“Lovely old place with excellent food”

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in Redwood Cottage, which is a tiny cabin in the grounds, with it's own private garden and hot tub. The cabin was very compact but had everything we needed and was tastefully furnished. There down points were that the toilet seat had three large unsightly chip marks in it, that looked as if they were from wear and tear rather than recent. The inside of the front door had lots of deep unsightly scratches on it, most likely from a dog. Come on MacCallum House, you need to fix these things immediately! Our cabin was almost opposite the kitchen exit, which was not unsightly as it was screened by a wooden fence but we were woken up by clanking bottles at 8:00 am in the morning, which is why I've only ticked average for quality of sleep.

The service was excellent, as was the food in the restaurant. We had been on the road for more than a week, surviving on the appalling fatty and sugary food that is the only thing available everywhere so dinner here was a gourmet delight. We had two starters, two mains, one pre dinner drink and a bottle of Pinot Noir and the bill with service was $170. The breakfast includes a main dish and coffee. If you want juice, you have to pay extra. When we signed the chit for the dinner bill and orange juice bill at breakfast, we added an amount for service. When we signed the credit card bill for these costs as we booked out, the credit card slip asked for service again. Make sure that you don't pay for service twice.

Would we stay here again? Yes definitely. I would recommend staying here at least two nights if you have a cottage with a garden and hot tub so that you can take full advantage of it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrixtongirlLondon

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My son and I stayed at the MacCallum House for three nights last week. After reading the website prior to booking, we got the impression that the house was a bed and breakfast. Not entirely so- we learned that it's advertised as a boutique hotel. That explained the snootiness.

The main house itself is a historical building, charming from the outside with its beautiful gardens. We frequently saw hummingbirds whizzing through the flowers, although none were keen to take a photo. It's on a quiet street in the middle of Mendocino, close to anything in the town you'd want to visit. We loved walking down the street and onto the bluffs for a great view of the cliffs and ocean.

Our room, the Attic Suite (#6), was located on the building's third floor. The fitting description is: it's very old, but not really a 'homely' kind of old. There are some nice modern conveniences, but in the end you can tell that the house was built in the 1800s judging by the wear that the room has gone through. It was big, and my son and I each liked having our own room to sleep in. The slopes of the roof make you feel like you're sleeping in a birdhouse. But beware the low-lying ceilings to avoid head bumps. There's a nice window in the living area that looks out onto the town and the ocean beyond- which is really a lovely view when it's not completely shrouded in fog ;) . The beds were not super comfortable, but they were sufficient enough. There's a nice fireplace in the sitting area that is controlled by the thermostat- it works really well but can get loud when it kicks on at night- not a problem if you've closed the door to your room but it might be bothersome for someone sleeping on the pull-out couch right next to it. Another thing to be aware of: the big ocean view window always has a light shining through it (one that's supposed to light up the exterior of the house), 24/7. You can pull a shade down to minimize the effect, but again it might annoy the resident of the pull-out couch. The bathroom was, again, clearly old. Showering was not the most luxurious experience in the world, but it's fine. We noticed that the tub did have jets if you wanted to take a bath.
They did have in-room WiFi which worked pretty well- and it was free! That was very nice. Overall, the room was good enough, but it was less adorable than it looked online.

Our first impressions were good, but as we stayed longer we noticed an aura of prissiness throughout the MacCallum House. It wasn't so much due to the attitude of the staff (there was a very nice woman running the check-in desk), as it was to the little hiccups we ran into throughout our stay. Like for our first breakfast. This was when we realized that this place wasn't a bed and breakfast. You don't exactly get a 'free breakfast'- you get a free breakfast entree. There are maybe 8 or so to choose from on the menu, and you get coffee or tea along with that. But everything else costs extra. I ordered the parfait that first breakfast (which happened to be the cheapest thing on the menu) and asked the waiter if I could get a piece of sourdough toast to go along with it (which, from a price perspective, would have cost just as much as getting the most expensive complimentary entree), but was told it was not possible. That wouldn't happen in a real bed and breakfast. Also, orange juice isn't included- you have to pay an extra 4 dollars a glass! Who doesn't include orange juice in a complimentary breakfast? So we sucked it up and shared a glass every morning. Overall, however, the food in the restaurant (we only ate breakfast there- dinner was absolutely outrageously priced) was very good- they have a right to advertise their restaurant so heavily. Our favorite dish was the cornmeal pancakes.

