“First time to Mendocino”

Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Didjeridoo Inn- great breakfasts; helpful hosts who guided us to dog-friendly restaurants and hikes. RIght across street is the beach. Dog-Friendly. Would definitely stay there again.
Plus - got a didjeridoo performance by Miranda - excellent!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Our location is Great for people and dogs. We luv dogs here. I have 2 Corgi's (Morgi and Comptche). Miranda is such a great Didj player! Thanks for having a good time :)

There are newer reviews for Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn

Reviewed October 24, 2012

4 of us took a last minute trip to Mendocino and decided since it was mid week not to book in advance. When we pulled into town at 3:30, we saw the Didjeridoo Inn & Sweetwater Inn but decided to see if we could get a last minute rate at one of the more expensive deluxe Inns. The 2 on the top of our list were sold out and the garden units at the Mendocino Hotel were still way overpriced even with a $100 discount. So we decided to check out the Didjeridoo and Sweetwater. The 2 rooms we were shown at the Didjeridoo #62 & #72 were both really nice and soooooo much nicer than the Mendocino Hotel I was sold. The owner was extremely nice and offered to hold the rooms while we checked out the B & B next door. Our friends decided to stay at the Sweetwater in the 2nd floor main house Victorian Style view room and we took room # 72 at the Didjeridoo. The outside entry meant our room was very quiet. The room had a more modern clean style which I really liked with a fireplace, in room jetted tub and separate shower in the bathroom. the king size bed was very comfortable although the comforter was a bit too warm. If we had stayed another night I would have asked for a 2nd lighter blanket instead of using the down comforter. Can't say enough how excellent the breakfast was the owner was also kind enough to let our friends join us for breakfast. Another nice thing about the Inn is the easy walk to the beach along the river. We will stay here again but will book in advance if it is a busier time as I am sure this place sells out.

Room Tip: Room 62 in the main house has a very pretty sitting area in a bowed out window area on the main floo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelmystic

Thank You!
Glad you enjoyed and hope you stay again.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

read some negative reviews before getting to Didgeridoo Dreamtime and after staying decided that there are some people who you're just not going to please no matter how hard you try.
Yes - breakfasts are at a set time but what a great way to meet other travellers/guests and hear what they've done and recommend, also the breakfasts are great... bacon with pecans who'd have thought?? and the yogurt was lovely (I don't particularly like yogurt) - the room we stayed in was cosy but had a lovely view of the church and towels and bedding are changed on request. I think sometimes we forget our footprint when we travel and knowing that fresh linen's available when needed is just fine...
someone had commented on the scruffy garden - we 'brits' call it a cottage garden and was lovely. Had a great stay here and would recommend it as a base to discover the Mendocino coast and red woods - also went kayaking up the Big River. Great experience.
Thanks Charles and staff for a lovely stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi! Thanks for enjoying Didjeridoo. Some people are looking for a little more up-scaled place than we offer but they like our price, most people like our price and our place :)
Bacon: place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, lay thick bacon side by side, take 1/2 dark organic brown sugar & 1/2 chopped up organic pecans mixed up and spread a thin layer over the bacon, Bake @ 375 for about 35 minutes or until it looks done. It's GOOD.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Charles in Charge - felt like we were staying with family!

Was in town for my best friend's wedding last weekend, and so we had the whole place booked with close friends. Beautiful property with sweet smelling garden, large comfortable bed and fireplace. We stayed in Room #61, in the front of the house. Great light, high ceilings and cool hottub right in the room.

And - the breakfast was.... AMAZING!!!!! Great coffee. Loved the caramelized bacon and chocolate babka french toast. Cute & tasty little yogurt and fruit cups.

Oh - and we got a great deal on the price too. Would highly recommend to anyone who is heading to the Mendocino area. Walk to shops, restaurants, beach, trails.

Super friendly staff. Dog friendly. Felt safe and comfortable.

