“Wonderful Inn - Many Room Choices”

MacCallum House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Northern California
“Wonderful Inn - Many Room Choices”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here on a living social deal I believe. It was well worth the price I paid. I probably would pay the actual price since our room was amazing. We had stayed here before in the Suites however I did not enjoy the walk down the hill for breakfast and I did not like having to walk by the cemetery for dinner. Although the room in the suites are huge and offer far more "luxurious" amenities, I enjoyed our stay in the Carriage House (Room 10) much better. Super close to the breakfast area in the main house and the parking was right outside our door. It was very quiet and the hot tub was in a super private backyard. I used the evening credits towards take out dinner from the restaurant. It worked out nicely for us. I think next time I would take the dog since they are pet friendly. The man at the check in was very pleasant as well. I would definitely stay again. It is one of our favorite weekend getaway spots.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Roseville, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This Inn is beautiful and charming with outstanding ambience, mostly antique decor, and fabulous food. All the staff are very welcoming and friendly. You are always treated like a special friend and feel catered to. The grounds are delightful and superbly maintained. The ambience is relaxing and jeans attire is welcome.

The included daily breakfast and daily $14 credit for dinner is a very welcome twist. Dinner prices are a bit highly priced but you are truly paying for perfectly cooked organic food with a true chef's touch. Breakfast selections are limited if you stay for two or more nights, but everything is delicious and filling. One morning's special was a Frittata not to be missed. Seasonings are perfect and you can literally can taste the freshest of ingredients. Be aware that only tea and coffee are free with your order, yet the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice was more than worth it's $4 cost.

Suggestion: make certain to book your breakfast reservation in advance because the 8 a.m. seating is uncrowded with a large choice of preferred seating. You can eat on the enclosed porch patio with great scenic windows, in the main historic dining room with sunny windows or more shaded internal seating.

Before breakfast or dinner, or for drinks. there is a cozy bar area with a stone fireplace, couch and deep chair seating, and some unusual libations, plus a large premium wine selection.

We were not really hungry for a big dinner, so I order a splendid wild mushroom soup, and my husband had a wild greens salad - both of these were delicious and filling. He had a house red wine that he didn't care for, but who can tell about taste?

One night we spent in Cottage 11 with a private hot tub. It was newly remodeled and blessed with two large skylights in the sleep room, and one large horizontal one over the shower and sink. There was also a claw-foot bathtub that we did not use. It was great having the outdoor hot tub that was enclosed by a wooden fence and locking gate.

The second night we stayed in the Main House in room 6 on the top floor. It had a fantastic view of the ocean, a cove, and a few small homes. The view with an opening window above a terrace was incredible. The bathroom had been remodeled but the rest of the room with two bedrooms on either side of the large lounging hall were badly in need of remodeling. The bedrooms were dark and rather depressing and furniture, walls, and windows were dreary. The furniture was old, the wood scratched, and lighting was insufficient. Yet it had a sofa at the viewing window and one ross from the excellent TV, which provided a cozy ambience.

One bedroom had no reading lights or decent bed tables, but the beds are fantastic and nicely firm. The room is planned for remodel ad will be heaven when it's finished.

Room Tip: When you make reservations, ask specifically for rooms that are remodeled. In the Main House, rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Bought my package thru Travelzoo. Thought I was getting a good deal. Boy was I wrong. When I tried making reservations I could not get a room for two nights in a row. So I knew and so did they that we had to change rooms.

When we checked in we had room 30. We were off property in the Suites. Very nice room, except for the dirty carpet, and I mean dirty and stained. Very nice view of the ocean, and the cemetery. Yikes, the cemetery is right next door. Upon looking at the room for the next night i discovered the bathroom was downstairs, bedroom upstairs. I'm not really fond of stairs. I did not want to wake up in the middle of the night and fall trying to go to the bathroom. asked for a different room, told they were sold out, but for another hundred dollars we could upgrade to the best room on property, the barn suite room #19. ok, we payed the extra. Then they asked us to check out of the room as early as possible for cleaning and for the room change. We left at 9:30, moved our own stuff, even though they offered to.

Since they knew we were moving I expected the room to be ready early. No such luck. Checked with desk twice, room finally ready at 2:30, REALLY? Thank goodness we had our stuff with us.

Finally get to room, walk in and smelled smoke. Room was no where near as nice as the cemetery room. Whole room smelled like a fire. I realize there is a fireplace, but I have one at home that does not make my house smell that bad.

Breakfast was ok, not great but ok. Same with the dinners.

Then came checkout. Final bill 250.00. Charged $24 a night travelzoo fee, 10% room tax, 5% Mendocino preservation tax, and some other tax of 1%, and forty dollars a night for my six pound dog. $100 upgrade fee, charged the tax twice on room 19.

