“Sumptious Suites”

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were put in the separate building about five blocks from the inn and the rooms there were fantastic. We had a separate courtyard with a wonderful working jacuzzi, great bathroom and a modern capsule coffeemaker which was a great start to the day. We could have used a little more introduction to the room since we had difficulty with the heat vs. the fireplace but the rest was perfect.
We had one dinner at the inn and it was terrific as was the subsidized breakfast. Be warned that the 4 p.m. checkin is pretty rigid which is understandable with the preparation of the jacuzzi and the rest.

Room Tip: The rooms up the hill are really terrific.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My fiancé and I took a spontaneous babymoon trip for 2 nights at the MacCallum House Inn. We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the suites (#29) which was spacious, had a balcony with ocean views, fire place, a great spa tub and an extremely comfortable bed. The suites are located a few blocks away from the main house, which is located in the middle of town. The breakfast (included with the room rate) was served in the main house and was fantastic! The restaurant uses organic, local and sustainable ingredients. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend The MacCullum House inn to anyone looking for a great place to stay in beautiful Mendocino.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in Room 19 in the barn building adjacent to the main house. A huge room, with a sauna in the bathroom, a beautiful picture window with a view of the Pacific Ocean, a large deck overlooking the Inn's garden and the ocean. The staff was very accomodating and breakfast was outstanding each morning. Would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Loved Room 19. Looked at the suites rooms that are several blocks away and much preferred the rooms...
1  Thank traveltroutfisherman
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My friend and I stopped in Mendocino, having cycled 60 miles (on a trip from Canada to Mexico by bike) and looked for a hotel to stay in. After enquiring around the town with several hotels, we were very happy to find that MacCallum House had availability at a great rate (similar in price to others in town but with a much more luxurious experience).

Despite arriving in cycling clothes, we could not have been made to feel more welcome by the receptionist (I wish I could remember her name as she deserves to be called out) and we were delighted to be given a room with an outdoor hot tub! The room itself was very spacious with luxurious finishes and the bed is amongst the best I've ever slept on.

We decided to have dinner at the restaurant and were not disappointed. Not only was the food fantastic but our waiter went above and beyond in his service and appeared to have a genuine passion for both his job and the restaurant. It was breakfast, however, that I won't forget. Without a doubt, the best breakfast burrito I had on the entire West Coast of America. As a long distance cyclist, you remember meals and of all those I had on my trip from Canada to Mexico, this was my favourite- thank you!

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. We set off the following day from Mendocino feeling revitalised and ready to ride. My only wish was that we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just got back from our weekend at MacCallum House in Mendocino. Celebrating our 33rd anniversary. What a wonderful romantic place. Our room (#29) was spacious and very well appointed. Fireplace, balcony with ocean views, large screen TV and lots of room (beautful bathroom with bathtub/spa.) Even though there we had neighbors in adjoining rooms, it was like we were there by ourselves. Extremely quiet, which we love.

The restaurant was wonderful and of course the wine selection was fabulous. We got in late Friday night yet had a delicious meal along with some live music. What a fun way to start our weekend. The location couldn't have been better. Just a block or two from the rugged Mendocino coast with many walking and bike trails. Shops and restaurants also only a block away.

The staff was extremely helpful. All questions answered in a friendly yet professional manner. This Inn is obviously well run. I would recommend MacCallum house to everyone and can't wait to get back next summer.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have a better view.
2  Thank eric s
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our stay at MacCallum House Inn wasn't bad, exactly. But it wasn't good, either. Given how expensive the MacCallum House is and their self-promotion as "luxury accommodation," there were some really odd lapses in detail and some strangely stingy-seeming pricing choices.

We stayed in No. 16, one of the ground-floor rooms in the barn. The room was pleasant enough, and nicely furnished, although a little smaller than I'd expected. I was also a little surprised that the windows open right onto the street--the sidewalk is about one foot away from the windowsill. It's a quiet street, so that didn't really matter, but I think it should at least be mentioned somewhere; the description in the brochure seemed to imply that the room has a good deal of privacy, which is misleading: "Look out over the green lawn and roses to the main house. West and south facing windows bring warmth to the rich old growth redwood beams. To the south you can see the Mendocino Bay and the pounding surf." Well, you CAN see the Bay--if you look over the parked cars and the pedestrians right outside the window.

