell of the sea and rain. Another mentioned something about pet hair, yes this is a pet friendly Inn as stated in advertisement and there were a few dogs there but as I stated everything was pretty spotless.
Someone also mentioned that they ran out of water which yes they did, but things were up and running by 8am ish, so no inconvenience at all. (All Mendocino has been hit hard by the drought) I enjoyed my stay so much we are hoping to return time allowing in spring with my 86 yr old mom to enjoy Charles' wonderful invite to his abalone pot luck dinner. Thanks Charles and Paula for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay. Also really enjoyed Jojo the cat great plus to my stay.
P.S. If you want the Ritz and all the antiques and frills this may not be the place for you. However if you want a comfy relaxing stay in Mendocino at a reasonable price check them out. Remember too, appearance can be deceiving so glad we had this fantastic adventure!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank wknmom

Hi! Loved having you here, Great Guest really make this inn sometimes, Most times! When I opened the Didj my whole concept was having it be a down to earth homey feeling kind of place and people like you really make that possible. Thank You!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the inn the last few days of January, 2014. We thought it was great fun. Paula checked us in, and explained the ins and outs of the place. She was very nice and friendly, and helpful. I don't get all the complaints below about the breakfast and the seating. Paula explained that if there are many people, the the breakfast is 'buffet style', but if there are fewer people, then they set a table. We had one day where we took our b-fast and found a couch, and the next morning, we all sat around a big table. Both were fine, and each time we chatted with the other guests during the meal. Why are people whining about the seating or food?

Charles prides himself on his breakfasts, and I can see why. He made fancy, cheesy eggs, 'crack' bacon (with pecans), yogurt and berries, and a 3-potato dish. It was terrific and I had seconds. The next morning, Paula cooked breakfast, added pancakes, and it was terrific as well. I just don't get the food complaints; it was pretty special and yummy both days. They also had hot coffee, tea, water, juice, and cocoa. Everyone was friendly and the food was great.

After breakfast, Charles played his didgeridoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmTDoyNc3E

Our room, pics attached, was clean, bright, and cozy. The bed was very good. The room had a refrigerator, TV, gas fireplace, desk, and nice furnishings. Everything seemed clean and working. The bathroom was very small, but we found it all charming.

The whole inn is a little different, but in a fun way. The place and the people are low-key, but helpful. I talked with Paula several times about where to eat. She gave us two great recommendations, - Patterson's and Flows (if I got these right) and both were fabulous. Paula was always nice to everyone, and always willing to answer anything or help.

Charles is a bit of a character, but lively and lots of fun. We found him friendly and open. I can see that he could be defensive of his inn, especially when faced with silly complaints, but we had no issues. He chatted with us before and after breakfast, took our plates, played the didgeridoo, and offered suggestions about what to see in the area.

Paula told us the breakfast was at 9:10am. Fine by me, and I don't get the complaints about the odd time. We showed when told and had a great breakfast. Why complain about the 9:10 time?

We stayed with another couple who had a big room along the side of the main house. The front yard of the inn is a bit dry from the drought, and a trim wouldn't hurt, but the old house stands proud, waiting for it's guests. All of the rooms we saw looked nice, but we really liked our bright, upstairs room facing the street and the ocean. (See my pics.)

If I had a suggestion, it would be only that I would have liked maybe some cookies, or a wine hour set out in the afternoons like some B&B's do, but this in no way detracted from the experience. (We actually brought our own.)

So I say, definitely check out the inn, ask Charles about his terrific breakfasts, get him to play the dijeridoo. It's a fun place. If they'll have us, we would definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K

This is the best review we have ever had. Truly, Thank You.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a very lovely, large room with a comfortable queen-size bed. The breakfast was delicious and cooked from scratch. The innkeepers were friendly and everything worked fine. The inn was dog friendly and was right across the street from a wonderful beach that allowed dogs. I loved that the inn was in town and you could walk everywhere. I enjoyed the nearby coffee house, grocery, restaurants, and galleries. We also enjoyed walking the Mendocino Headlands nearby.

Room Tip: Our room was wonderful. It was the front left room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IngCV

Hi! You folks were in room 60, a great room at the front of the house. Thanks for liking my breakfast I really love cooking it when it's enjoyed :) Bring your pup back and stay again soon!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My partner and I like to stay here anytime we are in mendocino. The staff are always welcoming and the breakfast can't be beat. Located on the Main Street of our favorite little town makes it perfect for strolling through the shops and galleries. We happened to be there on thanksgiving and Charles and his staff created one of the best meals i have ever had which included abalone charles caught himself. It is by far the best deal in town and I fall in love with each new room I see. Can't wait for our next trip!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kamille M

Hi! and Thank's for the Great review. Hope to see you at our Abalone Pot-Luck dinners starting The first Saturday in April thru the Last Saturday in June! Once again Thank You!