And there were other ridiculous things that popped up- like having to pay crazy prices for the items in the minibar-type area in the room or the bath soaps that cost 69 dollars to take home with you. I mean, they did give us a free third night when we booked so we could have afforded the extra food and such, but it just felt like we were being nickeled and dimed throughout the time we were there. And coming in with the assumption that it was a bed and breakfast, it really wasn't a great experience. Then again, if I had thought it was a boutique hotel I might have expected all those charges. Maybe I was misinformed by the website or I misread what I saw on the website- who knows. Still, in any setting, it doesn't feel right to charge your guests for every little thing. In reality, we kind of got that whole snooty vibe from the entire town of Mendocino, where everything was drastically overpriced- so maybe you can't escape it no matter where you stay.

Overall, it wasn't horrible, but I didn't quite feel like a valued guest. It wouldn't have been worth it if I had paid for that third night, and we wouldn't stay here again. If you don't mind the oodles of extra charges (essentially, if you're not expecting a bed and breakfast), the MacCallum House is really a charming property and there are better rooms for couples (requiring two beds, our options were limited). And it's in a beautiful coastal area: there are plenty of hikes and adventures to be had just a few minutes drive north or south. And try to come when it's sunny- the fog gets real old, real fast.

Room Tip: The Attic Suite (room 6) is away from most noise and has a great window/view, but is up two flights...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank go4platinum
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Booked this last minute after desperately needing a night away, wow! The house itself was beautiful with gorgeous lawn and garden. Booked the water tower room. Smaller than I thought(picture is slightly deceiving how big it is. Building attached is a separate cottage) 3 stories, do not book if stairs are not your friend, but if you don't mind it's well worth it for the view and fun every floor is something different.

Bottom floor you actually can shine light over the old well that's covered pretty neat. Fireplace two beds, and the jacuzzi tub was amazing! Sauna was a let down very tiny! I'm not a petite woman and my husband is 6'2" so it was not relaxing feeling like a pretzel. But taking turns worked out fine.

Hot to order breakfast was a treat, breakfast burrito was delicious! We normally go to Timber Cove Inn and St Orres...but now we're going back here instead for my birthday in August and really looking forward to it!!! The Upper Barn suite next, gorgeous! A must in Mendocino, thank you!

Room Tip: Water tower...not too many places you can sleep in one, on top of that a sauna, jacuzzi tub for 2 a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia P
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked into the Donald MacCallum room in the main house, selecting this smaller one after reading the other two which were available were above the bar/restaurant so may have some noise on Weekend evenings. We arrived and the room was small, but charming. The dresser space was limited (the draws were, literally, crammed full with the extra blankets and pillows for the room and barely opened) and there is no wardrobe, but hooks to hand things up on. These weren't big issues for me. However, we could hear some bar noise, but it wasn't too bad. This was until about 6pm when we realized we were above the kitchen and the extractor hood went on which, it has to be said, meant there was no bar noise! he kitsch noise drowned it out.... We'd just flown in from the east coast so an early night was on the books and, with some pharmaceutical assistance, I slept through until about 5:30-6am, when the breakfast staff arrived and started chopping! the fan went on at about 7am and we had breakfast early but then talked to the front desk. They were really apologetic and offered us another room, at a discount, for the remaining night and at no charge for the third night (the promotion which was on when we were there, regardless of the room). We looked at 3 rooms in the MacCallum Suites, a short walk from the top of Mendocino and still close to everything. We chose room 32, the Honeymoon Suite and, I have to say, it did make up for the first night! The view from the balcony is amazing, there is a soaking tub and it is very quiet! For the remaining two morning we walked down to an early breakfast, which was really great, and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I'd skip the Donald MacCallum room…..
1  Thank Bronnley
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Each cottage and room at MacCallum House is different so I am reviewing them as I stay in them.

Room 7, the Gazebo Playhouse cottage, is cute. However, for some reason, maybe to keep the original structure historically accurate and intact, the private bathroom is in a separate structure behind it. This is sort of interesting, except when you need, like I do, to make at least two trips to the bathroom during the night. Then, the "cute" part wears thin.

So, here are the pros and cons of the Gazebo Playhouse:

Pros -
-Hummingbirds love the plants to the side and across from the Gazebo, as well as the flowering plants on the walkway to the main house entrance. At least three or four hummingbirds feed at these plants and chase away intruders all day. They are great fun to watch.

