“Maybe great at some point but no longer”

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
San Leandro, California
“Maybe great at some point but no longer”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I trying to spend a quite weekend in Mendocino. Shock number 1: beware of the suites at Macallum House Inn. Just when you finally want to stop driving, you find that they are located 4 long blocks away of the main building almost outside of town. That means you walking out in the cold to get to your included breakfast, enjoy the bar, or the sitting room. I booked through Expedia and of course no one notified us about this. After paying over $200 for a night, I requested to be moved to a room in the actual building and that was a nightmare. We finally had to settle for a different room for each of the 2 nights we were there.

Shock number 2: if you like to dine in, make sure you eat early as their kitchen closed at 8:30 p.m. on a Friday evening. This, my wife and I found out, after a very long drive arriving in Mendocino. Not good.

Did I also mentioned: moldy walls in the Water Tower room, ants in the Jennie Blair, and $4 for a glass of orange juice (not included in the breakfast). How cheap can you get?

So, given the beauty of the property, this was at some point a great place to stay, but it was certainly our last.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We just spent a magical mini vacation at MacCallum house Inn and give it our highest recommendation. Everything from the comfortable rooms to the staff was perfect. We spent three sunny days, whale watching and tasting the endless culinary offerings of the coast, including the fabulous breakfasts included with our room. The staff was so kind and friendly, we felt completely at home without any of the work or stress! Our dog was welcome, there was even a little pillow and dish left in the room for her. The breakfasts are copious, varied and creative, and the dinner menu scrumptious.
We absolutely felt pampered. We definitely hope to make it a regular stress-relieving stay!

Room Tip: We love the Jedediah Smith two-bedroom rental, but are reluctant to recommend it lest it not be avai...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank JohnandClaudine
Windsor, California
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We come to Mendo once a year, usually for my wife's birthday in March.

We have always stayed at the MacCallum House.

This most recent visit was disappointing. We had booked Room 26 back in November. When I checked in on Wednesday, I got the keys and drove to the suites property. When I got there, I realized I had keys for room 25. I drove back to the main house, and told the girl there that she gave me the wrong keys. She insisted that I had booked room 25, which I hadn't, but then told me there was a maintenance issue (flooding) with room 26. She said I could keep 25, or get Room 29 upstairs, next to the Napolean room. We had stayed in the Napolean Room once, and had issues with the fireplace, and my wife wanted the hot tub, so we stayed in 25, even though I wouldn't call it a "suite," as there is only one room, other than the water closet containing the toilet.

Room 25 doesn't even compare to 26, however. The hot tub turned out to be tiny, and took forever to get hot. We were wrinkled before it ever warmed up. The "yard" is tiny and has no view, except of the building next door. The bed is all sunken in, in the middle, and is obvioulsy pretty old. There's no couch or love seat, and only one comfortable chair, facing a wall The light switches are impossible to figure out, especially since one of the bulbs was burned out (would it be so hard to label the switches?). It's apparently impossible to turn on the light in the bathroom sink area, w/o turing on the light in front of the closet. So, good luck when one person want to be at the sink/mirror, and the other wants to sleep. Speaking of the bathroom sink, it has a very slow drain, and is poorly designed. It's very difficult to use w/o making a mess. The towel rod next to the shower is almost off the wall, and the room didn't appear to have been cleaned very well, if at all, before we checked in. There was a disgustingly nasty comb in the drawer in the bathroom area. The room was cleaner the 2nd day. But still, the floor in front of the toilet in the tiny water closet is either dirty or stained, and the tub looks dirty, too. The room is a mishmash of decors, none of which really fit this building, and the chairs at the table are uncomfortable. Also, the ceiling looked dirty, and the walls had been sloppily painted.

I don't know when Room 26 flooded, but if it was before we arrived, someone should have contacted us. If it was the same day we were arriving, the front desk should have known , and the proper greeting at check in would have been something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, but unfortunately, Room 26 has a maintenance issue and is unavailable. We can offer you the following rooms..." This would have been much better than trying to tell us we had booked the wrong room. Although we did appreciate the offer to move to the higher-priced room upstairs.

Add to this that there was no free breakfast like there used to be, and no dinner/drink vouchers, or even an open restaurant for dinner, and the only real saving grace was the beautiful weather we had while there. I was unimpressed by my dinner last year, anyway (burger with a huge slab of unmelted cheese, and fries that were allegedly "chipotle fries" that could not have been more bland).

This place has really slipped, and we will probably stay elsewhere in Mendocino next year.

Room Tip: Print out your confirmation, and take with you, so you can show them, when they try to tell you that...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sonomamon
MendoFan1, General Manager at MacCallum House Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I have been in contact with these guests in regards to this stay with us. I apologized that they did have an enjoyable experience unlike previous visits. They will be returning in the future to stay in room #26. Unfortunately that room had experienced water damage that is now fixed. We always prefer that our guests stay in the room they had originally chosen at the time of booking. We look forward to having them back.
Sonoma, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Our room was excellent, it felt like home. Some of the small details/polish lacking. Things like doors that stick or didn't shut, etc. Good location. A little odd checking in at a separate location, we did arrive at our spot first only to discover that we would have to go somewhere else to check in. Their restaurant was our favorite for food and service that we experienced while up there, but the wine list fell short of their competition. Helped some other travelers with their bags up the steep steps of the main building while the (restaurant?) host simply looked on, hence the knock for service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We love staying in Mendocino over Christmas, staying the 24th and 25th for a full romantic visit. We've stayed at the MacCallum House many times over the years, mostly staying in one of the cottages. As we've gotten older and less mobile, they were too small for comfort so tried the MacCallum Suites up on a hill away from the main house. I cannot handle stairs and have poor balance so ground floor units are our choice. I selected a "Premiere" unit on the ground floor, the Spa Suite Rm 33. Imagine my dismay when entering the suite to find the bath and coffee bar were on the ground level, but the bedroom was down two steps! It meant up and down steps all night. We tried to find another unit but everything was booked. My husband never undressed for the night as he was afraid I'd fall on the stairs. I didn't, but it was the worst Christmas Eve ever! And we didn't even use the gorgeous spa tub, outdoor hot tub, or the sauna. As a note, there is no desk or table for writing unless you use the one outside on the deck -- but there is room for one in a corner by the windows.

I have to say that the always charming Herman Seidell, General Manager, was very accommodating and sympathized with our dilemma, and released us from an obligatory second night there.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Latchicoe
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I spent New Years Eve at MacCallum house and could not have been happier with our experience. We stayed in one of the on property cottages with our own hot tub. The only downside to the tirp was that the hot tub did not work, but otherwise we loved it here. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and everyone was very helpful. Our room was spacious and clean with comfortable beds. The Inn was pet friendly as well. The real highlight of our stay here though was the food. The breakfast is amazing, and our dinner there on NYE was to die for! We would highly recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jessica s
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My Family and I recently returned to the MacCallum house suites and had an amazing relaxing weekend getaway with our extended family.
My son said that the beds were like sleeping on clouds and I agree. I got two great nights of sleep on the fluffy white comfortable beds. The rooms are always super clean and each time we return I notice new furniture and art work and updated amenities. The fireplace heater kept us super toasty and the flat screen tv Is a nice modern touch. The wifi was excellent we had better Internet speed there then we get where we live. The great thing about visiting Mendocino is that it is beautiful every time of year. The Mac suites and main hotel are right in town nestled amidst all of the shops and cafe's and there is a delicious restaraunt with sustainable local fair right in the main Mac house hotel. I can't wait to return soon for another visit.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Lovethecalcoast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#2 of 2 in Little River
Hill House Inn
Hill House Inn
#15 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!