“Nice room but ran out of breakfast”

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Ranked #13 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Wallkill, New York
“Nice room but ran out of breakfast”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Room was nice. Very clean. Bed was great. Bathroom was huge. Now the bad... Unfortunately, breakfast isn't served until around 9. But if you come down late, meaning 9:10, expecting to eat forget about it. We went a few mins after 9 and we got cold eggs. 1 small piece of bacon, only because the other guests were willing to take food from their plates when they realized not everyone was gonna get some. When asked if more bacon was coming, owners response was, "No, it takes 45 minutes to make." We had to take our food back to our room to eat because there was no place to sit down. The only table was the round table with the food on it and then you sit at chairs with no table to eat. Not the best set up for breakfast. Thankfully our room had chairs and a table to eat at. Don't get me wrong the 1 piece of bacon I had was delicious. Eggs were cold. French toast excellent. If you want your room made up or fresh linens you have to ask it's not done automatically. For firewood they use wet wood. Took forever to get a fire started. Improvements needed for breakfast service. Doubt we'd be back til then.

Room Tip: We stayed on 1st floor. Very quiet til morning. Room was right next to breakfast service. Don'...
3 Thank loridloralei
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hi,
Wow, What a run of Bad reviews but lets do a little math. We have 12 rooms and are full often, about 70 rooms sold per week. About %10 of our reviews suck, like the one you gave. %90 are pretty good or Great. That means MOST people love the Didjeridoo for what it is, a great comfortable place to spend a few days. Now to respond to what YOU came up with;
When you check in you are told breakfast is served at 9am. InFact, we serve the food At 9:10, SHARP. That gives folks 10 minutes to congregate and time for late people to make it. If you were a late check in that info is also printed on the information card in your room. If we have less than 12 people we table sit the meal but our table only sits 12 and the Inn holds 24+ so more than 12 and it's set buffet style but it normally works out GREAT and it gives complainers with nothing to complain about somthing to complain about, like you. When we serve we serve alot of food intially and are willing to make as much as needed until about 10am. The baccon is cooked in the oven with Brown sugar, pecans and red crushed peppers. It takes about an hour to make. When we serve breakfast we tell everyone we can make more eggs and bread items (incredible special french toast or pancakes) but not more baccon. So bottom line, best breakfast is served at 9:10, DONT DIS OUR BREAKFAST and quit giving bad reviews because you sleep late (it wasn't 9.......haha)

@ Didjeridoo

Ps. Can some of the Nintey Percenters pleez give us some great reviews now! Love ya all!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Rohnert Park, California
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place was run down and gross! If we paid Motel 6 pricing it would have been a 3 but for what we paid I expected a lot more. We didn't even stay for breakfast because everyone we saw there just turned our stomach both employee's and guests. We never saw the clean cut "owner". The front yard was weeds, not what the photos show. We won't be back!

6 Thank Nancy W
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
OMG! Thats how we all (my employees and all the happy guest) felt about you!!!

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Was it the 'meditation center' sign or the unmaintained garden entry that made us uneasy? The barefoot clerk greeted us in a dated common room holding a cup of freshly seeped tea with a weathered and rotting sun deck outside. One flight up the narrow staircase was our small room, displaying stained bed covers, a filthy carpeted floor and peeling paint around the cramped bathrooms door. A knotted repair had been made to the string pull ceiling lamp, and the shower curtain rod above was not fixed, so it fell on us each time we used it. But outside was quaint Mendocino in all its autumnal glory, although it did not prepare us for the self-described 'overbearing' owner we met at breakfast the next morning.

As we were getting acquainted with new friends, he overheard our conversation and then got on his soapbox excitedly professing the need for a national department of wholesomeness. It was no better the following morning when we were not able to sit at the table, but had to hold our single service breakfast plates on our laps as if we were camping in the crowded common room. One of the guests nearby lamented about her fond memories of the former Mendocino Village Inn, long since gone. As were leaving I noticed the owner was proudly showing another guest a smoking pipe he had made. Unfortunately, nothing about this disappointing visit made us serenely meditative, so perhaps we just needed to medicate.

Room Tip: Ask to see other rooms before you check in, as they are all unique.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank InWineTruth2
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hi

I'm not super offended by you carpet remarks but it is a stained carpet not a dirty one and it will be replaced durring this years slow season (winter).

I am super offended at your medicate or meditate remark as I do not like uptight REDNECKS. Therfore I would like to thank you for your review as I have decided to take this opportunity to come out and say

"We are now %100 Marijuana Friendly"

You do not need to smoke marijuana to stay here but if you are a smoker you can now do it openly at Didjeridoo. No Tobacco in any room or public space.

If you have a reservation with us and you do not wish to stay at an openly Marijuana friendly inn Please feel free to call and cancel as truly I DO NOT WANT UPTIGHT RUDE REDNECKS staying here, they ruin the vibe.

Ha!

