“Can't unlock door coffee not ready at 8 no one around.”

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Bedspread handsome kind of stain on it. When we came in after dinner in Fort Bragg 8:30 or so couldn't get door unlocked left outside for 10 minutes in cold trying to unlock door. Poor lighting on path to room nearly fell flat on my face due to uneven sidewalk. Bath tub looks as if half the porcelain is missing. Whoever is upstairs above room 73 was moving furniture on wood floor making a horrible amount of noise about 9:30 pm.Lets see a sheet covering door window. Window coverings in front of house shredded from weather. I'm requesting a refund what a dump

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Godshook
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Another one. Our place is not a dump. When you stayed there were 22 other guest staying who all seemed to really enjoy themselves. You complained about a Bleach spot at the foot of your BedSpread and the lock being a lil sticky and the beautiful hand made window covering (not a SHEET!). You wrote this review from your room the morning you were here. You skipped breakfast and when asked why you really told me you were afraid to eat the food!!

I say Yeck to guest like you who show up find a spot on a carpet or somthing else that should not bug anyone on a vacation but ruins your vacation - YECK

Also when I went into your room to check your Bedding I found Ciggerette ashes on the lil wooden table and Strong cig smell in the room. YECK

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I love Mendocino!! When I saw Travel zoo had a deal for the Didgeridoo I jumped. We planned a 4 day trip for same price we paid on promo for 2 nights at another local B&B. Reservations were no problems accommodating my husband's mobility issues. We didn't know what to expect as with anything new we were ready for our adventure. Upon arrival on Feb 2 I have to admit I was a little leary, but ventured in. Of course being super bowl Sunday there was a note to pls dial this number and someone would come check you in. I dialed and Paula was there to check us in. The room was under the water tower right out side the main common room very convenient for my husband. Although the room was a bit tight for him to get around in, the room itself was a comfortable no frills room, a well built addition to the main house. It had a small TV, stand alone closet, wood burning stove, comfy queen bed, small corner table w/2 chairs and sm refrigerator. The bathroom was good size easy for my husband to get around in. Room was very private & quiet which I loved. Being right in the garden I'm sure it's even nicer in summer.(don't get comment made about dead unkept garden..Hello it's winter) It was pretty cold so I started a fire...did I mention very well insulated as well..lol I love having a fire but by Log number 6 we had to open the window and door to cool down...The next few nights only 3 logs per nite.
Charles was a very gracious host and make wonderful breakfast meals. The breakfast is served promptly at 9:10. Early risers can enjoy a cup of freshly made coffee or tea as well as make friendly conversation with other guests while admiring the art work on display in the common room. Or I even had time to take a fantastic walk through town down to the ocean..great way to start the day!! Each morning Charles would serve an egg dish, meat dish (the brn sugar pecan bacon is to die for), special french toast or pancakes, yougart w/ blueberries and oj. Very filling and tasty, you can feel the pride Charles puts into this meal in every bite.
We have been to other B&B and enjoyed them as well but this was different. Here it was like staying at a friends house. Meals were either buffet style where you balanced your plate on your lap or we shared the main table depending on how many guests. Either way was enjoyable and gave us the opportunity to chat with and get great tips from Charles and other guest on places to eat or visit in or around town.
In the beginning I mentioned I has leary upon arrival..As I mentioned to Charles the lining on the curtains in front window were shredded from the sun and was very unappealing as a first impression. Charles did tell me they were in process of getting them replaced. As stated first impressions but so glad I didn't let that stop us as I found that once you settle into the Didjeridoo, this is really a gem... no frills but comfy.
In reading another review regarding the pot smell we stayed 4 days and I am very sensitive to smell, I smelled nothing but the great smell of the sea and rain. Another mentioned something about pet hair, yes this is a pet friendly Inn as stated in advertisement and there were a few dogs there but as I stated everything was pretty spotless.
Someone also mentioned that they ran out of water which yes they did, but things were up and running by 8am ish, so no inconvenience at all. (All Mendocino has been hit hard by the drought) I enjoyed my stay so much we are hoping to return time allowing in spring with my 86 yr old mom to enjoy Charles' wonderful invite to his abalone pot luck dinner. Thanks Charles and Paula for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay. Also really enjoyed Jojo the cat great plus to my stay.
P.S. If you want the Ritz and all the antiques and frills this may not be the place for you. However if you want a comfy relaxing stay in Mendocino at a reasonable price check them out. Remember too, appearance can be deceiving so glad we had this fantastic adventure!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank wknmom
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Hi! Loved having you here, Great Guest really make this inn sometimes, Most times! When I opened the Didj my whole concept was having it be a down to earth homey feeling kind of place and people like you really make that possible. Thank You!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the inn the last few days of January, 2014. We thought it was great fun. Paula checked us in, and explained the ins and outs of the place. She was very nice and friendly, and helpful. I don't get all the complaints below about the breakfast and the seating. Paula explained that if there are many people, the the breakfast is 'buffet style', but if there are fewer people, then they set a table. We had one day where we took our b-fast and found a couch, and the next morning, we all sat around a big table. Both were fine, and each time we chatted with the other guests during the meal. Why are people whining about the seating or food?