-The room is small and dark, so the place to sit and relax is at the table and chairs on the front porch. It has an overhang so is probably okay to sit on even in rainy weather. From the porch, you can watch people walk by and hear what's going on even a block or two away. There is a patch of lawn across the walkway with a table and chairs so if you have a gathering, it can spill across to there. Do be aware that if you sit there in the evening and have the lights on inside and the door open, people going by on the street can see right in to the room.

-There are nice bathrobes to wear during your stay and complementary shampoo, conditioner, and body wash to use in the shower.

-The off-street parking is just a few steps away. The local co-op organic grocery store is a short walk away, as is a small deli. Downtown is very close by.

-Breakfast is served in the on-site restaurant just a few steps away.

Cons -
-The detached bathroom is very small. The door is locked to keep anyone else from using it so you need your key every time you use it.

There is no window that opens or obvious vent fan or duct so it gets steamy when you shower. My compliments to the housekeepers for keeping it clean. If my bathroom at home had no vent fan or window I could open, it would turn into a mold-fest very quickly. I did feel some air come in under the door when I was there but that's the only ventilation I could find. Towels that are hung up overnight do not dry.

There is not much space for toiletries and the sink is tiny. The window in the shower has a tiled sill and it slopes downward for drainage purposes so I suggest not using it as a shelf as items will fall into the shower.

There are some hooks on the walls for robes and other items, though I recommend you keep your clothes in the room and wear the bathrobe to and from your shower.

Do cover up with a robe or clothes as the windows for the restaurant are right there and people can see you. (Note: I suggest you also wear slippers or some other type of slip-on shoes or sandals or flip-flops to protect your feet when you walk to and from the bathroom).

You could prop the door open to air it out while you are there but note that the people in the restaurant can see in.

When you use the bathroom at night, turn on the outside light (the switch is to the right of the room door as you go out) as you leave the room as though there are lights on in the area, the stairs to the deck where the bathroom is are in shadow if this light is not turned on. Turn this light off when you return to the room.

The lights are above the toilet and to the side of the mirror so the lighting quality is terrible if you wish to apply makeup.

-There are spotlights that light up the outside of MacCallum House at night and this light is visible through the curtains so if you need a dark room in order to sleep, this is not the room for you.

-There are only two lights in the room, so its rather dark inside and too easy to lose track of things.

-There is a mirror on the dresser in the room but the lighting quality is terrible so if you want to put on makeup, it is a challenge.

-There is a well pump and water tank to the west of the room and you can hear the noise from these at night if you have the window on that side of the room cracked open for ventilation. The refrigerator in the room also turns on and off at times and the noise, though quiet and in the background, could be annoying.

In general, the room is okay to stay in. The bed is comfortable and the porch is nice to sit on.

However, if you prefer an en-suite bathroom like I do, this room is not for you. There are other cottages and rooms at MacCallum House that are better than this one.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Titan1
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I reviewed the MacCallum House restaurant separately because we were so impressed with our meals there. The highly-regarded chef has been there a long time and it's a testament to him and the staff how well the food has kept up with the times so expertly. But this is about the inn, which also was a great pleasure. "Trifecta" refers to the rare combination of great accommodations in a great setting with a great restaurant. All the rooms are different, from what I can tell, which adds a lot of interest to the stay (as well as the booking). Ours was in the old converted barn, so it featured heavy wooden beams and a remarkable old, heavy door from the early times, topped by a large hand saw relic from the days when logging was the industry around that part of California. In addition to the old touches was a large, modern bathroom with spa tub and a separate sauna. Plus a large sitting area with chairs, sofa and large screen TV, and a hot tub on the fenced-in patio. Our room had only a hint of a view but other rooms have very nice views of Mendocino Bay and the rugged coast. The king-sized bed and wonderful pillows gave both of us a long, uninterrupted night's sleep. i know where I'm staying next time in Mendocino.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a view, note the room descriptions on the website or ask in advance. (We...
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I made a trip down the Pacific Coast Highway from Seattle to San Diego. We used Trip Advisor to determine where to stay while on the road.
We stayed in one of the offsite properties. The room was very nice and quiet. They gave us keys to the rooms available in the house. Both rooms were very nice with amenities that made it hard to pick. The breakfast menu had several excellent options. The food was excellent!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#2 of 2 in Little River
Brewery Gulch Inn
Brewery Gulch Inn
#1 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!