Minneapolis
Reviewed October 27, 2013

All of the reviews on this site are accurate. The good. The bad. You may have a great time--I can see the appeal of the place. But if it's even slightly "off," and you mention this to the innkeeper, prepare for an onslaught of defensiveness and rudeness.

Okay. A few good things. Our bed was comfortable and we had a great night's sleep, in spite of the paper-thin walls. The large soaking tub was also very relaxing, and my husband and I--who were here on our honeymoon--both enjoyed the breakfast (though more on that in a bit).

We also appreciated the fact that the "Didj" allowed us to stay for just one night on a weekend; when we were doing our bookings a month out, all the other places in town required a two-night minimum.

The rooms and condition of the house are exactly as the other reviews say: a little funky, relatively historic and in need of some repair, and on the shabby side (or at least shabbier than you'd expect if you're paying nearly $200/night). Whether you find that annoying or charming is up to you. We were mostly indifferent to that aspect and, as mentioned before, the bed and soaking tub were pleasant and provided a night of relaxation.

IF you go, do all you can to avoid rooms 60, 61 or 72, which are all right in the entry way and allow you to hear every bit of the conversations happening in the hall, or in front of the house. I think we truly lucked out by having fellow guests who were all in for the night by 10 pm. But even when people were chatting on the front steps, we could hear every word, even with the window shut.

When we checked in the gal helping us heartily conveyed our need to show up to breakfast on time, which we made sure to do--even got to the serving area around 8:50. We are sweet-breakfast people and enjoyed the eggs, sugary chicken sausages and french toast. It WAS good--although, not the world-class gourmet experience that the innkeeper seems to think it is (as good as any home chef). Also, as mentioned in previous reviews, there's no table seating indoors, so you have to balance your plate awkwardly on your lap and hope that your section of the couch is near one of the few end tables so you have a place to set your coffee. We opted to sit out on the front steps and soak in the morning sunlight. So we were actually okay with this offbeat breakfast experience.

Here's where things got ugly.

While we were filling our breakfast plates, the innkeeper, Charles, approached another couple, who we had overheard mentioning an issue to another employee the previous evening (something to do with the plumbing). Charles said that he'd "knock $40" back to them for the inconvenience, to which the couple--between bites of food--politely replied, "We'll talk about it later."

Charles replied, sarcastically, "Well, there's nothing to talk about; I'm not going to negotiate, unless you want LESS than $40."

After we finished our own breakfast, we chit-chatted for a few minutes with Charles (who offered sightseeing tips) and then retreated to our room to pack up and head out. Through our paper-thin walls, we heard the other couple return to speak with Charles regarding their room.

The very first thing he said, before they could speak, was another sarcastic comment: "So did you decide to take the $40, or do you want less?"

Again, the couple very politely requested to negotiate the partial refund, but in less than a minute Charles had escalated into shouts of "GET OUT OF MY HOME!" and "I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU LAWYER!" Mind you, the couple was staying as even-keeled as would be expected from a person who had suddenly turned irate.

What alarmed us wasn't so much that he was holding his line, but that he was being so defensive and aggressive, all in front of other guests who were still finishing their breakfasts. Absolutely no sense of good customer service or, indeed, good manners, period.

The couple left and Charles turned to the other guests, and loudly and unabashedly trash-talked the couple. It was sickeningly unprofessional and we were quite glad not to be staying any longer. We came out of our room, handed in our keys and left, and plan never to return.

For the $200/night that we spent to stay there, you expect a modicum of professionalism. Overall our stay was OK, but bearing witness to the terrible experience of other patrons was very unpleasant and not at all the "zen" experience you'd expect from a place that touts itself as a "Meditation Center." If you need further proof of the unpredictable customer service you might receive, you need look no further than the razor-tongued responses of the owner to other reviews on this site. If you're headed to Mendocino, take your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 60, 61, or 72 -- right off the main entrance and potentially quite noisy.
8 Thank M M
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
What?

The couple you are talking about were asked not to use the jetted tub in the room they had checked into (when they used it the first time it started pouring thru the roof into our kitchen. a plumber was called right away). The next morning I'm cooking breakfast and they start using it even after they were asked not to and once again it started coming thru the ceiling!!!! When they came to breakfast the guy said we could talk about it latter. I would have probally offered them $100 for the inconvience of not using the jetted tub but they used it again!!!! I offered them $40 instead of booting them out that moment like I wanted too. The lady starts explaining the only reason they came to Mendocino was because of the Jetted tub!!!!! I told them they could accept the $40 or nothing the lady starts screaming she will get a lawyer I walked away. Then I looked back and as they were leaving she started writing in my guest book!!!!! I don't give a "F" how you feel about my inn, DON"T WRITE BAD COMMENTS IN A B&B guest book! they are not comment cards! I grabbed the book from her hands and told them to leave my house!

How would you have handeled it?

the RUDE LADY emailed me saying she had excpected a %100 refund and 2 free nights when she came downstairs!! I'm still waiting to hear from her attorney :)

Now I will say this to you......

