“Digjeridoo? Didjeridon't!”

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Didjeridoo? Dijeridon't!

I was given two nights stay here from a living social deal by a friend and brought my sister who owns a B&B in France. I appreciated the gift, but this place is not for the faint of heart. The other reviews have it nailed. the Innkeeper is quite rude and the place is "funky" (read not clean) we actually did not have any soap in our bathroom at all save a little bottle of herbal essence shampoo.

Our room #68 was quite small and the windows had mildew all around the inside. The bedspread smelled like mildew or dog, musty or something to the point my sis couldn't stand to have it pulled up, so we more or less froze all night. The mattress had a large dip in the middle, difficult to deal with when you are sleeping with someone you are not cuddling with!

In the morning, after not so good a night's sleep we went to get some coffee, which was more like warm water. I had to actually go to the local coffee shop to get a brew that was more suited to my palate.ALL THIS ASIDE, I was ok until I needed a toilet plunger. Seems to me in an old house, that should be standard in each room. (well soap should be too, but what do I know) I saw the Inn keeper out in the front of the house with his two dogs. I told him I was in need of a plunger. He said "have you asked Marissa?" Mind you, I had never heard of Marissa, no one had mentioned a Marissa. I said, "um, no, who is Marrissa?" He said "she's in the kitchen." Hmm. I though, you mean behind the door that says EMPLOYEES ONLY???? I said, "so I should parade through the dining room where all the guest are waiting for breakfast with a toilet plunger?" He said, in a rather unpleasant tone, "I'm not working, I'm walking my dogs, go ask Marrissa". Marrissa, who is cooking breakfast for the 12-15 guests. Sigh. I told her my plight. She apologized for the host's behavior, and said someone would bring one up. He did bring one up, and was nice about it, however it was a decorative one,like from Bed, Bath and Beyond, not an actual plumber's one that worked, so he had to go snake it, and ended up carrying a snake through the dining room in a bag during breakfast. lovely. quite embarrassing all the way around for me.

We then came to breakfast. Everyone else here is raving about the food. Frankly, we couldn't eat it. I had called ahead and told him that my sister was gluten free, and asked for oatmeal. He said he would make her some. None was to be found. Since we had been told "NO!" to every single question that we had asked before, we didn't bother asking for the oatmeal. (Can we get breakfast early the morning we are leaving? no. IS there a tub I can use? no. etc.)
Breakfast was Hazelnut pancakes with butterscotch chips. shudder. way too sweet for me. I have diabetes! Then the bacon was coated in brown sugar and pecans and baked in the oven! WHY? I had to spit it out! Why so sweet? The yogurt and blueberries looked like a good option, however is was a super sweet vanilla flavor..The eggs and mushrooms were ok, but highly spiced with red peppers.

We chose to forfeit our second night's stay and head home. I noticed on other reviews that the Innkeeper responded to many reviews with "you only paid $60 bucks for the room". Not a very good attitude. If you are not interested in providing an excellent experience for your guests, no matter what they pay, then don't put your rooms on Living Social! Don't think you can treat people poorly because they paid less than full price.

And by the way, the typos on your informational card in the room are embarrassing for you. NAMESTE is not a word. Neither is Tabbacco.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank e4lizerd
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

URG! Not another one of these - I love TripAdvisor but it really sucks when Rude, Uptight people use it in a vindictive way-

#1 our amenities; We have switched to travel size bottles of Herbal Essence Shampoo. Other Inns and hotels do not use these because they cost about $1.00 per bottle. The ones they use at Fancy branded places cost about .25 cents each and are cheap! Our soap is a great Honey-Oat soap we buy in Blocks and cut it into bars here. It's not cheap. You did have a bar in your bathroom, I snaked it out of your toilet. (they are kept decoratively in the washcloth along with the shampoo, I think you didn't notice and it fell in you toilet).

#2 Cleanliness; Our place is very clean!

#3 Breakfast; People love it!

#4 The Plunger; I was walking my dogs with no leash next to a busy street. I was in NO WAY rude to you but explained that Marissa was in the kitchen and could give you one. I let my dogs do there bizz and went in to check on the situation, Marissa told me you refused a plunger because you were to embarrassed to walk it to your room. I brought it up. At breakfast I asked if it worked out ok and you told me no and I said I would go snake it. I did. Whats Your Complaint????

#5 Nameste; Namaste is a word I just don't think it's in your vocabulary.