LOVED it, enough said.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

You guys were GREAT!!! What a fun weekend! Your pictures are very cool too! See ya soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have now stayed at this remarkable inn three times over the past two years and highly recommend this as a great place to make your home while in Mendocino. I found the company in the morning at breakfast invigorating and learned a lot about the area while speaking with Charles the proprietor. The breakfasts were some of the best I have ever been served and if you are lucky on some Sundays Charles dive to get abalone for a special meal? Not to be missed. The rooms range from cozy Victorian to larger nearly suite size. I have stayed in a range of the rooms and they were kept clean and very comfortable. I look forward to my next visit and have found myself returning again and again while traveling in Northern California. A terrific home on the road!

Room Tip: for saving money, the smaller rooms on the top floor but for added space the water tower or for priv...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

I'm looking forward to your next stay too!

Charles @ Didjeridoo

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I loved this place. Our charming, two story, "water tower" room was clean and had a wood stove, a microwave, and a small refrigerator. The breakfast was some of the best we'd had in three weeks of traveling in CA. The atmosphere was relaxed and casual. Fresh gourmet coffee was available all day long and the owner was more than happy to help us find local attractions like the prettiest beaches. This B&B is clearly a labor of love-a soulful stay in Mendocino.

Room Tip: Ask about the "water Tower"
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank You! The water tower is cool and we will be redecorating and painting it this winter. I think it's perfect for a couple with a younger child who want to be in the same space but with a little separation. Thanks for liking my breakfast too!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

While every body's expectations will be different, this place did not meet mine in quite a few ways. We make a point of trying to stay in individually run B&Bs, to try and support local businesses, so any comparisons made in this review are to these and not to a chain hotel. I recognise that everyone has different standards, so have uploaded photo's so that you can also form your own opinion and not just rely on mine. In our 15 day california roadtrip this is the only place that we stayed that we found disappointing.

On entering, I was wary based on the poorly maintained lobby and stairwell. However, Danielle who greeted us was friendly, so I hoped for better things in our room.

By the end of my stay my opinion was that the building was shabby and poorly maintained. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable and the sheets were not as clean as I would have liked. The bathroom was tiny and dated. The sea view was more of a glimpse and not worth the extra money.

By my standards, service was inflexible. On arrival we were told breakfast is at 9 - not from 9, or until 9, but at 9. We had to leave by then to catch a flight home, so asked if there was any chance of an earlier breakfast. Danielle said this should be fine, and we agreed to check our flight time, and let her know. When we finally managed to find someone again (after another guest phoned them - see later) we were told in no uncertain terms that they were cooking breakfast for 25 people and that they certainly couldn't accommodate a "special breakfast". We weren't offered toast and coffee, or even a piece of fruit. I've never stayed anywhere that has had this kind of rule. This was not stated in our booking confirmation or at any point prior to booking, nor is it on the website. As we left the next morning, 2 other couples were also leaving - and all commented on breakfast. There clearly is demand for more flexible breakfast times.

The innkeepers are not based on site, and leave a phone number for you to contact them. This does not help those (like us) who are travelling from abroad with mobile phones that don't work on american frequencies.

Overall, for the £90 we paid I think this was very poor value. There are plenty of places to stay in Mendocino - we were offered better rates at The Nicholson Inn, The Seagull Inn, Blair House and John Dougherty Inn, and rooms at a couple of pounds more at the Agate Cove Inn and Packard House B&B. Chose Didjeridoo because of the sea views - and ended up regretting it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ripleygirl
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Hello,

Well those are the grainiest pictures I have ever seen. 66 is a beautiful room and the view is a fine view of the church with the ocean behind it but on a foggy day the ocean drops out.

We serve breakfast around 9am until everyone has eaten and we get great reviews of our breakfast. You were leaving at 7am and maybe your travel plans are very strict, but I was unwilling to come in at 6:30, you are right. When you asked about toast at 9pm that night I told you I had already been to the market and had no bread but could leave you granola and milk (I did and it was left uneaten). We do live on-site and our number to call if we aren't in the lobby is posted in your room, on our office entry and at the entry of the front door so I don't know why you were not able to get ahold of me????

Finally,

At Didjeridoo we cater to the 99% not the 1%.

Ps. You are our first Complaint from Europe EVER! :) We love Europeans