We were also taken aback to find that the window sill next to the head of the bed had obviously not been cleaned for weeks or perhaps months. It was covered in cobwebs, some of which had leaf fragments from the plants outside embedded in them. For $230/night (including taxes) we'd expect a completely clean room. I should add that the bathroom was scrupulously clean and the bed was very comfortable -- as I said, this wasn't a *bad* stay, it just wasn't a good one.

We were also surprised that the deadbolt on the door was so loose in its socket that we couldn't get it to work; when we put the key in the lock the lock mechanism just jiggled around and wouldn't turn. The doorknob would lock, but the doorknob too was loose in its socket. This is a little unnerving in a ground-floor room whose doors open to the outside; we didn't feel very secure there. And again, for the price we paid and given that the brochure says these rooms have just been updated, this was a surprising degree of dilapidation.

The toiletries in the bathroom have a rather odd sign on them, saying that if you like them you can take them home and you'll be charged $25/bottle. We couldn't tell if this was an attempt to encourage guests to buy or a threat to keep them from stealing; either way, it just struck us as a slightly "off" note in a luxury inn. A sign saying "Our toiletries are available for purchase at the desk" or some such would have been more appropriate.

The hot water in the shower is completely unreliable if anyone else in the building is also running water. My companion had no problem with his shower, but I found that the hot water came on and off completely unpredictably; I had it adjusted as I liked it and then suddenly only cold water was coming out of the showerhead. I adjusted it to hotter, and the next minute I was scalded. I turned it back to its original setting, and 30 seconds later was drenched with ice-cold water again. Once again, in a recently renovated building and a room charging $230/night, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the plumbing to work reliably.

We were also perplexed, and annoyed, by the way the breakfast was handled. The reservation says that breakfast is "included" in the price of the room. And it is, sort of -- when we arrived in the restaurant in the morning, the hostess rattled off a little spiel about how we each got one entree and our choice of tea or coffee; any other drinks INCLUDING ORANGE JUICE were extra and an "18 percent gratuity" would be added to our bill. We've stayed in a good many excellent inns and bed and breakfasts over the years, and this is just chintzy. They're charging $230 a night for a room, and they don't include orange juice in the breakfast??? "Breakfast included" normally means that breakfast is, well, included -- food, coffee, and all. One of us ordered orange juice; one wanted a fruit plate; those plus the "gratuity" meant our "included" breakfast cost us $15 extra dollars. (And by the way, if it's an enforced charge, that's a service charge, not a gratuity. "Gratuity" means something that the diner chooses to leave, or not, depending on the service received.)

This just seems oddly tone-deaf for the kind of establishment they're running. If MacCallum House doesn't want actually to include a full breakfast, they'd do better to give vouchers--say, for $30--for guests to use towards whatever they want for breakfast and let the guests pick what they do and don't want. As it is, I didn't really want any of the entrees that came as part of my "included" breakfast; they were all too much and too fancy. I wanted two scrambled eggs and a fruit plate. But I couldn't get those without paying for them a la carte -- I wasn't allowed to substitute simple scrambled eggs for one of the entrees.

The breakfast entrees were palatable enough, but not anything special, and the whole experience left a bad taste in our mouths. The service at breakfast was all right, but the waiter was a little snippy; when I asked to have the sausage omitted from the breakfast burrito, he said "Well, if you really want to do that" in a rather snide tone. The first two cups of coffee were only lukewarm; after that, someone filled up the thermos with fresh coffee and it was better. But we've had much better breakfasts in little delis and cafes, and it was just irritating to be charged $15 extra dollars when we had thought we'd paid an inclusive price.

All in all, our stay was disappointing. For the prices they charge and the way they promote themselves, MacCallum House Inn really needs to fix all these details and to rethink their approach to their (not-so-)"included" breakfast.

2  Thank dudley2
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you are looking for a terrific place to stay, the MacCallum House is your place. This was our first visit thanks to a Travel Zoo deal. We spent two nights in the suites which are a few blocks away from the main property. Our suite (29) was quiet, very large, and nicely furnished. The bed was very comfortable and our room had a gas fireplace, large wall mounted flat screen TV, and a private balcony. The bathroom was also large and had a huge jetted tub. A gourmet breakfast is included, as well as an evening dining credit ($14) that can be used in the restaurant or bar. This was a great find and we will definitely be back

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River
Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!