“A truely romantic gem...”

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the MacCallum house for our first time about 5 years ago...an engagement getaway, we were charmed by the beautiful coastal town of Mendocino. What great charm and feel that place has. Very relaxing and romantic. To us, the MacCallum house is THE main attraction in Mendocino - the classy look, feel, quality and comfort of the historic MacCallum properties are absolutely praise worthy. The properties and rooms all have a charming history you can feel, while delivering very comfortable rooms and beds, cozy wood fireplaces in some (wood provided!) and nice bathrooms with luxury bath products (L'Occitane!). Their suites are really nice - one we stayed in had a huge whirlpool tub, sauna as well as a hot tub on the deck!

The main house has an amazing restaurant, which we feel is the best in Mendocino. We tried all of the other good restaurants (like Café Beaujolais which is good) but we ultimately feel the MacCallum House restaurant is the best. Their breakfast is amazing as well.

We had such a good time during our stay at the MacCallum house, it' has become one of our regular destination. Whenever we feel like getting away on fairly local, romantic, and relaxing weekend - Mendocino and the MacCallum house is it.

Check out our pictures...

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for MacCallum House Inn

Reviewed October 12, 2013

An extremely fine establishment, with the best BEST restaurant in the Village. ....hospitable staff, who clearly have been well trained in FINE DINING. ....food quality consistently good. Rooms are beautifully maintained. The grounds around the main property are heavenly....and only a short walk tp the ocean and the Village shopping. A romantic get a way, close to the Bay Area, and certainly worth the time it takes to get there, regardless of your home location. Do not miss out on the MacCallum House.!!!! You will not be sorry !!!!

Room Tip: The SUITES at the top of the Hill are exceptionally nice.......and particularly good for group gathe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

As a biz traveller who spends 90 nights away from home. At hotels all over the world. This is the best of the best 10 stars!!
The staff is amazing! The rooms are spectacular. If you want an unforgettable amazing life
Altering weekend go to the Mac house!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I recently celebrated a friend's birthday with a stay at the MacCallum House. Everything was perfect - the picturesque town, stunning views, charming room, comfy beds, and wonderful meal at the restaurant. Although breakfast is included, I would call the MacCallum House an Inn rather than a B&B, which I strongly prefer (not a fan of force mingling or sharing breakfast with strangers). The gourmet, table service breakfast ranks amongst some of the best I've had. It would easily cost $20 if not already included in the price of a stay. (It seems petty to me to complain about a small service charge as other reviewers have. Oh well). Wish I was sitting on the porch of the MaCallum House drinking one of their Elderflower Martinis right now...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2013

While visiting Mendocino, I highly recommend staying at the MacCallum House. We were in the area visiting family and it was such a relaxing, beautiful place to call home at the end of our fun filled, busy days. We chose to stay in the water tower room, which was so unique, and such a treat to wake up to views of the Pacific. Our amenities were modern, yet charming. We loved the huge whirlpool tub and sauna, and the beds were so plush and comfortable. The food was delicious, very fresh and local, really topnotch. This B & B is a such a gem in this amazingly picturesque town. We can't wait to return to the west coast, to unwind and indulge with the Mac House.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carissa Ann P
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We loved our stay at the MacCallum House last week! Mendocino is such an unexpected little gem of a town. You're driving through the winding mountain roads and then POOF there you are in this micro-city on the coast! We SO thoroughly enjoyed our (too short) time there.

Our guest house was PERFECT for our needs and was just lovely. Very modern and even had coffee and cream for the mornings. Our dinner experience at the Mac House restaurant was nothing short of exceptional. Everything we chose was delicious and the short ribs in particular were velvety and amazing. Breakfast in the restaurant was delish. (Big portions too)

We are so sorry we didn't plan to stay longer -- the setting is so gorgeous there on the coast. We always enjoy coming to California and our trip to Mendocino and the MacCallum House was a really wonderful addition to our vacation!

Room Tip: Rent one of the guest houses. It seems more private and you get your own bathroom! :o)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

When I have read about or visited Bed & Breakfast Inns, one of the most noticeable differences from a regular hotel has always been the welcoming atmosphere and how the owners took pride in what they had to offer and personally made sure your stay was comfortable. Not the case at the MacCallum House Inn. I do not think we ever saw the owners - the place seemed to be run by a bunch of otherwise out of work 20-somethings. From the first encounter with the person at the desk at the main entrance, you know this is a BUSINESS. She barely looked up when I asked her about checking-in. She motioned that I needed to go upstairs. The rest of our experience was similar. There seemed to be LOTS of rules for those staying at this Inn - don't do this, don't do that (or you will be charged). Even at the breakfast, as we were seated, we were told by the hostess "You can have an entree, but any sides or beverages are extra and we are automatically adding 18% gratuity to your bill". So much for the "breakfast" part of "Bed & Breakfast" - never encountered that before! I know why they do this - they are probably afraid that since the service is terrible throughout, they would not get tips if they were not added automatically! The food at breakfast was mediocre, at best. Our room experience echos that of many other reviews on this site, although I notice that no one had the same room as we did (#3) so that says a lot about the entire place. Our room was certainly "pet-friendly" - you could smell it as soon as you entered the room. We should have asked for another room, but I had already heard another tenant complaining and they were told that there were no other rooms available. We were tired after a long drive, so we just opened the window and hoped we could sleep through the smell. The room not only smelled, but was very dusty, musty and had a very uncomfortable feeling to it. The bed was comfortable and we both slept well. In the morning, we realized that we did not have any hot water in our sink or shower - something mentioned in other reviews, so it must be a common problem. Nothing like a cold shower on a cold morning! We couldn't wait for the water to warm up because if we left the room late, we would be charged by the hour! I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. You'd be better off camping! I know I should have said something to someone about all of this while we were there and had I run into and owner or manager, or someone who even seemed to care, I would have. But, it was clear from the inhospitable manner of everyone we encountered during our stay, that our concerns would have fallen on deaf ears.
NOTE: If you have read any of my other reviews on this site, you will notice that I am usually very generous and positive about my experiences. I only took the time to write this one because it was extremely disappointing!

Room Tip: Forget Room #3!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jgentner
MendoFan1, General Manager at MacCallum House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience with us. I want to apologize that this guests stay was not to their liking. I am unsure of about the comment 'otherwise out of work 20-somethings' means, but I find the the age of my staff varies and would say that my staff takes their job very seriously, and they are all trained to be as accommodating as possible to our visitors. Our commercial grade hot water heater was having some intermittent problems and was recently fixed by a professional service technician. I am sorry it was not functioning properly during this guests stay. The Main House where these guests stayed is entirely pet free, so I do not think any odor would have come from that source. The house is 136 years old and made entirely of wood and it is cleaned daily to limit any smells as much as possible. We take all comments from our guests to heart and continue to work on maintaining our rooms and improving our services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#9 of 25 in Mendocino
Stanford Inn by the Sea
Stanford Inn by the Sea
#6 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!