Oh, and at breakfast you will be charged an automatic 18% gratuity.

I won't stay here again, or use travelzoo again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lex128
Alamo, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

we bought a online deal and were not warned that our room overlooked a cemetery!!! we stayed in suite 33 and it was a Very eerie place since it was right next to a cemetery. The bathroom window literally overlooks the tombstones (I attached photo here). This might not bother some people, but it definitely bothered us. we didn't come on a vacation to be so close to cemetery. I tried to change rooms but they were all booked so we had no choice but to stay in suite 33. I am so surprised that people have not reviewed about this before!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Peehshinaz
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We’ve stayed at the MacCallum House many times over the past 20 years – usually at Christmas – and have been very pleased with the charming accommodations, primarily staying in the various cottages next to the main house. Looking for something larger, this time we selected the MacCallum Suites where we were given the Morning Glory unit, #27, on the ground floor (I can’t handle stairs). The room was indeed spacious and bright, with a comfy king bed and sliding glass doors leading to the small deck/porch where we could look out over the village and a small view of the ocean. Unfortunately, those glass doors were very dirty and one couldn’t see out them! A niggling complaint was there was also a stain on the carpet and a small tear on the bench at the foot of the bed. The oddest thing about the unit was the very comfortable sofa provided had no table where one can put drinks! We had to pull over some wooden chairs to make do. Considering the “Superior” classification of the room – and price – it didn’t meet our usual expectations of the Mac House.

The breakfasts and dinners at the MacCallum House restaurant were a different story. Magnificent! Perfect! Delicious! I was looking forward to the duck breast in huckleberry sauce which they serve at Christmas, but we learned the berries are seasonal. This time the duck came with a whole grain mustard demi glace which was perfection! Executive Chef Alan [--] an do no wrong in my book.

1 Thank Latchicoe
San Francisco
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife, our dog , and I have been going to the MacCallum House for years and just recently spent a couple of days there which we wish we would have spent elsewhere. The MacCallum House has been offering rooms on Groupon and other sites like it during the last few years. As a result, it is often sold out now during low season, however management has not increased staff levels from what would normally be on duty during low season. This has produced a situation in which the staff is overworked, stressed, rude, and unable to offer the relaxed personal service we used to associate with the MacCallum House.

Regarding our room, it was disgraceful. We stayed at the suites property up the hill in room #33 the "spa suite." This room used to rent for $399.00 per night, but has recently been reduced to $249.00 per night. That is still too much. When we arrived we found a room that at first glance appeared to have been cleaned, but upon further inspection we noticed that housekeeping had not done a thorough cleaning in a very long time. Now my wife and I are not germaphobes by any means, but of course after seeing the amount of filth we began to think of our room as a pigsty. Besides the filth, the furnishings in the room we in desperate need of repair or replacement (see photo). The condition of the furnishings would have been acceptable in a roadside motel, but not in a hotel that bills itself as a luxury inn.

Many of the rooms are pet friendly which is great for us because we like to take our big dog with us up to Mendo. In the past, having our dog with us at the MacCallum House has been great, however this time it was different. The first morning we went to eat the breakfast that was included with our rate and assumed that we would be able to eat on the porch with our dog as we had done on several occasions in the past. However on that day the dining room supervisor, Stephanie, informed me that they would not be able to serve us on the porch, that the porch was closed, and that she did not have enough staff on duty to accommodate us. After I told her that we have had breakfast on the porch on at least 10 different mornings in the past during low season and that I had informed the manager (Sara) of our need when we made our reservation. Stephanie replied that the hotel has never served breakfast on the porch during low season and that she could not help me. Essentially, she suggested that I was lying. Eventually, she said that she would accommodate us "this one time," but we chose to breakfast elsewhere as we did not want to be in a place where we did not feel welcome.

Anyway, long story short. I doubt that we will return the MacCallum House although we will return to Mendo several more times this year and in the years to come.

7 Thank MrClean69
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at MacCallum House and it just gets better every time.

The drive to MacCallum is beautiful. Winding road through the wineries and a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean.

MacCallum's location is great. A block off Main Street where shops ranging from arts and crafts to toys and bookstore.

The Inn is a throwback to the past. Sit on their porch with one of the house's very own drink concoction, and you can almost hear and smell the history of this great old house.

The garden boasts of colourful flowers and great places to just sit and relax.

Food at the MacCallum is an experience not to be missed. They offer fresh organic dishes that is true to the Chef's passion in food.

A definite must experience.

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#2 of 2 in Little River
Hill House Inn
Hill House Inn
#15 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!