Charles prides himself on his breakfasts, and I can see why. He made fancy, cheesy eggs, 'crack' bacon (with pecans), yogurt and berries, and a 3-potato dish. It was terrific and I had seconds. The next morning, Paula cooked breakfast, added pancakes, and it was terrific as well. I just don't get the food complaints; it was pretty special and yummy both days. They also had hot coffee, tea, water, juice, and cocoa. Everyone was friendly and the food was great.

After breakfast, Charles played his didgeridoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmTDoyNc3E

Our room, pics attached, was clean, bright, and cozy. The bed was very good. The room had a refrigerator, TV, gas fireplace, desk, and nice furnishings. Everything seemed clean and working. The bathroom was very small, but we found it all charming.

The whole inn is a little different, but in a fun way. The place and the people are low-key, but helpful. I talked with Paula several times about where to eat. She gave us two great recommendations, - Patterson's and Flows (if I got these right) and both were fabulous. Paula was always nice to everyone, and always willing to answer anything or help.

Charles is a bit of a character, but lively and lots of fun. We found him friendly and open. I can see that he could be defensive of his inn, especially when faced with silly complaints, but we had no issues. He chatted with us before and after breakfast, took our plates, played the didgeridoo, and offered suggestions about what to see in the area.

Paula told us the breakfast was at 9:10am. Fine by me, and I don't get the complaints about the odd time. We showed when told and had a great breakfast. Why complain about the 9:10 time?

We stayed with another couple who had a big room along the side of the main house. The front yard of the inn is a bit dry from the drought, and a trim wouldn't hurt, but the old house stands proud, waiting for it's guests. All of the rooms we saw looked nice, but we really liked our bright, upstairs room facing the street and the ocean. (See my pics.)

If I had a suggestion, it would be only that I would have liked maybe some cookies, or a wine hour set out in the afternoons like some B&B's do, but this in no way detracted from the experience. (We actually brought our own.)

So I say, definitely check out the inn, ask Charles about his terrific breakfasts, get him to play the dijeridoo. It's a fun place. If they'll have us, we would definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K

This is the best review we have ever had. Truly, Thank You.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a very lovely, large room with a comfortable queen-size bed. The breakfast was delicious and cooked from scratch. The innkeepers were friendly and everything worked fine. The inn was dog friendly and was right across the street from a wonderful beach that allowed dogs. I loved that the inn was in town and you could walk everywhere. I enjoyed the nearby coffee house, grocery, restaurants, and galleries. We also enjoyed walking the Mendocino Headlands nearby.

Room Tip: Our room was wonderful. It was the front left room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IngCV

Hi! You folks were in room 60, a great room at the front of the house. Thanks for liking my breakfast I really love cooking it when it's enjoyed :) Bring your pup back and stay again soon!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My partner and I like to stay here anytime we are in mendocino. The staff are always welcoming and the breakfast can't be beat. Located on the Main Street of our favorite little town makes it perfect for strolling through the shops and galleries. We happened to be there on thanksgiving and Charles and his staff created one of the best meals i have ever had which included abalone charles caught himself. It is by far the best deal in town and I fall in love with each new room I see. Can't wait for our next trip!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kamille M

Hi! and Thank's for the Great review. Hope to see you at our Abalone Pot-Luck dinners starting The first Saturday in April thru the Last Saturday in June! Once again Thank You!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place provided me an affordable way to spend a weekend in Mendocino, and that I appreciate. Unfortunately, though, I wouldn't come back. The place had the lingering smell of pot and the carpets were dank. Breakers flipped all the time so basic outlets didn't work, and the hotel ran out of water (which is certainly an unfortunate coincidence and not the fault of the inn owners at all-- this is a Mendocino-wide drought-related problem). There wasn't room for a chair (somewhere to sit in our room), and the lounge wasn't the most cozy, conducive place to sit and relax, especially when the area was overrun by a group of non-guests watching a football game in one of the open rooms downstairs our first afternoon. So, it was just okay... The best part of our stay was definitely the great breakfast, which I enjoyed, though it would be good to have an option for earlier risers. Breakfast wasn't served until almost 9:30am, and that's too late for early risers... we were starving by then! I understand the need for efficiency as an inn with few guests, but I think a 2-tiered serving schedule could solve that problem without too much trouble. The staff was very nice, and it isn't for lack of effort. Just different styles and not exactly what I was looking forward to...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Stone S
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank You for Loving The Breakfast, I wish you felt the same about the People!

1 Breaker flipped 2 times because the Artist who hung her new work in the Lobby plugged the Tea Kettle into the wrong Outlet.... I don't think you were inconvienced AT ALL.