Finally if you read my last bad reviews, What part of "Uptight, pretentious people please stay somewhere else" don't you understand?

Charlles

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed at the Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn and we were all very happy. It felt like home. My little boy who is almost two years old had a wonderful time. He traversed our room happily, It was cute and quaint looking. We opened our windows to feel the clean ocean breeze. It was so refreshing. We even brought our little dog. It is a dog friendly inn. We saw another family with their golden lab retriever and they stayed a couple of nights as well. We were advised to get room 67 and it was a good choice for us because we had a private bathroom. We stayed using a living social special but we would gladly pay full price next time around. The breakfast was great. My husband is a professional chef was impressed with the quality and the taste of the breakfast that was served. I read some of the negative reviews and I want to point out that this is a bed and breakfast inn. It is my first time staying at one and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The house itself is over 127 years old if I remember correctly. The inn is not meant for those who think they should have new wall to wall plush carpets and white linens from a Beverly Hills Spa. Enjoy the history of the inn, the beauty of the surroundings and the wonderful breakfast served by Charles and his staff.

Room Tip: Request a room with a private bath especially if you have children
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank You, room 67 is very cute! Come again soon and really, Thank you for being our guest and enjoying yourselves!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn is a B&B that is conveniently located on the upper end of Main Street across from a nice Presbyterian church and away from the businesses. A short five to ten minute walk takes you to the small shops on lower Main Street and the trails of the Mendocino Headlands State Park with beautiful views of the Northern California coastline. A five minute walk around the corner and you can dine at Patterson's Pub, which provides excellent food and selection of beers, plus a fun atmosphere (we ate under a moose with a sombrero!). Didjeridoo serves very tasty breakfasts ranging from chocolate french toast to cinnamon pancakes, bacon with brown sugar to maple sausage, and eggs du jour, blueberries with yogurt, OJ, coffee and tea. The owners are very friendly and helpful. We had a room with a relatively high bed, so a bit difficult to get on top since we're not tall people. Otherwise, the stay was quite similar to staying with our relatives in 100-year old homes in Indiana.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi! Mendocino is a great place and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and the Breakfast too!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place was like stumbling through a chapter of a Jack Kerouac book. The place has incredible character, built in 1881 and once owned by Emmy Lou Packard, the rooms whisper tales of old. I unpacked my old suitcase and began my trip. I walked around the charming historical town and then the headlands and the beach. When I returned I was greeted by Charles who was completely and cosmically on my level without the help of my suitcase. He fit the bill on my expectations for the inn keeper of this historic mansion. I was convinced he was a mind reader as he poured me a glass of wine and motioned for me to join him on the porch for nightly ritual. We partook and smiled. Talked about life, past and future. I went to bed with the magical moonlight caressing my face. I woke up to the delicious aroma of food. When I came down stairs there was a feast arranged at a lovely table. The coffee was hot and strong. And Charles cooked the breakfast himself! It was amazing. The French toast was out of this world and the local farm fresh eggs with wild crafted mushrooms couldn't be beat. I was told an Aborigine girl taught Charles how to play the Didjeridoo on one of his journeys thus the inspiration for the naming of the place. He also played the Didjeridoo for us and mesmerized us all with it's enchanting vibrations. What a guy! What a place! What a trip! I extended my stay for a whole week and stayed in three different rooms, all wonderful. I will return to this little gem. Thank you Charles and Didjeridoo! I couldn't have pocked a better place!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks, loved having you here! But the girl who taught me the Didj was not from OZ she's a really cool American Hippy Girl!

