“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

The Macallum House is set in a wonderful locatiopn of the world - stunning cliffs and amazing sunsets. My wife & I visisted for our anniversary and wanted some peace and quiet which is largely what we got. We stayed in one of the luxury suites which were nice but not quite luxury. It would have been very peaceful had it not been for the large wedding going on that weekend and an additional smaller wedding happening right outside our room. Noisy neighbors do not help either as there isnt much sound proofing.
Overall a worthwhile visit due to location and setting but might not be the peace and quiet you could be looking for.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

I'm reluctant to give too good of a review, for fear of others finding out about this gem!

I found them mostly accomodating. The dinner was spectacular (ahi tuna, the double burgers (gourmet-ish) -- good wine.

The breakfast that came with our weekend package left much to be desired (Egg Macbenedict), but I admit I wish I tried the corncake pancakes!

Our suite (not part of the main house) was lovely, no view...and right next to a cemetary. big deal? nanh. A 7-minute walk to the main house, and a 3 minutes walk to the mainstreet area. Loved the huge tub and fireplace.

This is a not a fancy resort, but defintely a luxury-like bed and breakfast. Will go back agan for sure!

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

We recommened this bed and breakfast to everyone. Great breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. Have plans to stay there again.. Thank you!!!!

Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

I have lived in California for 58 years, in the SF Bay Area for 46 of those, and I had never been to Mendocino. MacCallum House accommodations provided a fabulous experience. Especially appreciated were the little touches such as internet access and refrigerator in lobby w/drinks as well as the wonderful breakfasts and wine hour and dining experience at the restaurant. The staff, all of them, were helpful and courteous. We had a delightful room - The Greenhouse - and I look forward to experiencing other rooms in the future. I will definitely highly recommend McCallum House to family and friends.

By the way, not being familiar w/Mendocino I used the internet to
determine where to stay and their website sold me. Their web designer and the photographer did a stunning job.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

I didn't stay at the hotel, but had dinner here. I was looking forward to a nice dining experience but was quite disappointed with the staff. The waiter had told us about the special for the evening, a salad with ahi tuna. my date and I were excited to try the ahi tuna but instead we were served a salad with salmon. I pointed this out to the waiter, and he replied by saying that the kitchen must have changed the order on him. Was he hoping that I wouldn't notice?? overall, i did not like the food or the experience at the restaurant.

Stayed June 2005
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2005

First let me say that we usually stay in a Garden room at the Mendocino Hotel, when we go to Mendocino for the Mushroom & Wine Festival Dinner at the MacCallum House. This special dinner is prepared by MacCallum chef Alan Kantor, featuring a different mushroom in every course, including dessert (Candy Cap Mushroom cookies, they are amazing). This event also features a boutique wine from Graziano Family Vineyards (Hopland, CA) paired with each course. Trust me, the meal is to die for and so is the wine. We have attended this special event for 4 or 5 years now, and like being able to stay in town within walking distance of the MacCallum because we are so sated with food and wine that we would never try drive after such a meal. This time we decided to stay at the MacCallum House because I wanted to tweak the whole experience just a bit. I am so glad we did. I loved the room we stayed in (the Jean MacCallum). It had a lovely bright atmosphere, very comfortable bed and was well furnished. It was not dreary like the Garden room at the Mendocino Hotel, although I must say that room was larger. Just outside the door of the Jean MacCallum room, in a cozy sitting area, was a small refrigerator with complimentary water and juice. They had thought of everything! I will definitly stay at the MacCallum House again. I will try to stay in every room, except the Donald MacCallum, which they claim to be haunted. :-)

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank SunDapple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#2 of 2 in Little River
Little River Inn
Little River Inn
#1 of 2 in Little River

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!