Pot does not have a "lingering smell" - You like most Pot complainers have read past reviews and you like to repeat them.... Move to Texas (not Austin)

Breakfast is served At 9:10 Sharp. I think I've written that SO many times to these reviews that if you google Breakfast time at didjeridoo it will come up as 1 result and that would be 9:10. Not 9:30

I will tell the servants never to watch the supper bowl in a room again. It bothered you.

But once again, Thanks for loving the breakfast :)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

You could become an un expecting victim! For some Didjeridoo is a dream for others it is a nightmare, which is obvious by the reviews. If you like the "commune" living style with an open marijuana "Medicinal" purposes of course, smoking policy, then this is your place. Have at it. But if you are expecting what is advertised and to be like a typical B&B, you are in trouble.

Our concern came when we first arrived and saw the outside. How old are the pictures in their web site and how photoshopped are they? Only Charles knows. The house yard was unkempt, the outside was Dingy and in need of a face lift. We still went on hoping the inside was better. We were met with a friendly staff and a pile of laundry in the common dinning/sitting/living/ smoking room. What was worse is that there was a STRONG odor of freshly smoked along with stale smell of Marijuana. This was also in the kitchen area.

Personally the medical use of marijuana is not a concern of ours, but my wife has a major medical allergy to marijuana and the smoke affects her greatly. It was obvious we could not stay there. When we explained that to the staff they stated that it was not a problem of theirs and they were a marijuana medicinal use friendly environment. We asked to get a refund and we would be on our way. They said they did not give refunds and it was our problem not theirs. They also stated it was on their website that they were a Mj friendly inn. I pulled the site up and asked them to show me where it said that. It didn't.

I told them what it did say is that it is a "smoke free" environment, which by California law it has to be. I explained that the law does not indicate what can and cannot be smoked, it is plain and simple, any smoking.
At that point they became confused and were apologetic but said they couldn't do anything about it.

While I started to look for another place to stay on the phone the employee called the owner "Charles" and had my wife talk to him. She tried to explain our circumstance to him but he became immediately irate with her and verbally belligerent. She hung up on him because he had upset her so much. He had told her that if we were so closed minded about the use of marijuana then we shouldn't come to California and he would not give a refund to us because we were close minded people.

I saw the employee was on the phone, she held the phone down and told me it was the owner and that he is telling us to leave his Inn. She handed me the phone upon my request. I was able to talk to Charles on the phone. I am a calm person and tried to speak calmly to him at no avail. He was immediately argumentative and belligerent yelling at me on the phone, again saying that we were closed minded and were giving his place "Bad energy" and to leave. I told him as soon as we get a refund we would leave. He refused. And I tried to kindly explain to him that I had no adversity to the medical us of marijuana and I was probably one of the few law enforcement persons he would meet that didn't care either way. He immediately said "you're a cop! Now I really want you to leave!"

Well I could go on and on but you get the point from my review and the reviews of others. Charles is the worst part of this whole place if you are not in total agreement with him or has the slightest problem with his establishment.

We did end up staying at the fantastic Mendocino Hotel that is everything Charles says his is, but isn't. It is a wonderful turn of the century hotel that is designed for everyone and is peaceful and relaxing.

Charles, by what I see of your replies to others you are fuming now. Sorry. But here is some friendly and legal advise for you so other un expecting people do not get trapped into a bad situation for both them and you. You can make your establishment into a "Vacation co-op Style Club" where guest who know, and I'll restate that point "know" what type of Inn you really are, and have them pay a membership fee, then they can legally smoke what ever they want in their private club, and no one will be caught off guard expecting more than what they bargained for. Also make a clear banner that states you are a medicinal marijuana friendly environment on your web site, clear.

I wish I could comment on your breakfast but you wanted me out of your establishment before I could try this wonderful meal. But! "The Flow" restaurant down the street and the Mendocino Hotel both have great breakfast!!!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Paul E
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

OK, We smoke Pot. Our inn is OK with people who smoke pot staying here. My girls work there buts off. If they had been smoking before you arrived, O'well there housekeepers not brain surgeons. This issue was not about smoking pot. You paid through TravelZoo, a 3rd party sales site who you booked through. When you said you would not stay and demanded a refund you were told you would have to call TravelZoo for the refund. Thats how it works. You refused to leave without an immidiate refund so My girls called me. I got on the phone with your wife, right away demanding a refund and I explained to her that she needed to call TravelZoo. She refused FREAKED out on me (like she had on my girls, Nancy was almost crying) then Hung up.... I called and Paula told me Like your wife had that you were calling the Police. You got on the phone with me and told me you know how the Law works because your a Police Officer!!!! After explaing to you again that you would have to call TravelZoo you refussed said you had called our Sheriff and would not leave without your refund...... The deputy showed but you had left, after calling our cops! Really your a Cop?

And also Officer Full of Poop, Don't slam our place cause you didn't get your way.

Ps. Cops are welcomed here but NOT GUNS.

Charles @ Didjeridoo