Please come back soon :)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had purchased a two night stay for my husband and I as a Christmas gift. We arrived at the property and was surprised to be asked to pay another $15 for "taxes"...I was under the impression we had paid in full with our on line reservation. The room we were given was on the bottom floor. Starting at approximately 10:30pm the occupants of the room above us, returned to their room. The sound above us was like a herd of elephants....followed by what sounded like the occupants moving furniture around. Then about the same time, a baby started crying, and crying, and crying, and screeching, and screeching and crying and crying allllllllllllllll night. That ended about 2:30a-3:00am. Needless to say the walls are "paperthin". Then about 5:30am the baby started crying and crying and crying and crying. For about 2 more hours. We got almost no sleep at all. The property was advertised a "meditation" center and it was nothing even close. At about 7:30a the next morning I went to Charles and asked him if there was another room we could move to. He said NO. I explained to him what had happeded the night before and his response was "What do you want me to do about it". He seemed like he didn't care at all. He did say he would talk to the people, but our feeling was that the situation was not going to get better. I politely asked him for a refund for our room for the second night and he basically laughed in my face and said absolutely NO. It went from bad to worse! I said well I guess Trip Advisor and Living Social will hear from me, and his response was "WELL I HOPE YOU LEAVE". We did. (Later when we returned to the Inn to retrieve our things, Charles said he talked to the family (with 3 kids) the baby and told them they would have to leave if they baby was loud again-we did not believe he would kick out a family with 3 kids in the middle of the night). Why is a family with 3 kids staying in a one bedroom place in the first place??) We did not need to stay at a place where the keeper was so rude and hositle toward us. We have NEVER in our lives forefeited a room and went to stay at another place. We left and went to McCullum House where they 1) gave us a recduced rate on the room, 2) a Complimentary bottle of wine, 3) $14.00 of food credit in their restaurant, and 4) a 5 star free breakfast for each of us. We learned that there used to be a connection between the Didjeridoo and McCullum House but McCullum house cut their lease with Didjeridoo becasue Didjeridoo refuse to do repairs and upgrades to the property. So my suggestion is you get what you pay for: Go to McCullum House and enjoy your stay in Mendocino a whole lot more.

5  Thank debshaeffer
Didj-Inn, General Manager at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Note: This review was written by the wife of the person who wrote the last review....

Hi,

I was just going to write back the same as i wrote to you Hubby but your review is SO off;

You bought a living social voucher and it states ON THE VOUCHER you pay the tax!
The walls are not "paper thin" and my apartment is on the side of where you were staying so my wife and I would have heard the same noise. There was a little noise when they checked in but that was it!

7:30 you walked up and, asked to talk and i asked if it could be after I mad breakfast for 24 people. You said no we needed to "talk" then and you proceeded to demand another room or a refund or you would give us a terrible review on Tripadvisor. I don't work like that and don't appreciate the meanness you were showing. I told you I would not refund you and you said you would stay elsewhere.... I like 99% of my guest but when 1 of the 1% who are SO RUDE, threaten me with a bad review and then that they will stay else where if they don't get back their 60 bucks (really that's what you payed!!!) I reply with things like "Well I hope you leave".

Now, like i wrote to your husband, Didjeridoo is not for Uptight, Pretentious people....

Ps. The Mac house had this place for 8 years before leaving it in bad shape to center on their Hill House property but it's getting better and ALOT of people LOVE it!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife purchased a two night stay as a Christmas gift for me. We checked into a small room that screamed for an update. There were numerous spots on the walls that would benefit from a five minute paint touch up and the carpet was dirty and old. The most fun occured when a family checked into the room over ours with three small children. When we checked in the mgmt forgot to mention this small detail to us. Throughout the evening it sounded like they were moving around the furniture. Several hours later they quieted down until about 5am when a small child screamed for 45 minutes. The next morning my wife politely asked about moving to another room due to the above issue as I took a cold shower due to no hot water. She was met with a hostile attitude by the owner. She then asked for a refund for one night and was flatly told no, and that we could just leave if we did not like the inn. Well, thats just what we did and we spent a fantastic night at the MacCallum house right down the street. This place is a dump with poor management. Its a sad excuse for a bed and breakfast that should shut its doors.

5  Thank Pete S
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed the Mac House. You are right about a couple of things in your awful review of us but you left out a couple things also......

I did refuse to refund you - True
The people above you did check in at 10pm, with 3 children - True

You paid half price to stay - Not Mentioned
You Immediately threatened to give me a bad review if you weren't refunded - Not Mentioned

Didjeridoo is not a white glove Inn, It's homey, friendly and casual. It's not for everyone.

PLEASE Pretentious, Uptight people STAY SOME WHERE ELSE.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed over presidents weekend which was my husband's birthday. Charles the inn keeper is very friendly and hospitible, and other reviews are right he is a gormet cook!! (and I know good food my husband was a chef) our two little Boston Terriers were very welcome, and the last thing that Charles said before we departed was "your little dogs put a smile on my face." what a good feeling to leave with... I would definetly stay again, in fact I've already chosen the room I want when we can make the trip back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Your Dogs were so CUTE!!! Thanks for enjoying and come back soon!!!