@ Didjeridoo

And My breakfast is AWESOME!!!!
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Arriving in Mendocino late this was the only place with availability, but it was a poor experience. Before Charles starts with the 'loving kindness' stuff, I will start by saying that we are not uptight pristine travellers, and happy with budget and character places as long as they are safe, clean and provide value for money.

At $175+taxes per night, we had a lovely big room around the side of the building which we looked at in daylight. At nighttime, there is not adequate lighting and you have a negotiate a dark narrow path with steps and littered with old sports equipment.

The room itself had a comfy bed and clean sheets, but I left all my stuff in my bags as the drawers' insides were filthy in both the room and bathroom. The showerhead was falling out of the wall and the grouting/sealant disgusting. There was a nice balcony area, but what would it have taken to just sweep the leaves away or provide a brush to do so? No organic, natural toiletries provided just plain old Pantene.

On the positive side, Paula's breakfast pancakes and french toast were delicious but that's all that's good about breakfast - there are little pots of yoghurt and fruit but not enough provided, and you have to balance plates, mugs etc on your lap and be quick to grab food or you may lose out. When we were there they were busy, so actually finding a spot to sit was a challenge too! People breakfasted outside in fleeces, sitting on the floor.

While other places in Mendocino may be more chintzy and expensive, this wasn't exactly a cheap option and I feel the 'laid back' attitude is no excuse for not spending some money on the place; lighting, bathrooms, cleaning staff.

Liked the artwork and the eclectic furnishings, but there's 'shabby chic' and just plain old 'shabby and rundown' which this place is.

7 Thank McJax
" Before Charles starts with the 'loving kindness' stuff, I will start by saying that we are not uptight pristine travellers, and happy with budget and character places as long as they are safe, clean and provide value for money."

Yuck

orland
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here a couple of months ago and had a wonderful time! Hostess was very friendly and really made us feel at home. We brought our dog, Molly, who had an awesome time as well. They didn't mind her chasing her ball and sniffing very inch of their wonderful garden. Breakfast was AWESOME!!! One of the best ive ever had, and I'm a breakfast kind of girl. The thing I enjoyed the most was the honesty that I received. Let me explain. We live about 250 miles away and I left my pearl necklace and earings in the room. (I know huge mistake) The moment we got home I called the inn. Within 3 minutes of being on the phone the gal had my jewlery in her hand and was taking down my address. I received the package 2 days later. I know if this would have happened at anyother place it would have been gone. I would like to take this chance and say "Thank you " again. We will be returning to this wonderful place again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sueq711
Hi!

Thanks for all the great comments! See you next time.

California
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was taken in by the by the great reviews and the lovely website, but Didjeridoo is a didjeri don't. This place may have been nice a long time ago, but no more. And that must have been when the website photos were taken. Two words they need to learn there are "maintenance" and "service".

A little paint here and there, some basic maintenance and for crying out loud, water the garden. The beautiful garden that was let die was our first clue. The room was tacky and unkempt. A little touchup paint would go a long way. And for the price, how about some new blinds that work, and not the cheapest that Walmart sells either.

Seemingly clean, given the maintenance of everything else, I was apprehensive about the cleanliness of the bed and was fearful of what lay under the covers. And service seems to end when they get your money. One example, a request for decaf coffee in the morning was met with a curt "regular only". The included breakfast seemed ample, albeit, extremely basic. Think a pile of scrambled eggs. A pile of pancakes and a pile of sausage. And there's no table to sit and eat at. You have to sit in a chair and eat off your lap, or stand. Bon appetite.

My advice would be to look elsewhere or risk a disappointing visit to lovely Mendocino.

Room Tip: Try another place.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Brian F
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Hi!
For the past few months I've been answering bad reviews with just "Loving-Kindness". Yours, like most of the bad reviews, is more of a refflection of you than of our Inn. You talk about our garden being dead and un-watered and it's beautiful. I'm not sure where your from but we had the driest year in recorded history this year and I have water trucked in. Last year I spent 12k on water this year 3k and the only diffrence is my grass dosent look like your golf course. Next you complain about maintenence and cleanliness. Your right the blind in your room was not working. I had already ordered a new one thru selectblinds.com but they don't come in 1 day....Our place is clean, very clean. Our girls do a great job and thats all I have to say about that. I heard you ask Paula for decaf and she very politley said "we don't have any but we have a great sellection of teas and many are decaf", we care the entire TAZO tea line. The Breakfast;
Scrambled Eggs with Shitakee Mushrooms cooked in coconut oil and my eggs are always mixxed with beat sour cream cooked in organic butter, probbaly the best eggs you will ever have in your life, Chicken Apple sausage cooked in brown sugar with red chili peppers, Macadamian nut-Butter scotch Pancakes cooked in coconut oil, Wallabys Vinalla Austrailian style organic yogurt and wild blueberries from Maine, Pure Maple Syrup, Agave, Sirachi, and Orange Juice.... What did you want?